Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Kathy Blake's Fans' Forum piece

In today''s EDP. I''ve been requested to post this excellent article online for the exiles to read:

KATHY BLAKE

Plusses from the match
The only plus I can think of is that there is only one more Sky TV date planned for us to show the nation the depths which we have plummeted to. Before Sunday the rest of the football world probably thought we couldn’t possibly be all that bad. Now they know.

Minus points
I can’t remember having so much to choose from. God knows City fans have had to put up with some dire performances this season but to lose to Ipswich with such a spineless performance is too much to bear. We were absolutely clueless. Player for player Norwich had a much stronger team than Ipswich but were outplayed by a bunch of youngsters. This has got to be down to morale, motivation and tactics. And who is responsible for that?
I can’t remember seeing such an inept display from City and they had to save it for the derby. And whatever happened to the famous December sports psychologist? Personally I don’t believe you should need one. That is what the manager is paid for. But if he is still around – fire him.
When is someone at Carrow Road going to wake up and realise what is happening at the football club? It’s getting like the Emperor’s New Clothes.
The one thing Andy Hughes seems to have brought to the club is the ability to talk a good game. This has filtered through to all levels. Other players are giving midweek predictions that they are going to do this that and the other, to this team and to that team next match and none of it materialises.
We’ve got members of the board saying the play-offs are a reality. What planet are they all on? This is a pipe dream and the last thing we need right now is hollow words.
There is a cancer at the club and it should be treated sooner rather than later. While those in charge are in denial the illness will become terminal. I keep hearing phrases like ‘infinite patience’ and ‘the bigger picture’ but I’m afraid it has got to the stage where these two things are mutually exclusive.

Man of the match
Adam Drury was his usual competent self. Battled vainly to restore some semblance of a football match to no avail.

Team for Hull
I’m afraid I don’t think it really matters any more. The problem is more fundamental than team selection. Having spent the money you may as well play the new players.

How do you rate the new players?
Robert Earnshaw – I am sure Robert is a very good player but, quite honestly, I wouldn’t back Ruud van Nistelrooy or Thierry Henry to score goals with the system and tactics City are using at the moment.
I believe that that is the reason Dean Ashton wanted to leave. He felt stifled and couldn’t see how staying here was going to benefit his career in the long run and I for one agree with him.  I wonder what he was thinking if he was watching.
I think signing Earnshaw was the last throw of the dice for Nigel Worthington. It was, however, an expensive throw and doesn’t leave much in the coffers for any possible successor.
Jonatan Johansson – I’m not convinced he really wants to be here. We have tried on and off to get him for several years and he never gave the impression before that he was bursting to join Norwich. He looks a good professional and took his goal well, but I suspect he will be another ‘love you and leave you’ loanee.
Zesh Rehman – I thought he looked accomplished, strong and effective on the ball. Probably because he hasn’t been here long enough. That will surely soon be coached out of him.

Will City reach the play-offs?
Personally I gave up on this long ago, but any flickering embers finally disappeared down the A12 with Dean Ashton. He obviously didn’t believe the rhetoric.

Kathy has certainly been blatantly honest! I totally agree with her observations, and the whole entirety of her most excellent post!

Maybe a few copies should be circulated amongst our ''Board'' and ''Coaching Staff''..........In braille and oversize print! Just so they can''t use any excuse for ignoring, or the inability to read it!

"My apologies to the myopic and visually impaired"......;~) 

Squit.

I wonder if you would be brave enough to post an honest assessment of how you think the season is going, how you are finding Nigel Worthington''s tactics, coaching, purchases and man-management, and how you feel about the performances against Ipswich, Reading, QPR, Preston, Derby, Luton etc etc?

I am interested to see how someone who clearly doesn''t suffer from those awful bouts of "emotion" judges things to be at Fortress Carrow these days.

[quote user="A load of squit"]

Why do you think this is ''excellent'', I think its just another rant by someone who''s let thier emotions get the better of them.

[/quote]

That''s rubbish squit.  Kathy''s comments are 100% spot on.  Which part of that in your view was inaccurate?

Why do you think this is ''excellent'', I think its just another rant by someone who''s let thier emotions get the better of them.

[/quote]

True Squit, the same sort of rant Ashton would probably give about his time here.... and notice it is yet another rant - have you not noticed how many new posters have appeared recently - the numbers are swelling squat, slowly but surely..... on the poll 177 votes 88% worthy out thats what 155 say - probably all 154 who were in the protest plus me however.

Slowly but surely mate.... slowly but surely

[quote user="Mook"]

Squit.

I wonder if you would be brave enough to post an honest assessment of how you think the season is going, how you are finding Nigel Worthington''s tactics, coaching, purchases and man-management, and how you feel about the performances against Ipswich, Reading, QPR, Preston, Derby, Luton etc etc?

I am interested to see how someone who clearly doesn''t suffer from those awful bouts of "emotion" judges things to be at Fortress Carrow these days.

[/quote]

Watford, Stoke, Cardiff, Sheff Wed, coventry etc etc etc

Well Done Kathy, your comments sum up the situation very accurately.

i really enjoyed reading that Kathy.

A really good read, and as you said it simply sums everything up, although i would have thought Zesh Rehman was actually our MOTM rather than Drury, who although he did well could not rival how Zesh played.

I am still waiting for Squit or any of the other supposed 24,850 Worthy supporters who the board think exist to post one thing that has been positive about the last 12 months. Or what sticking with this manager until at least the end of the season is going to achieve.  The loanees will go, the youth wont get a look in and the money wasted.

Lets hear an argued case for keeping him. Coz I cant think of one.

i saw kathy''s post in the edp today and was encouraged to see an honest apprasial in print, rather than a diplomatic ''sit on the fence'' piece - will she be dropped for next season by the powers that be?nice one blakey.

Old Squit, Kathy''s piece is NOT a rant, but a reasoned description of the current situation at Carrow Rd. Can you write a similar reasoned piece of work that gives your view of the situation that will offer more than just ''keep the faith'', ''Nigel got us promoted'', or ''the board deserve our support - they know what they are doing''?

Your ''arguments'' wear thinner with every passing day -- the standard of the football is dire and there is clearly something amiss. Or can you not see this?

[/quote]

I was waiting for your usual piece of tomfoolery, Squit. You never let us down do you? You''ll probably still be spouting the same tired old rubbish when Worthless is finally dragged kicking and screaming through the fortress exit.

I''ll ask again, Squit.

I am honestly interested in your answer, and your possible solutions. You are very good at pointing out other''s views as knee-jerk, but what do you actually think of the situation?

I also read Kathy Blakes piece in the EDP today and I also thought it was absolutely spot on - as indeed were the other comments on the same page.  I am afraid it is no good the KTF'' ers continually accusing others of being emotional - what I want to see from the Board or Worthy is either a change in management or an action plan as to how things are going to be improved.   It is no use for anybody to say we are going to keep on as we are since that way lies relegation. How the people at Carrow Road can just accept the way in which they have been dissected by Kathy Blake without doing anything I don''t understand.   And for all the KTF''ers (including the bloke who writes a load of squit) - I trust you are not going to dismiss Roy Blowers out of hand also - since his track record compares with any including DElia.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]Because Kathy''s opinions are spot on.[/quote]

No Pete they just happen to be the same as your opinion.

[/quote]

I can see the headlines in the EDP tomorrow: "Two Norwich fans in thinking alike shocker!" Kathy is absolutely right Drikell and a great many people think so

for christs sake why the hell do u support Worthy anymore Squit????

Just take a look at the league table, a t the money he''s P!ssed away, at the current players we have, at the same rubbish he comes out with after every game, at the poor play, at the recent run of defeats, at losing to Milwall, Coventry, Sheffield Wednesday, The naivety of the board.....

Worthington WILL take us down to League 1.. we WILL be little Norwich then.... and i bet u will still think he is wonderful wont you?

jas :)

Well Squit, I expected you to disagree, but not to only do so on emotional grounds, for god''s sake, of course it''s emotional, we are all emotional, what''s the point of following a football team if you can''t feel happy when they do well, and of course, as of now, frustrated, sad, angry etc....

Thanks Kathy, it was Meeky who asked Pete to put this on the board as we both read your piece this afternoon and thought it was excellent.  Well done to you for having the courage and eloquence to portray your thoughts on the club''s current plight and speak for so many of us.

A true supporter of our club.  I agree with everything you say and hope that the likes of Munby and co get their head out of the nice fluffy clouds they seem to inhabit and join the real world.

OTBC

LOS - as the upholder of fact over fiction it is hard to see where Kathys article is inaccurate - perhaps my rose tinted glasses cant see the inaccuracies - erhaps your yellow painted ones can enlighten me?

The one piece of passion/emotion (cancer)  is a metaphor for how many fans feel - it is clearly an expression of pain at the current ''unrosy'' malaise the club faces.   Journalistically it looks pretty and have seen more excessive hyperbole from you and the likes of Rick Wahorn praising the manager than this overstates the situation of the club.

Excellent article is a matter of personal opinion - you dont think so but its a very accurate summary of where this club is currently at and a view shared by very many city fans.

[/quote]

No squity/Dicky. You are wrong its an excellent article, spot on.

Kathy has always been reasoned and in my opinion spot on with her veiws, Sometimes she has praised the team and Worthy but quite rightly this time she has pointed out the shortcomings of both the team and the Manager responsible for picking the best 11 on our books. (Thats scary!!). In the past I have advised against change but even i have had enough of the same old platitudes after each match. Kathy, if you read this I say thank you for putting into print what a lot of us are thinking, and before people start saying I and others are in a minority PLEASE GET REAL!! 

the one bit i would disagree with was jonaton johannson - he hasnt given the impression of bursting to join us because of wages etc - say what u like but if someone asked you to take what is probably a 50% wage cut to join a company u wanted to join, would you join them? i thought he was one of the few who looked like he cared on sunday and thought he had a blinder and was along with Zesh our best players. the ones who looked like they cared were imo - Greeno, Zesh, Johannson, Safs, Robbo (played poorly but he did try!), Drury, Flem looked like he cared but was way out of his depth. huckerby looked like an arrogant prima donna who was only there for his pay cheque and regarded even showing up as a bit of an inconvenience....does reinforce the worthless is a one trick pony idea tho - brought hucks on from bench at scummer lane, and he was awesome and scored, so tried it at home. Earnie looked a skilful player on the ball, a little selfish tho, and didnt look as quick as id expected, and we gave him no service, hopefully will sort out in time tho.

I read this post yesterday and replied asking Squity to come up with a reasoned piece detailing HIS/HER views on the state of play at Carrow Road. Mook has asked twice and others have also suggested it would be interesting to get Squit''s views.

Logging on today I notice there is STILL no reply from the Old Squit. Until you put something as reasoned and well discussed as Kathy''s piece on this website then your views are worthless, pretty much like the management/coaching regime you support so readily.

I, like Mook, would be genuinely interested to know just what your views are on style/quality of play, future prospects, transfers/tactics/selection etc. I think your problem will be that when you clinically assess the situation that began in June 2005 you will come to the same conclusion as the rest of us.

Well I''ve just come in to work this morning and found all this! I have to say I am both flattered and bemused by the amount of attention my article has attracted. Thank you  for the very kind things some of you have said about it. I''m not sure they are very deserved. My English teacher at school always said I was cr*p at writing!

I dont deliberately set out to be provocative, I just always try to write from the heart and find it usually serves me quite well. Yes I am emotional when it comes to my football club and if that comes through when I am writing so be it Squit. The two go hand in hand in my opinion and always will do. I doubt this message board would even exist if people didnt care really deeply about Norwich City.

I really dont think the EDP are likely to dump me because of what I wrote as some people on here have suggested. In fact I suspect they positively rub their hands with glee when someone is a bit controversial. And even if they did I am sure there are lots of potential replacements among  the Pinkin message board posters. I have always maintained that the quality of writing of some of you on this site is superb and I think you could do an equally good, or more likely better job than me.

Thanks again. 

well iu thought it was a good Article Kathy....

i feel sorry for u having to write one after the poo that will be hull on saturday.... it must be hard not to swear!