Sign in to follow this  
Dave_O

So you want Worthy out eh?

Now, don''t start barracking me because this is my first post.  I just want to know who the Worthy Outers have in mind as a new manager and, based upon their opinions, what the new man in would bring to the club to improve our current situation.

In my opinion, even if we changed managers right now, I''m not sure it would make the slightest bit of difference to our season.  We have no consistency, I understand that, but we also had a run of 5 straight wins not so long back and I''m sure a similar return to that sort of form could be achieved this season, regardless of whether Worthy remains or not.

So who would you have and what would they do so differently? 

Welcome Dave and a damn good post to kick off with!

It''s easy for those of us like me to say...''just sack the manager'' but as I tried to point out to the Board at the Diss meeting, what Worthy should be judged on is the TREND of results (and this season the performances too). 18 wins in 70 league games, not that impressive really is it?

Back to your question, I honestly don''t know and if the truth be known neither do the Board re who to get in as a replacement but these are my recommendations:

1. Appoint a headhunter to identify potential targets. If Delia can bring herself to apologise to Bruce Rioch I would get him involved in the process. I would even consider him in a general manager role with a young coach (like Boothroyd) doing the training and team selection. Other candidates for the headhunter role would be Graham Taylor, Bobby Robson, David Pleat someone like that.

2. The Board then select from the list of targets provided.

3. Critreia should be a commitment to playing positive, attacking football, man management ability combining a no nonsense disciplined style with treating all players on their merit, true commitment to developing our own young talent and giving them real opportunities.

4. Age should not debar potential candidates nor should a so called ''lack of experience'' - Boothroyd is a classic case to prove that.  Often you find that so called ''experienced'' managers are too set in their ways.     

Quite honestly I don''t know who is out there but Watford did their homework and look how it''s paid off (so far). I do NOT believe that Boothroyd was a ''one off''. There must be others out there. It would be up to the headhunter to identify them.

Failing that we should get Mike Newell - good record at Luton, his team play the right way and he has shown with his bung allegations that he is prepared to stand up to the ''shady'' side of football. Well done to him I say.      

[quote user="Dave_O"]

Now, don''t start barracking me because this is my first post.  I just want to know who the Worthy Outers have in mind as a new manager and, based upon their opinions, what the new man in would bring to the club to improve our current situation.

In my opinion, even if we changed managers right now, I''m not sure it would make the slightest bit of difference to our season.  We have no consistency, I understand that, but we also had a run of 5 straight wins not so long back and I''m sure a similar return to that sort of form could be achieved this season, regardless of whether Worthy remains or not.

So who would you have and what would they do so differently? 

[/quote]

Carrow Road employee alert maybe?.

Mike Newell as manager,Mark Bowen coaching

No it wouldnt make a lot of difference to this season but it would put

us further ahead for next season,than bringing in new management at the

end of the season.Im sure the passing game that we are all so used to

seeing at Carrow Road would not be long in returning.

Also gives the new guys time to have a good old clear out of the

players he doesnt think he will need.You never know they might even

bring in a right midfielder :).

i feel everyone Pins it on Worthington but i have always doubted the coaches and would rather see them out. I dont think they do anything, we never score free kicks, we rarely beat the first man on a corner and we dont know how to pass - that is the coaches job to teach them, more than the managers.

I am, not having a go but in my opinion:

we have got some consistency mate we are consistently runbbish, we are in fact playing far worse now than at the start of the season. All in all even after the 5 wins Carrow road felt stale, everything at the club has gone stale, even the 3.5 million signing of Rob Earnshaw did not help that. The atmosphere at recent home games has been the worst I can remember EVER!! no noise, no enthusiasm, expectation to lose from the fans, players and management alike.

It has all gone horribly wrong  and shows absolutely zero signs of improving.

For gawds sake....give over.How many times do you have to be told.  There is no mass conspirancy out there.  Believe it or not in this free world we have freedom of speech whereby not everybody has to agree with every word you say.  You really are pathetic at times!To answer the question.  I really think the board are right.......there is nobody out their who has the CV that worthy does.  That, however, shouldn''t stop us from getting rid of him.  I wouldn''t mind a young manager coming in.  the Brentford manager or even Adie (i think he''d still come here if we approached him)

welcome.  if you look through posts over the last 6 months, you can see plenty of opinion on why fans would like to see worthy replaced and also who they would like to replace him.  you''re ''who would replace him'' question is a plea to stick with the status quo based on fear of change.  there''s lots of alternatives, but i think we need a manager who has proved he can work with quality players to get the side to gel and who can get the side to play attractive football.  for me, mark bowen fits the bill.  although never a manager, he has been assistant/coach to curbishly, bruce and currently mark hughes since leaving city as a player. 

[quote user="Big A"]

I wouldn''t mind a young manager coming in.  the Brentford manager or even Adie (i think he''d still come here if we approached him)
[/quote]

Worthy is an old sod who is to set in his ways. A Fully agree that Clive Allen would be a good replacement, Also i would love to have Adie from watford (We are a bigger club than them I''m sure he would be interested)

[quote user="A load of squit"]

"1. Appoint a headhunter to identify potential targets."

The last time we did this we ended up with the Rioch and Hamilton partnership!

[/quote]

What was wrong with Rioch?? he never had the millions worthy has pissed down the crapper.....

Paul, I believe that the bad atmosphere at Carrow has a lot to do with the appearance of the Glory-hunters, and also the families looking for a pleasant (winning) day out suddenly finding that losing games isn''t to their taste.

Anyone that watched us throughout the mid to late 90''s remembers how bad it can actually get!

They won''t renew their season tickets, and next year should be a little more noisy, at least I hope it will.

There are plenty of talented young managers out there (Allen, Parkinson, Newell, holloway, Jackett, Bowen, Crook) and several odd but experienced ones (O''neill. Evans, Souness) who would all be keen to have a go at managing this club and give it a decent go - none come with a success guarantee of course.

The main advantage in getting them in before the end of the season is not to turn the season around (that was gone as long ago as Nov) but to give the new boy a chance to work with the squad to make a real assesment of who he can keep, who needs to go and what gaps he needs to fill, without the pressure of contracts ending and transfer deadlines approaching.  The fact he will have to work with teh squad coz he cant buy would focus the mind and allow preps for the summer and a (hopefully) glorious next season or beyond. 

Paul Sturrock.

3 promotions, 1 Cup final and Europe with Southampton (who were odds on faves to go down)

Its worth noting they had their highest premiership finish since the 80''s with him at the helm (10th).....

when worthy was appointed, with his ''amazing'' track record... did u think he was the best man for the job?

jas :)

In addition to what other posters have said, any new manager must also be able to handle bigger names (''stars'') which I believe NW has failed to manage well.

I agree that our season would not change significantly but if there was a gradual change towards playing football on the ground, and clarity regarding tactics, positional play, individual and team responsibilities then this would surely provide the bedrock for more substantial change next season.

The poor performances that fans are getting so irate about have been occurring fairly regularly since the beginning of the season so it is not a blip we are experiencing. Worthy is unlikely to change the current team into one who will be challenging for play-off places come April so why keep him that long?

Finally Dave O, around a quarter of the current squad will be eligible to leave in June and this includes McVeigh and two goalkeepers. Around 45% of the remaining squad could leave the following season. We need someone who can give this club a positive future because it will not be long before the worst case scenario will be much worse than it is at present.

Good points Paul! I''m not sure exactly who I would like to see in charge. This is why up until late I''ve been reserved in calling for Worthy out. However I think things have got so bad of late that there are a lot of candidates that would probably do a better job now. I know it might not change much about this season but it would enable us to start rebuilding ready for a concerted title/promotion challenge next season!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]and several odd but experienced ones (O''neill. Evans, Souness) who would all be keen to have a go at managing this club and give it a decent go - none come with a success guarantee of course.[/quote]Odd is right, at least in the case of Souness.You''re not seriously suggesting you''d welcome him here tomorrow over Worthington. Cos I wouldn''t.

Your having a laugh right! You see that whats going on is toally acceptable? Forget about the late 90''s, todays date is 08 Feburary 2006 and we are CRAP!

What a stupid post!

Adie Boothroyd would NOT swap a team verging on promotion for a mid table team! I should also imagine that someone like Newcastle would be tempted by him also.Talk about unrealistic - Newell is more realistic.

No - personally I would no fancy souness here but I still think we would be an attractive club to work for as a manager - good fan base, financially stable and loyal board - and that woudl attract more high proile managers than we may feel possible as fans...   but like plyers you want a manager who is hungry and still has something to prove, just like Worthy when he joined...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Paul Sturrock.

3 promotions, 1 Cup final and Europe with Southampton (who were odds on faves to go down)

Its worth noting they had their highest premiership finish since the 80''s with him at the helm (10th).....

when worthy was appointed, with his ''amazing'' track record... did u think he was the best man for the job?

jas :)

[/quote]

I''m not sure you''ve got all your facts right here Jas?

Sturrock took over towards the end of the season after Strachan took Southampton to 8th and the Cup final. Not quite sure where they finished under Sturrock, but most of the points came while Strachan was still manager. Lowe then sacked Sturrock 2 games into last season (2004-5).

Dario Gradi. Good passing football and brings on new talent from within. But isn''t he also a director at Crewe, even if he isn''t would he uproot after so many years in the North West?  I am sorry to say it, but I am now firmly a Worthy Outer, it breaks my heart to say it after what he has done for NCFC but he has taken us as far as he can.  Sorry Nigel.  

I don''t intend to sound patronising, Weston, when I say "Well done" for having the honesty to say that you''ve changed to a ''Worthy Out'' stance. I agree with your sentiment - he''s done his best, but it''s no longer good enough.