Pugin

We've done magnificent business so far this close season

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It has been reported though that the cost of turning Gibson and Giannoulis permanent was already budgeted for from last season. 

Yeah, that was my understanding. I imagine the loan fee for Gilmour isnt minimal, and of course the Prem wages for Gibson, Rashica, Giannoulis, Gunn and Gilmour is going to absolutely eclipse what we were paying Emi by probably £150k p/w

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, that was my understanding. I imagine the loan fee for Gilmour isnt minimal, and of course the Prem wages for Gibson, Rashica, Giannoulis, Gunn and Gilmour is going to absolutely eclipse what we were paying Emi by probably £150k p/w

Gibson was on £40k a week at Burnley and if I remember rightly we were paying most (but not all) of that last season. I can't see us paying any less than £40k now that we've been promoted, so he's certainly going one of our top earners. It's probably not a bad estimate that those five between them are earning £150k a week more than what Buendia was earning on his own.

2 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Yes losing the best player we have ever had yup it’s been a great window so far 🤔

Oh hello . Uncle Fred , more negatives than my old photography darkroom. Cheer up it might one day end badly and you can tell us how right you were. 😉

35 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It has been reported though that the cost of turning Gibson and Giannoulis permanent was already budgeted for from last season. 

Fair Point 

35 minutes ago, Justin time said:

Oh hello . Uncle Fred , more negatives than my old photography darkroom. Cheer up it might one day end badly and you can tell us how right you were. 😉

It happens very badly virtually every time we have been in the premier league under the stowmarket 2

3 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Unexpected? I mean, yes it’s rare for a team to go straight back up after relegation (seems to be getting more common these days though) however given the lack of spending in the Premier League season and Webber’s comments about planning for relegation so we could come back stronger, AND keeping the Championship-winning corner squad together while also adding quality such as Gibson, Dowell and Giannoulis, I’d say that with all of that promotion was THE expectation. Failure to deliver would have made the lack of effort/spending in the EPL season a truly wasted opportunity.

What are the odds that if I could be 4arsed to look at your posts around the time of relegation, you'd have been saying relegated teams rarely go straight back up, and that we had missed our opportunity to establish ourselves in the PL?

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

image.thumb.jpeg.666c818c60d6a42062b0596ce83c7ab7.jpeg

EXCUSE ME!!!

gary-Doherty.jpg

💕💞💓💖💗

Edited by Nuff Said

15 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

It happens very badly virtually every time we have been in the premier league under the stowmarket 2

Well in that case I am happy for you.😊

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vazzza said:

I would say the one aspect of Emi’s game that hasn’t been replaced is his work ethic when we don’t have the ball. Everything I read and hear about Rashica implies he doesn’t do this at all - will leave us a lot more vulnerable down the right flank as it stands assuming that’s where Rashica plays. If he lines up thru the middle and Dowell plays on the right, we’re still missing that tenacity imo. 

Emi was outstanding when he left and his defensive play was excellent. But did he have this track back ethic right from the get-go. I seem to remember him chucking his toys out the pram when he got dispossessed standing with his arms in the air shouting at the ref. Is his defensive play something Farke instilled in him to make him a better all round player?  I can't remember if my memories are slightly skewed. 

We will have done 'magnificent' business once we have acquired that much needed central defender of quality .... not before. The Achilles Heel of our last campaign up there needs addressing as a matter of some priority.

Whether or whether not we need a.n. other striker on board and a.n. other defensive midfielder is clearly open to debate.

I have come around to the idea that we do ..... on both counts.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Jamal Lewis.Heavens I hope not.I think he has been found out at Newcastle.

Decent player ... some very good moments.

He should go far, despite the Toon experience. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

This is true. 

Who do you feel is our greatest ever player Cambo? 

Martin Peters ? 

Chris Sutton ?

5 hours ago, Pugin said:

If we can somehow find a Teemu mark#2 and maybe another quality player who can go wide, we look ready to have a bash at the Prem. I have a funny feeling that Spurs may at some stage be prepared to release Skipp again, which really would be the icing on the cake. I bet we are also monitoring Jamal Lewis' situation at Newcastle.

Errm... we've let Tettey and Vrancic go and Skipp has returned to Spurs.

Skipp wouldn't be the "icing on the cake" but rather a quality ball winning centre midfielder essential if we are to have any chance of survival. That can be Skipp or it can be somebody else, but it has to be somebody. Gilmour is not that player.

And why on earth would we want an expensive backup left back, the Greek is better, Lewis did not make the step up to Premiership level with us, which is why he found himself kept out of the team by a right back for a long period... seriously over rated. The Greek is better at defending and better in the final third.

Quality defensive midfielder and Pukki competition desperately needed. 

3 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

i do not know exact figures but we have spent the Emi money 

That assumes Farke would have had no budget if we didn't sell Emi.

4 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

i do not know exact figures but we have spent the Emi money 

Gibson 8m ,Rashica 9m , Giannoulis 6.5  , Gunn 5 millon and Gilmour loan fee + wages 

Now i predict we will sell or sold another then the next phase of rebuild we come in 

Gibson and Giannoulis were stated to have already been accounted for so not part of this summers budget and that was before we sold Emi. They ain’t getting away with counting them. 

We have barely spent a penny of this seasons premier league money I suspect we will be left with the usual question where has all the money gone 

3 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

We have barely spent a penny of this seasons premier league money I suspect we will be left with the usual question where has all the money gone 

Given we have just broke our all time record transfer I do wonder what would make you happy

A trip down the coast and a free packet of crisps maybe?

6 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Oh you.. 

2 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Oh you.. 

W🔱

I love finishing other people's  sentences. 

• Haha 2

We’ve done some business so far. That’s what we can really say. I don’t see where we have improved on what we finished with last season. 

Gibson is a major doubt in the premiership for me. As is Hanley  

we all know we are we will miss what Emi brings and I don’t care what you say you don’t get promoted to the premiership and sell you best player before that season starts. Yes he wanted to go you can’t stop him ect ect.  Rubbish. You’re  in the premiership son we got you there you give us a season. When you contracts shorter we’ll talk  this year you stay. 

you want to play in the top league in the world. Boom you are with us. Long way to go in your career son.

we are a long way off looking like survivors to me but heyho I’m sure I’m wrong and everything in the garden is rosey. 

When the contract's shorter they're worth less. Hence why we got Rashica for what we did when he was banded around as a £25m player the year before. Hence why we're sniffing around Ajer for fairly similar reasons. Hence why we're worried about Cantwell's contract.

I don't think many realise that tying very promising youngsters down for long contracts is EXACTLY how we get the good deals in that keep the club self-financing, and the Ajer case should make that crystal clear. If they don't get a deal done this transfer window, he can theoretically sign an agreement with less than six months to go before the end of his contract and then sod off for sweet FA.

So, this notion of keeping Buendia for another season as we'd got promoted falls flat as it would probably have had an impact on what we would have got for him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given we have just broke our all time record transfer I do wonder what would make you happy

A trip down the coast and a free packet of crisps maybe?

While few put it as bluntly as Uncle Fred there are far more fans that I speak to that are not enamoured with dealings so far than those that share your optimism. At the £8m recorded by pinkun our regular summer trip to the German second division isn’t a record signing and having sold since relegation 12 months ago 4 out of the 5 record departures it’s not completely out of order to expect some major spend to keep our team in the PL and our manager in the dugout. I think our hopes rest with Farke pulling a Wilder next season and getting far more from a team than on paper is expected.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

When the contract's shorter they're worth less. Hence why we got Rashica for what we did when he was banded around as a £25m player the year before. Hence why we're sniffing around Ajer for fairly similar reasons. Hence why we're worried about Cantwell's contract.

I don't think many realise that tying very promising youngsters down for long contracts is EXACTLY how we get the good deals in that keep the club self-financing, and the Ajer case should make that crystal clear. If they don't get a deal done this transfer window, he can theoretically sign an agreement with less than six months to go before the end of his contract and then sod off for sweet FA.

So, this notion of keeping Buendia for another season as we'd got promoted falls flat as it would probably have had an impact on what we would have got for him.

He had 3 years to go didn’t he!