Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Exciting times ahead

With recent signings this looks like being a great season for us.A top half finish is a possibility this season.Exciting times ahead with the youth teams producing future players

Top half? I wish I had your optimism. I still think we've got a way to go before we can think about surviving... We've just lost our best player, and foreign signings such as Rashica don't always hit the ground running with moving to a new country and all.

A few more quality signings should give us a bit of hope but time will tell whether everything gels and we can remain injury free in crucial areas of the pitch this time. I think it's also concerning how knackered/unfit Pukki has looked recently.  We need to bring in another goal machine to relieve some of the pressure on him. 

Edited by crab man
  • Like 1

Here we go again! We’ll have Lakey giving us top 4 finish again soon! Reality is we’re fighting relegation and I think 99% of us would be ecstatic at 17th come end of season!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just had this convo with a cloggie mate who follows us, he said 17 th would constitute success, I suppose he's right  but I'd love to,see a comfy 14th or  better. We,started talking about Billy Gilmour and his response was ........" what a coup, well done Norwich" . 

Let's see who comes in and goes out. We're still a centre-half and a centre-midfield light as a minimum. In the double pivot we now have Gilmour, McLean, Rupp, Sorensen and there's no guarantee we'll get Skipp. As much as the Origi rumour was bobbins, he's actually the sort of guy I wouldn't mind as a second loan. Rupp will now be well-drilled in the team and also be in his best position instead of being an anaemic presence on the right wing so anyone saying he might not step up based on the previous season may just need a gentle reminder of that - he's not a busted flush in this division at all.

If Famewo shows up well in pre-season then I suppose he could be the emergency back-up. Maybe Bushiri could be getting on the charge? Me, I'd be thinking that if it is indeed true that Adarabioyo has a £10m release clause that we should take that and get him in ahead of Ajer, who's not as dominating or aggressive a player as his physique would imply and I think he's better suited to the Bundesliga or Serie A.

Obviously, the million-pound question is how well does the team cope without Buendia? That said, we've got a pre-season to drill the team into playing without him. I definitely think we're going to play more on the counter this season. With Rashica and Placheta, we've two who are quicker enough to make it stick, and Idah's combination of size, speed, and power could also make him awkward.

• Like 1

I'd be delighted with 17th.  We have made a couple of great signings in my opinion  but, at present rashica and Gilmour are replacing buendia and skipp so I see us as back up to last seasons standard. We definitely need to improve, another defender and midfielder at least although I think another striker/winger is a must.

Not sure if he's signed anywhere but I thought someone like ayew wld be good. Sign on a 1 Yr contract, large signing on fee to replace the much lower wages etc.

6 hours ago, crab man said:

A few more quality signings should give us a bit of hope but time will tell whether everything gels and we can remain injury free in crucial areas of the pitch this time. I think it's also concerning how knackered/unfit Pukki has looked recently.  We need to bring in another goal machine to relieve some of the pressure on him. 

Can't argue with any of this, we lost 3 CBs at the start of our last Premiership tilt and it did for us..... Take Hanley, Gibson and Zimbo out right now and I'm sure the result would be the same...... still work to do imo.

42 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Would agree the pragmatic view is that first priority is survival, but once that is done, top half is the next goal and after that, top six.

Agree. It might seem unlikely to some, but you have to have ambition otherwise what’s the point?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Agree. It might seem unlikely to some, but you have to have ambition otherwise what’s the point?

Exactly. I have respect for our players and firmly believe that if we have luck on the injury front this time around then this side is quite capable of having a very good season indeed. And if they do then I won’t be surprised at all.

Leeds managed it, hell, Sheff Utd nearly bloody qualified for Europe! There is absolutely NO reason why we can’t either!

I’d love a pint of what some of you lot drink.  The squad arguably weaker than last season. We have sold one of if not the best player we’ve ever had and the guy with the best creativity in the premiership we had last time. Gilmore is an unknown and whilst we signed a few players we are lacking goals at this level. I don’t see Hanley and Gibson as premiership quality defenders. Nor does any other club hence they are with us.  

Sorry but we are in a battle and I see nothing but relegation. You have to be realistic for god sake. 

9 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I’d love a pint of what some of you lot drink.  The squad arguably weaker than last season. We have sold one of if not the best player we’ve ever had and the guy with the best creativity in the premiership we had last time. Gilmore is an unknown and whilst we signed a few players we are lacking goals at this level. I don’t see Hanley and Gibson as premiership quality defenders. Nor does any other club hence they are with us.  

Sorry but we are in a battle and I see nothing but relegation. You have to be realistic for god sake. 

Hanley good enough for Scotland but not good enough for the premiership?

Crikey, look on the bright side, why don’t you?!

Transfer season has barely begun yet - it seems we’re likely to lose one more player (Max?) but also get several others in - it’s all about who and where.  Ultimately it is about having a better squad at the end of the window, not mid-way.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Would agree the pragmatic view is that first priority is survival, but once that is done, top half is the next goal and after that, top six.

This may take several years but if we continue our general upward trajectory in all aspects of the club, I see no reason why not. There will be hiccups, of that be sure, but our progress this last few seasons has exceeded even my optimistic  expectations  .

16 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I see little point, 10 pints of ‘Hope and Optimism’ ain’t gonna help you.

You have literally completely given up on your club next season. What’s the point of feeling like that, long before it’s even happened?

I said the other day we could sign Messi on a free this summer, and someone would still find only the negatives in that whilst ignoring the overwhelming positives. And that someone would be you 💯 

The OP does smell of "set the expectations unreasonably high so if the club falls a bit short I can start whinging". There have been a fair few recent cases of clubs getting a jump-start in the Premier League, Sheffield United and Leeds being the most obvious two, but most of the time it's a tough, hard battle.

My hope for next season, plain and simple, is 17th.

35 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

A totally realistic outlook with which most would agree. However there's no harm in hoping for better. If we stay up I will be ecstatic but if we go down it won't  come as a shock.

• Like 1

I'm happy with our business so far too. But look at it realistically, so far we've made 2 loans permanent and replaced two key players with players who may not be as good as those who have left and brought in a no.2 goalkeeper. You could argue that we haven't actually strengthened yet and are maybe weaker if Gilmour and Rashica don't turn out to be quite as good as Skipp and Buendia.

Long way to go as yet but we should keep our expectations in check, finishing 17th next year will be an incredible achievement would eclipse anything else we've achieved since 1993 given how strong the PL is now. Even finishing 18th would be well above expectation given our budget and the way we try to play football. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:
15 hours ago, lake district canary said:

This may take several years but if we continue our general upward trajectory in all aspects of the club, I see no reason why not. There will be hiccups, of that be sure, but our progress this last few seasons has exceeded even my optimistic  expectations  .

Yes, but I am talking in the same season. Survival - as in get to 40 points, once that is achieved see how many games are left and push on. The sooner that target is reached, the pressure reduces and the team can enjoy expressing themselves without pressure.

4 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'm happy with our business so far too. But look at it realistically, so far we've made 2 loans permanent and replaced two key players with players who may not be as good as those who have left and brought in a no.2 goalkeeper. You could argue that we haven't actually strengthened yet and are maybe weaker if Gilmour and Rashica don't turn out to be quite as good as Skipp and Buendia.

Long way to go as yet but we should keep our expectations in check, finishing 17th next year will be an incredible achievement would eclipse anything else we've achieved since 1993 given how strong the PL is now. Even finishing 18th would be well above expectation given our budget and the way we try to play football. 

True, but the two permanent loans represent a stronger back four than the one we went up into the Premier League last time, not to mention have been playing together for some time beforehand. We shouldn't get too many players in at once otherwise teamwork suffers, and let's face it, we were always up against it last time when we had three centre-halves out for large swathes of the season.

I think there's an argument that Buendia going could actually liberate Cantwell and Dowell a bit, especially if Rashica is a more direct player in the Hernandez mould. Liverpool still did pretty well when they got rid of Coutinho and Suarez, after all, as other players began to step up.

Personally I'm not absolutely convinced of both Ajer and Billing, but completely accept that those are the two positions that should be priority. If it pans out we get Skipp on loan too, I'd say that's as good as can be expected.

11 minutes ago, ricardo said:

A totally realistic outlook with which most would agree. However there's no harm in hoping for better. If we stay up I will be ecstatic but if we go down it won't  come as a shock.

Exactly this Ricky, out of likes but this is the by and large of it basically 👍

25 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. 😉

OK I’m buying this hoping for the best! Messi still a free agent, I hope he’s earned enough money and has had enough winning trophies that he’s up for a real challenge and will choose to play here! That might be the start to convince me a top 6 finish could be o the cards! COYY!

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

OK I’m buying this hoping for the best! Messi still a free agent, I hope he’s earned enough money and has had enough winning trophies that he’s up for a real challenge and will choose to play here! That might be the start to convince me a top 6 finish could be o the cards! COYY!

Some Posters on here would Argue Messi has never played in this Country before so would  flop like Ricky Van wolfswinkel

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Some Posters on here would Argue Messi has never played in this Country before so would  flop like Ricky Van wolfswinkel

I’m not sure he’d qualify for a Norfolk work permit 😂💚💛

• Haha 1

Just now, Indy said:

I’m not sure he’d qualify for a Norfolk work permit 😂💚💛

i can hear it now we need a Target man  someone good in the Air Not Messi !