Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Exciting times ahead

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

When Farke came in, he was given James Husband for an undisclosed sum and Marley Watkins came in on a free. He bought Giannoulis for £6m and Rashica for £9.4m - in the space of 4 years.

And he's done that including renovating the training facilities, putting in this new SoccerBot technology, trimming the wage bill to start with and making us more financially resilient. In 4 years.

Even if progress in the league table has been harder to find, it's clear that off the pitch we really are making progress.

Exactly, and you would have to say that it’s only a matter of time before there’s a significant positive knock on effect on the pitch too. And personally I’m confident we’re going to see that very soon, an improved Norwich City in the Premier League, this time around - just as we saw an even more impressive and stronger Championship title win last season compared to our effort in 18/19 - I expect there to be that parallel. We are definitely moving forward and that’s why I find this self sustainable model very satisfying to watch as it slowly but surely blossoms. 

Yes the crazy CB injury list we had  really was the last thing we needed  but the nail that really hit our coffin was the start of the Covid era of course..we were bottom when that kicked off and those weeks when everything seemed up in the air was not helpful at all..when the matches restarted we never looked like taking a point of anyone and thats how it proved to be. But  look what happened then..a gruelling 46 game season condensed from mid Sept. to first week in May..and City simply were head and shoulders above the rest.

We start afresh again in a new Prem season...relegation has become normal for our club  so why be scared if it happens again?..but instead why not be positive whatever happens..looks like the crowds may be coming back at last...a raucous Carra that some of our players have not tasted...new faces to enjoy...i dunno..so many ups and downs in this world of Prem / Champs yo yoing but im loving every second of it..the era of DF and SW feels like a million miles away from the Hughton and Neil years.even though those guys did have some good achievements. I agree with Alex above..we are moving forward for sure, season upon season.

10 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Exactly, and you would have to say that it’s only a matter of time before there’s a significant positive knock on effect on the pitch too. And personally I’m confident we’re going to see that very soon, an improved Norwich City in the Premier League, this time around - just as we saw an even more impressive and stronger Championship title win last season compared to our effort in 18/19 - I expect there to be that parallel. We are definitely moving forward and that’s why I find this self sustainable model very satisfying to watch as it slowly but surely blossoms. 

Nice way of putting it , Alex 👌
It does make you feel apprehensive though when you hear about your star players, those that mainly got you there, being sold or rumoured to be signing elsewhere. This is part of the self sustainable model too admittedly ! Yet to stay up , you need players that are good enough, self sustainable or not. I feel we will let ourselves down if we would sell the likes of Cantwell and Aarons too for example , after selling Emi. These are just boots too big to fill atm imho... I mean , a replacement of say 6 m £ wouldn't fit those boots...(usually I have to add).  I know Webber has unearthed a few diamonds and done transfer business that's extraordinary, but you can't expect that to happen 3 times in one window tbh.

I too have seen the positive evolution like you indicate , but a lot had to do with keeping faith in Farke and keeping hold of quite a few players! Losing three mainstays would be quite bitter and a sucker punch imho. 

Another point that I don't think has been mentioned on here is that Farke is two years older and wiser. He's a vastly intelligent manager, and will have learnt from the experiences of last time and will be desperate for that not to happen again.

All we need to do is remain better than Watford and Brentford, and then finish above one other team. Palace, Brighton, Burnley, Newcastle, Southampton, Leeds? Looking at the quality of the top ten teams (traditional 'big six', Leicester, Villa, Everton and West Ham), we'd do remarkably well to finish above any of those. I think survival is eminently achievable, but I'd still bite your hand off for 17th. Talk of the top ten is wildly optimistic.

5 hours ago, Essjayess said:

Yes the crazy CB injury list we had  really was the last thing we needed  but the nail that really hit our coffin was the start of the Covid era of course..we were bottom when that kicked off and those weeks when everything seemed up in the air was not helpful at all..when the matches restarted we never looked like taking a point of anyone and thats how it proved to be. But  look what happened then..a gruelling 46 game season condensed from mid Sept. to first week in May..and City simply were head and shoulders above the rest.

We start afresh again in a new Prem season...relegation has become normal for our club  so why be scared if it happens again?..but instead why not be positive whatever happens..looks like the crowds may be coming back at last...a raucous Carra that some of our players have not tasted...new faces to enjoy...i dunno..so many ups and downs in this world of Prem / Champs yo yoing but im loving every second of it..the era of DF and SW feels like a million miles away from the Hughton and Neil years.even though those guys did have some good achievements. I agree with Alex above..we are moving forward for sure, season upon season.

Yep agreed Essjayess (out of likes!). I think a full Carrow Rd on the opening fixture of the season will certainly not do Liverpool any favours whilst getting our players adrenaline pumping in a positive way, so will be interesting to see what happens. We might lose, sure, but these are the challenges we will relish, and I feel quietly confident that we’re going to get a result.

The injuries screwed us last time around, but even so, I’m feeling more confident with what we have at the back now for instance compared to what we went in with last time, especially if all of them are fit! Fingers crossed we don’t pick up any serious injuries in pre season! 

40 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Nice way of putting it , Alex 👌
It does make you feel apprehensive though when you hear about your star players, those that mainly got you there, being sold or rumoured to be signing elsewhere. This is part of the self sustainable model too admittedly ! Yet to stay up , you need players that are good enough, self sustainable or not. I feel we will let ourselves down if we would sell the likes of Cantwell and Aarons too for example , after selling Emi. These are just boots too big to fill atm imho... I mean , a replacement of say 6 m £ wouldn't fit those boots...(usually I have to add).  I know Webber has unearthed a few diamonds and done transfer business that's extraordinary, but you can't expect that to happen 3 times in one window tbh.

I too have seen the positive evolution like you indicate , but a lot had to do with keeping faith in Farke and keeping hold of quite a few players! Losing three mainstays would be quite bitter and a sucker punch imho. 

Totally hear what you’re saying, Flecky - I think we’d all have loved to have kept Emi for sure, but on reflection I can see the merits of this transfer for instance - if we continue to sell 1 decent player for money that we can reinvest for say 3 (and I know it’s a gamble but let’s face it, we have a pretty savvy recruitment team overall), then the logical outcome is that the first 11 and squad as a whole will just get stronger and stronger season on season, so I can see what’s happening here and I think it’s a pretty damn smart way of building Norwich City year on year. We as supporters will reap the rewards with a little patience and trust 👍

Can anyone tell us where the goals are coming from next season, 

Speculative guess - Rashica 6 (total unknown in the prem) Pukki 10 (based on last time in the prem and he is 2 years older), Cantwell 5, Dowell maybe 4 or 5. 

Big worry for me, as much love the guy.... I don't think Pukki should be our go to man for goals, personally he isn't clinical enough at the top level. 

100% trust Webber and Farke this time around 

Edited by urdie_Canary

3 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

Can anyone tell us where the goals are coming from next season, 

Speculative guess - Rashica 6 (total unknown in the prem) Pukki 10 (based on last time in the prem and he is 2 years older), Cantwell 5, Dowell maybe 4 or 5. 

Big worry for me, as much love the guy.... I don't think Pukki should be our go to man for goals, personally he isn't clinical enough at the top level. 

100% trust Webber and Farke this time around 

Pukki is older, sure, but not sure how you can say he isn’t clinical enough - he was only properly fit for the first 18 games whereupon he banged in 11 goals. If that’s not clinical then I don’t know what is.

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Pukki is older, sure, but not sure how you can say he isn’t clinical enough - he was only properly fit for the first 18 games whereupon he banged in 11 goals. If that’s not clinical then I don’t know what is.

Sorry, I cant see how if you have watched him last season you can say he is clinical. 

After the good form ran out how did he get on after 18 games, terrible, but suffered much like the team. I just have a feeling getting a fully fit Pukki is a lot to ask, he looks very tired and slightly off it, hopefully he is can get back to full fitness in time 

Just now, urdie_Canary said:

Sorry, I cant see how if you have watched him last season you can say he is clinical. 

After the good form ran out how did he get on after 18 games, terrible, but suffered much like the team. I just have a feeling getting a fully fit Pukki is a lot to ask, he looks very tired and slightly off it, hopefully he is can get back to full fitness in time 

You do recognise he was playing injured for half a season don’t you? He bust his toe from the 18th game I believe. Perfectly understandable that the he wasn’t as sharp from that point on.

9 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

You do recognise he was playing injured for half a season don’t you? He bust his toe from the 18th game I believe. Perfectly understandable that the he wasn’t as sharp from that point on.

Yes I realise that, the effects of all these injuries and his age isn't going to make him a sharper player.

I know for Finland he was carrying a knock too but he looked so unlike Pukki who we know and love.

Remember we have now lost the key link for Pukkis superb form, Buendia. 

End of the day we need a clinical striker to keep us up.