Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Exciting times ahead

1 hour ago, Justin time said:

Hanley good enough for Scotland but not good enough for the premiership?

Not really a bench mark is it.  Not good enough last time not good enough this time. 

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

I see little point, 10 pints of ‘Hope and Optimism’ ain’t gonna help you.

You have literally completely given up on your club next season. What’s the point of feeling like that, long before it’s even happened?

I said the other day we could sign Messi on a free this summer, and someone would still find only the negatives in that whilst ignoring the overwhelming positives. And that someone would be you 💯 

I have to look at facts it how I am. It’s ok to believe and let your heart rule your head from time to time. But there has to be some basis to stand behind. 

yes I have a belief we could win the Euros, my head is telling Italy look the best side in the tournament but my heart says we’re growing in to it we have a goals scorer or two and some decent team spirt why not. 

When it comes to the premiership my head is telling me we will be woefully under gunned, too lightweight in midfield to compete and ship far to many goals. Thing is my heart is saying if only we’d kept Emi, if only we could add a bit of premiership experience (not just a kid who’s played a handful of games in a team of superstars) then maybe we’d have a chance. But my heart is already broken at the departure of one of the greatest players we will ever have without even getting to see him in flesh last season. And my heart knows we won’t sign any premiership experience because, we can’t attract them and we won’t pay for them. 

It doesn’t me I won’t be there cheering ever kick god willing but I see zero improvement as a whole from last time so why would I expect a better outcome! That doesn’t make me a bad person it just means in not deluded!

15 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I have to look at facts it how I am. It’s ok to believe and let your heart rule your head from time to time. But there has to be some basis to stand behind. 

yes I have a belief we could win the Euros, my head is telling Italy look the best side in the tournament but my heart says we’re growing in to it we have a goals scorer or two and some decent team spirt why not. 

When it comes to the premiership my head is telling me we will be woefully under gunned, too lightweight in midfield to compete and ship far to many goals. Thing is my heart is saying if only we’d kept Emi, if only we could add a bit of premiership experience (not just a kid who’s played a handful of games in a team of superstars) then maybe we’d have a chance. But my heart is already broken at the departure of one of the greatest players we will ever have without even getting to see him in flesh last season. And my heart knows we won’t sign any premiership experience because, we can’t attract them and we won’t pay for them. 

It doesn’t me I won’t be there cheering ever kick god willing but I see zero improvement as a whole from last time so why would I expect a better outcome! That doesn’t make me a bad person it just means in not deluded!

Don’t think you’re a bad person, Hardhouse! Not at all. I just think having a little bit of optimism and an open mind could do yourself some good! Your opinions of course stand as much as any other posters, but fret about the worse case scenario in the event rather than before - you never know, you might find you were concerned for no reason! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Not really a bench mark is it.  Not good enough last time not good enough this time. 

Ok so you don’t think players can improve?

I think we are 2 or 3 players short at the moment and agree that currently the squad is weaker than last season.

But if we can bring a few more in, and not lose Max and Todd, I don't see why we should be nailed on certs for relegation.

I'm not expecting much in terms of points from the first 4 games but hopefully the performances will be good enough to get a bit of confidence to move forwar. The next 15 games become hugely important and we need to target at least 15 points from those.

I will be disappointed if we are relegated as I fear it will trigger a period of change for the club.

I'd rip your hands off for 17th to be honest.

59 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Everybody knows it's literally imposible for players to improve in any way. Anyone remember that, what was his name, Harry Kane? Not a single goal for us, what a flop. Not good enough probably off playing in the Columbion 3rd tier.

Pukki? Could not even cut it in the Scottish divison, why did we even buy him?

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, but I am talking in the same season. Survival - as in get to 40 points, once that is achieved see how many games are left and push on. The sooner that target is reached, the pressure reduces and the team can enjoy expressing themselves without pressure.

I’ll be ecstatic if we get to 40 points, let alone with some games still to play personally.

Edited by Monty13
Spelling
  • Like 3

Disappointed that many think we will be relegated.cant see this with the squad we are building ,mid table is achievable. If u aim for 4th from bottom u will be relegated. 

Like most people I can see both sides of this but I think it's too early to make any judgements. I am as disappointed as anyone that Emi has left, but I also try to reconcile that with the fact that he wasn't good enough either last time we were in the PL - just as several others didn't really step up, neither did he.

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

Like most people I can see both sides of this but I think it's too early to make any judgements. I am as disappointed as anyone that Emi has left, but I also try to reconcile that with the fact that he wasn't good enough either last time we were in the PL - just as several others didn't really step up, neither did he.

Emi Buendia won’t do nothing for Aston Villa. How do I know this for sure? Because I just signed him for my PL dream team yesterday, and I can guarantee you that is the single fastest way to turn a player to complete and utter shOite

• Haha 1

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

Without Emi, 17th would be an incredible achievement. People thinking about mid-table etc are off their rocker.

What about the top 4 protagonist coupled with a cup?

Next season will be tough. The sad statement is, 17th in the Table is success. But let us not forget. the last time we were in the Prem., we had an absolute awful amount of injuries. Centre Back pairings were changing weekly. Surely we cannot suffer that again ?  Let's hope a lot has been learned and we are better prepared. Maybe with a little luck to go with us. C O Y Y

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Emi Buendia won’t do nothing for Aston Villa. How do I know this for sure? Because I just signed him for my PL dream team yesterday, and I can guarantee you that is the single fastest way to turn a player to complete and utter shOite

Haha, double hex on Emi then as I did same thing, expecting him to drop to the bench by game 4 now.

afraid I’m in the camp of thinking on paper our team is weaker than the start of last season currently. Shame because this was the summer I was hoping for big strides but still couple of months to go and fingers crossed. I believe we can survive but it will come down to tactics and management rather than the names on the team sheet as we just can’t put a squad of 16/17 premier league players together financially. Farke will earn his wages next season and then some to keep us up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

What about the top 4 protagonist coupled with a cup?

Right now if you offered me 17th or a cup run I'd take 17th.

18th but win the FA cup.....much harder to call.

24 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Haha, double hex on Emi then as I did same thing, expecting him to drop to the bench by game 4 now.

afraid I’m in the camp of thinking on paper our team is weaker than the start of last season currently. Shame because this was the summer I was hoping for big strides but still couple of months to go and fingers crossed. I believe we can survive but it will come down to tactics and management rather than the names on the team sheet as we just can’t put a squad of 16/17 premier league players together financially. Farke will earn his wages next season and then some to keep us up.

I’d swap him out right now unless you want a return in those 4 of no points and a straight red card, SOG! 🤣

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Right now if you offered me 17th or a cup run I'd take 17th.

18th but win the FA cup.....much harder to call.

Complete gimmie for me, 17th every day of the week - the finances are so important for us.

If it’s 17th and then become an established premier league team I would take that. If it’s 17th and then no guarantee of staying up the next year, it’s got to be relegation and win the FA Cup. 

We had a period of staying in the prem for 3 or so years, and now have absolutely nothing to show for it really. We’ve effectively been building ourselves back up after the money was ‘spunked up the wall’ as Webber said. It would be great to win the cup. 

We have lots of different players compared to last time around, and there will surely be more.

We definitely have a better defence. Billy Gilmour will provide some top drawer quality running the centre of the park.

And for all of Emi’s nice stats, I’d be very surprised if Mr Rashica doesn’t match Emi’s overall PL goal tally by September. 1 goal a season I feel is quite replaceable. 

We have more players to come in of a higher quality, and providing we don’t sustain the injuries we did, I see absolutely no reason why we can’t do better than last time around.  I think this Norwich City stays up and finishes somewhere midtable, and that’s without factoring in there’s a lot of clubs in various states of disarray right now.

Seen the doubts all before at the start of last season, Webber and Farke chewed them up and spat them out in style.

20 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Everybody knows it's literally imposible for players to improve in any way. Anyone remember that, what was his name, Harry Kane? Not a single goal for us, what a flop. Not good enough probably off playing in the Columbion 3rd tier.

Pukki? Could not even cut it in the Scottish divison, why did we even buy him?

We didn't buy him. Keep up.

On 03/07/2021 at 14:57, mr footy said:

With recent signings this looks like being a great season for us.A top half finish is a possibility this season.Exciting times ahead with the youth teams producing future players

Top half... calm down. 17th is good enough for me.

Where are all the goals coming from btw???

23 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

He was injured for the majority of the last time... and when he did play, we were better than without him. 

• Like 1

On 04/07/2021 at 14:18, Hardhouse44 said:

But Emi was so good last time that we’re doomed without him? 

Edited by Nuff Said

We will be ok. The squad will improve over the next couple of months. That's why players like Steiperman, Vrancic, Quintilla and Tettey have moved on, and I would not be surprised if Zimmerman were to follow. Players like Gilmour, Radicho and Giannoulis would not have joined us if they thought we would be having the previous PL season again.

If we can pull off Ajer and Billing, then add a decent striker who can challenge Pukki, with keeping Aarons then with a little bit of luck, not too many long term injuries we could certainly put up a decent showing and possibly stay up. 
There’s lots to be positive about the two permanent signings, Gilmour on loan and getting lots of deadwood off our books certainly looks like the club are certainly giving it the best go we can, can only praise the staff and club……💚💛

• Like 1

As said before and this is not saying we can't stay up but are we stronger than the team we went up with. We came up with 3 loan players playing a major part. 2 have been made permanent so no change apart from money out of our budget. The 2 players I had as players of the season are no longer with us. Yes we have signed 2 players who I am very happy with but would rather have kept Skipp and Buendia as I know what they are capable of. Still more signings to be made and I am living in hope but 17th would do me fine. 

Selling Coutinho and Suarez worked pretty well for Liverpool in the end, right?

So, selling Buendia represents an opportunity. Not just in transfer terms regarding financing the next acquisitions, but also within the team as the likes of Dowell and Cantwell should then be able to see "right, that top creative position is up for grabs!"

Buendia was wonderful for us, but we did rely on him a heck of a lot. Can't be too dependent on one player. If Rashica kicks in quickly with his extra pace and trickery on the ball, it should provide more space for the likes of Cantwell and Dowell to cause their own brand of havoc via deftly-picked passes or letting it rip from just outside the box.

8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Selling Coutinho and Suarez worked pretty well for Liverpool in the end, right?

So, selling Buendia represents an opportunity. Not just in transfer terms regarding financing the next acquisitions, but also within the team as the likes of Dowell and Cantwell should then be able to see "right, that top creative position is up for grabs!"

Buendia was wonderful for us, but we did rely on him a heck of a lot. Can't be too dependent on one player. If Rashica kicks in quickly with his extra pace and trickery on the ball, it should provide more space for the likes of Cantwell and Dowell to cause their own brand of havoc via deftly-picked passes or letting it rip from just outside the box.

Think this is very true about being over reliant on one player. You only had to see how chalk and cheese Aston Villa were last season to how well they played with Grealish, yet went to pot without him. They simply were too reliant on him and it showed the moment he got injured. As much as Emi was a joy to watch, I just feel like by sacrificing him and getting in someone who can hopefully produce a similar end product in terms of goals etc, then even though we might lose a little there then I think that can actually be outweighed by using the rest of the money to upgrade in a couple of other areas effectively meaning that the team is being strengthened overall. This is why I’m not adverse at all to us selling Max - he’s a fantastic little aggressive RB but for the money I’d feel pretty confident that we could pull out a decent quality replacement for say £10mil whilst having a further £20mil or so to upgrade other areas of the team. This is of course the self sustainable model being put into effect which should in theory allow us to strengthen year on year, until at least Webber and Farke move on but hopefully that won’t be for a while yet if our ambitions match theirs. 

14 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Think this is very true about being over reliant on one player. You only had to see how chalk and cheese Aston Villa were last season to how well they played with Grealish, yet went to pot without him. They simply were too reliant on him and it showed the moment he got injured. As much as Emi was a joy to watch, I just feel like by sacrificing him and getting in someone who can hopefully produce a similar end product in terms of goals etc, then even though we might lose a little there then I think that can actually be outweighed by using the rest of the money to upgrade in a couple of other areas effectively meaning that the team is being strengthened overall. This is why I’m not adverse at all to us selling Max - he’s a fantastic little aggressive RB but for the money I’d feel pretty confident that we could pull out a decent quality replacement for say £10mil whilst having a further £20mil or so to upgrade other areas of the team. This is of course the self sustainable model being put into effect which should in theory allow us to strengthen year on year, until at least Webber and Farke move on but hopefully that won’t be for a while yet if our ambitions match theirs. 

When Farke came in, he was given James Husband for an undisclosed sum and Marley Watkins came in on a free. He bought Giannoulis for £6m and Rashica for £9.4m - in the space of 4 years.

And he's done that including renovating the training facilities, putting in this new SoccerBot technology, trimming the wage bill to start with and making us more financially resilient. In 4 years.

Even if progress in the league table has been harder to find, it's clear that off the pitch we really are making progress.

• Thanks 1