The latest rumours say we are stepping up the chase for Ajer and Billings.

I read that the Celtic fans think Ajer is not that special, he’s good at bringing the ball out of defence, but not great at defending. He’s a big lad, but doesn't win much in the air.

And as for Billing seen him a few times, and wasn’t that impressed, anyone add to these thoughts?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hps2031a said:

I read that the Celtic fans think Ajer is not that special, he’s good at bringing the ball out of defence, but not great at defending. He’s a big lad, but doesn't win much in the air.

And as for Billing seen him a few times, and wasn’t that impressed, anyone add to these thoughts?

Heard both the same as you, but when I did, I couldn’t help but notice a lot of other people saying Ajer is way too good for Norwich City and is destined for a top side, and Billing is looking a real class act since being moved to an advanced role. Not sure how you’ve only read negatives on both players?

Just now, Alex Moss said:

Heard both the same as you, but when I did, I couldn’t help but notice a lot of other people saying Ajer is way too good for Norwich City and is destined for a top side, and Billing is looking a real class act since being moved to an advanced role. Not sure how you’ve only read negatives on both players?

Quite easily Alexo, both players wish to leave their respective Clubs, suddenly talk among fans turns to " sure, he's not that great anyhow, we'd get better for less money if we sell, if he doesnt want to be here we dont want him ,  never rated him,etc etc etc"

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Quite easily Alexo, both players wish to leave their respective Clubs, suddenly talk among fans turns to " sure, he's not that great anyhow, we'd get better for less money if we sell, if he doesnt want to be here we dont want him ,  never rated him,etc etc etc"

And this is very true, Corkio, so in light of that alongside the positive comments you will see, one must assume that overall both are indeed important players for their respective clubs!

Just now, Alex Moss said:

And this is very true, Corkio, so in light of that alongside the positive comments you will see, one must assume that overall both are indeed important players for their respective clubs!

Exactly....just look at the Vitriol spewed at Todd when it looked like he wanted out. You know who you are, , Fat Freddo.

FYI - this is one of those spam posts that get ripped off a Reddit from weeks ago and posted verbatim here.

This isn’t any new news, just spam. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Exactly....just look at the Vitriol spewed at Todd when it looked like he wanted out. You know who you are, , Fat Freddo.

Ha ha I think he was also getting it from Freddy when Todd was accidentally scoring against Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd etc! 

Billing feels like it’s a goer doesn’t it. Have heard whispers he’s made it clear he wants the move. 

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Ha ha I think he was also getting it from Freddy when Todd was accidentally scoring against Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd etc! 

V true. I wonder what his problem(s) is/are.  No, actually I couldn't care less.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hps2031a said:

'Celtic fans think Ajer is not that special'

They said the same about Pukki

2 hours ago, Wymondham Canaries said:

Pukki was also rubbish and not very good for Celtic. That turned out well!! 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Celtic fans think Ajer is not that special'

They said the same about Pukki

We've got several players in our squad who flopped at their previous clubs and we've had several flops ourselves that were brilliant at their previous club. I think the best conclusion to draw is that you can take these opinions from fans of a player's old club with a pinch of salt.

The fact that scouts from Norwich City and several clubs bigger than ourselves have identified him as a target over the last year or so means that there must be something about him, although that's not always a guarantee of success either, of course. 

There is such a high level of toxicity around Celtic at the moment I'd imagine you find it hard to get a positive review of any of their players (until they sell one that is and then suddenly they will be amazing and the owners were stupid to sell).

Ajer has a lot of qualities, but his strength and defensive prowess have probably been the things that have always raised a few question marks. To me, I've always seen Ajer as a great defender for a club usually on the front foot. He is a good passer and brings the ball out of defence well. He has shone for Celtic when playing the smaller teams in the SPL, the problems come when they have been on the back foot. He has also struggled a bit for Norway apparently, who don't want their defenders running up the pitch with the ball like Ajer enjoys doing.

I do have some doubts with Ajer due to the above reasons. Norwich will need to defend more than attack in the Prem and having a centreback who maybe isn't the best defender is a concern. Interesting to see what happens with Ajer as he is certainly a nice player to watch. I'd be concerned about an Ajer/Gibson back two as they are similar players and might not compliment each other.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

There is such a high level of toxicity around Celtic at the moment I'd imagine you find it hard to get a positive review of any of their players (until they sell one that is and then suddenly they will be amazing and the owners were stupid to sell).

Ajer has a lot of qualities, but his strength and defensive prowess have probably been the things that have always raised a few question marks. To me, I've always seen Ajer as a great defender for a club usually on the front foot. He is a good passer and brings the ball out of defence well. He has shone for Celtic when playing the smaller teams in the SPL, the problems come when they have been on the back foot. He has also struggled a bit for Norway apparently, who don't want their defenders running up the pitch with the ball like Ajer enjoys doing.

I do have some doubts with Ajer due to the above reasons. Norwich will need to defend more than attack in the Prem and having a centreback who maybe isn't the best defender is a concern. Interesting to see what happens with Ajer as he is certainly a nice player to watch. I'd be concerned about an Ajer/Gibson back two as they are similar players and might not compliment each other.

Precisely this. I've said before that for his size, Ajer is too easily pushed around and would much prefer Adarabioyo, who's also a decent ball-player, but grittier and more aggressive with it.

In many ways, Ajer's like Klose, but probably less effective in the air and better coming out.

Edited by TheGunnShow

14 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Do you think that Ajer could play a flexible third defender holding midfielder position in the team, where he’s given freedom to play out of defence and taking the ball forwards, playing alongside Gilmour?

Also we need to remember we are only just promoted and our budget constraints and our attraction is not that high, getting a player like Ajer at this stage would be quality in my book.

Edited by Indy

Billing has never impressed me when I've seen him, but that's probably confined to his recent games against City.

He looks the part though.

Ajar can be fancied, although there do seem to be a few question marks about his abilities.

I'm so well programmed into the Farke/Webber approach that I'll welcome any addition whatever the reservations.

I would  equally welcome alternatives to either though.

Edited by BroadstairsR

23 minutes ago, Indy said:

Do you think that Ajer could play a flexible third defender holding midfielder position in the team, where he’s given freedom to play out of defence and taking the ball forwards, playing alongside Gilmour?

Also we need to remember we are only just promoted and our budget constraints and our attraction is not that high, getting a player like Ajer at this stage would be quality in my book.

Or even in front of a back 3 at times..?

Amen to your 2nd paragraph, btw

33 minutes ago, Indy said:

Possibly, not sure he is a defensive midfielder myself, but could work. In a back three I think he'd work well.

I agree that he is a good player, but if he is a good player with a skill set that doesn't suit Norwich then the money could possibly be better spent elsewhere. It is like if Norwich had the option to sign someone like Chris Woods - great striker, but just wouldn't suit Norwich's style so the club wouldn't be able to make the most of him.

51 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes I do.
I think that position would suit him fine,just as I thought Stiepermann would make a better midfield player when he was being used as a stand in left back

47 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Or even in front of a back 3 at times..?

Amen to your 2nd paragraph, btw

He won't be playing in front of a back three. People have this fascination with a back three, but why would you play one of our best three CB's in a DM position meaning we would have to deploy ALL of our CB's to the field? Do we not remember our last premier league season?

No new signing’s performance is guaranteed to turn out the same for their new club as it was their previous club. It can turn out better, worse or the same, you just need to give them some time to settle in and make a few first team appearances. Look at Hooper and Pukki for example 

Hooper = great for Celtic, poor for us

Pukki = poor for Celtic, great for us

We are believed to have had a £10m offer for Ajer turned down, with Celtic supposedly wanting £12.5m. Ajer has said that he thinks Celtic should let him go for £10m, so they can get some money for him before his contract expires.

Edited by HazzaJet

8 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Hooper = great for Celtic, poor for us

Pukki = poor for Celtic, great for us

I recall Hoops fans explaining Hooper’s lack of performance in relation to Norwich not being good enough to use him well. They then explained Pukki’s excellence for us as demonstrating the low quality of the Championship.

2 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

I recall Hoops fans explaining Hooper’s lack of performance in relation to Norwich not being good enough to use him well. They then explained Pukki’s excellence for us as demonstrating the low quality of the Championship.

That is quite brilliant ha ha 

47 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

That is quite brilliant ha ha 

Pretzel-esque!

11 hours ago, hps2031a said:

The problem with anecdotal information is that our scouting is data led, which means they consider the things like number of aerial duals won and lost. 

So I'll trust that process over a few bitter Celtic fans on twitter. 

And if you are paying £12m for a player you want there to be areas to improve on don't you? To turn them into a £24m player? 

21 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

You would think though that if they are able to find players cleverly through data and a deep knowledge of leagues and markets (Buendia, Giannoulis, Rashica etc), then they would also be able to recognize these more "simple" observations and thus adjust accordingly?

These anecdotal assessments of Ajer are mostly off beam.

His tackling stats are better than Gibson and Hanley's and he's quicker than both.

Plus he's strong in the air and his pass completion is excellent.

The data for all three is in Who Scored- look it up.

This player loves to tackle and he's 6' 5'' and is surprisingly agile and well balanced for a big lad plus he's got some gas for a CB. 

If Webber is going to spend a fat wedge on this player it is because even at £10m plus he sees value.

That should say it all. 

• Like 2