Sign in to follow this  
If wed kept Howie..

How much is Skipp worth?

I think £20 million. Aarons is being touted as a £30 million player and he has 12 months EPL experience as well as two seasons as a key component in a Championship title winning team. And has been linked with some monster clubs.

Skipp has just one season as a key component in a Championship title winning team and a small handful of appearances for Spurs. And as far as I am aware, Barca, Roma and Bayern have never sniffed around him.

I think £25 million is an absolute max.

• Like 1

To us I believe he was priceless. The difference IMO between the goals conceded in comparison to a couple of years ago. His positional sense and reading of the game was unsurpassed in the champs. Looks like Gilmour will get over the line but if it didn't I'd be trying to secure him for at least another season

I imagine he'll be given a chance under Nuno. His sale value is probably between 15-20m currently. The chances of him returning look slim, but theirs always a chance.

37 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

English, hyped and still young with the potential to become a regular starter in a top six prem club.

40million minimum 

We would sell for any offer around £30m. 

Depends if they manage to flog Kane.

If they do then £40m.

If they don't then £20m. haha

I don't think we can afford him on a permanent either way i'm afraid. 

And if we were to ever drop that sort of fee it will be for a Pukki successor.

Lets hope they feel they can lease him to us for a few million. 

Do wonder though actually whether if Kane does get sold they'll need to bring Skipp in as their new "one of their own" to excite fans.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

50 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

To us I believe he was priceless. The difference IMO between the goals conceded in comparison to a couple of years ago. His positional sense and reading of the game was unsurpassed in the champs. Looks like Gilmour will get over the line but if it didn't I'd be trying to secure him for at least another season

I think having a competent defensive midfielder is really important to us, but that Skipp isn't the only one out there, and that perhaps £8m-£12m would find us a quality player in France or elsewhere? (France seems to be the spiritual home of superb dm's!). 

What cannot be argued though is that we need to invest in that position somehow, we need a good anchorman, the new Tettey or similar. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Depends if they manage to flog Kane.

If they do then £40m.

If they don't then £20m. haha

I don't think we can afford him on a permanent either way i'm afraid. 

And if we were to ever drop that sort of fee it will be for a Pukki successor.

Lets hope they feel they can lease him to us for a few million. 

Do wonder though actually whether if Kane does get sold they'll need to bring Skipp in as their new "one of their own" to excite fans.

I agree with some of these sentiments.

I think a realistic value for Skipp is somewhere between £15-20m, though he has done very little, in reality, to earn that price tag. He's played one season. If you compare him to Aarons who has two championship title winning medals to his name and a season in the Premier League and people are saying he is worth £30-40m then Skipp isn't in the same league yet.

As good as he was for us last season, it was in our system and with the pros around him like McLean, Hanley and Gibson, to help guide him. Is he able to be thrown into a premier league midfield without those sort of senior players around him and play based purely on his own ability right now? Jury is out. Have a successful season, then he could be.

£15-20m is realistic. If Spurs don't want to sell him they'll price him out of a move.

However, like TVB, I can't see it happening unless it is as part of a deal for Aarons - which is what I suspect is in the works. Even then it may only be a loan.

I'm also not convinced that Skipp will excite in the same way, or even close to the same way as Kane. It may give their fans more hope in the future of their own youngsters coming in.

I think around £15-20m is realistic, given he has only had one full season of first team football that's still quite a generous value.

It's more about whether Spurs will want to sell him, which I imagine the answer is probably no. Loan, however, might be an option again

A lot of comments justifying prices compared to Aaron’s and the amount of games played. If respective clubs were reversed how many games would a 21 year old Aaron’s have played if coming through Spurs academy and would Skipp only have one season under his belt if he was one of ours?

personally see the values of the two players much similar as the ability in respective positions similar. They both have a very bright future ahead and I would only put £5m ish between them, whether that’s 20 & 25 or 25 & 30  I’m not sure but either way another 1 yr loan is the best I think we can hope for

• Like 2

Personally I think we've overvalued Max a tad but hey he's our player and we'll do what we like.

A Skipp/Max swap I would suggest would be any Spurs startpoint, but I honestly don't think they want or need to sell.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Personally I think we've overvalued Max a tad but hey he's our player and we'll do what we like.

A Skipp/Max swap I would suggest would be any Spurs startpoint, but I honestly don't think they want or need to 

If Spurs want to hit the ground running next season they will need a good attacking right back which is exactly what Arrons is. They can get him for peanuts if they add Skipp in with the deal, which would give them more money to play with to buy other players in.  

All depends on how much they want to keep Skipp, I guess, but they will be under pressure to do well next season and there are others ahead of Skipp for DM at Spurs, so they may consider a swap deal as very good value. 

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If Spurs want to hit the ground running next season they will need a good attacking right back which is exactly what Arrons is. They can get him for peanuts if they add Skipp in with the deal, which would give them more money to play with to buy other players in.  

All depends on how much they want to keep Skipp, I guess, but they will be under pressure to do well next season and there are others ahead of Skipp for DM at Spurs, so they may consider a swap deal as very good value. 

They might not need one. Now that NES has gone to Spurs, he is reunited with Matt Doherty who he had at Wolves so might opt to go with what he knows

3 hours ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

I'm with Parma; a player exchange would enable both clubs to gain something they value & benefit from...

Yeah I think this is the key thing. There's probably not too many examples of swaps at this level, but you feel this one works. In fact I can't see either player moving any other way.

18 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yeah I think this is the key thing. There's probably not too many examples of swaps at this level, but you feel this one works. In fact I can't see either player moving any other way.

Doubt Skipp would want to leave Spurs permanently yet and if he did I’m sure there would be other teams in for him. 

If Spurs come up with the £30m(ish) for Aarons then he’ll go there. Doesn’t seem that unlikely a scenario if he is the player they identify to fill their needs. 

8 hours ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

I wondered what would be his current price/value?

I would guess, given his age and potential, around 25m +/- 5m 

What colour is the sky in the world you live in? There's not exactly a big queue waiting to sign him is there? He's just a very good Championship player and that's about it 

• Like 1

listening to a Tottenham fan on talksport they are having problems selling season tickets

the once massive waiting list is no long a list some people used to be 33k  on the list now they are being offered season tickets

and seats pretty much available everywhere in the stadium

7 hours ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

A lot of comments justifying prices compared to Aaron’s and the amount of games played. If respective clubs were reversed how many games would a 21 year old Aaron’s have played if coming through Spurs academy and would Skipp only have one season under his belt if he was one of ours?

personally see the values of the two players much similar as the ability in respective positions similar. They both have a very bright future ahead and I would only put £5m ish between them, whether that’s 20 & 25 or 25 & 30  I’m not sure but either way another 1 yr loan is the best I think we can hope for

That's just illogical, sorry.

If Aarons had played the same number of games as Skipp and was struggling for game time he wouldn't be worth £30-35m.

Skipp is not worth as much as Aarons as he hasn't played in the premier league. He is unproven in the premier league. He has played one season for a team that was one of the favourites to go up, surrounded by players who have done it before. Teams will need to be persuaded, at premier league level, that he is worth more than £15m on that basis.

It really is that simple. As someone else said, at the moment he is a very good championship player. He's not yet a £30m player.

4 hours ago, Thingy said:

£6 to £8m with a 20% sell-on would seem about right.

Steady on, you might be overvaluing Skippy a little there. What did he actually do last season - win a penalty and score 1 or two goals himself? 

Probably the worst return we’ve had from a DM for several seasons. Even Terry at 30+, is better. 

• Like 2

Hi all, 

Long time no see.

I've been lurking...

I hate to say it, but think many of you way off... Surprised no one has used or quoted the website Transfermarkt (not a typo).

Now, I do think they sometimes under-value, but they have Max as the highest value premier League based English player (as Sancho hasn't gone through yet!) Who is 21 or under, at £22 mil. Ollie is at £10 mil.

Now if we did see SW stick to his guns, and hold out for £30 mil for Max, that is a 35% (ish, mental arithmetic!) Inflation of that value. If you did the same with Ollie, he'd be £13.5 mil. On that basis, if the Ollie plus cash for Max deal happens (which I am dearly hoping for!), £17.5 mil, plus Ollie for Max, with maybe a buy back clause of £25mil for Spurs might be good for all concerned. I don't think that's too unrealistic?

I would certainly trust SW to get a decent replacement for Max with that £17.5 mil, maybe even a striker out of that too. Billing and Ajer for a combined £25-30 mil, and I think all that business would be stonking. Ajer could cover CB and DM, Billing DM and AM, and the squad would have some great flexibility. Ollie in, new RB and a striker... Plus the 5 already in. This to me would be the ideal rest of the window scenario, and a squad with more than a fighting chance. Think we'd soon be forgetting Max and Emi. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

What Skipp is worth and what Tottenham will want to sell him are probably two numbers that are quite far apart at the moment. 

Levy made a lot of promises about the ‘Tottenham DNA’ after Jose was sacked and a key part of that was promoting players for their academy. Levy is already under pressure from fans due to the Super League and the non-optimal head coach search, he isn’t about to compound this by letting fans’ favourite Skipp leave the club - especially not on a permanent transfer. 

Nuno has a decent track record at Wolves of giving young players a chance and I think he’ll be under pretty strict instructions that he needs to do that this season. 

This is all before the fact that I doubt life long Spurs fan Skipp would be prepared to give up on Tottenham and leave the club on a permanent deal just yet. 

Factor in that Spurs are in discussions with Bologna for a defender who plays at right back then I think the whole Aarons to Tottenham thing may be fading away. The arrival of Gilmour also reduces Norwich’s immediate need for Skipp as well so would they want to reduce the amount of cash they could receive for Aarons him by including him in a swap? 

I think Skipp will stay at Tottenham this summer, but might be sent on loan in January if he isn’t getting enough minutes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youngriles said:

Hi all, 

Long time no see.

I've been lurking...

I hate to say it, but think many of you way off... Surprised no one has used or quoted the website Transfermarkt (not a typo).

Now, I do think they sometimes under-value, but they have Max as the highest value premier League based English player (as Sancho hasn't gone through yet!) Who is 21 or under, at £22 mil. Ollie is at £10 mil.

Now if we did see SW stick to his guns, and hold out for £30 mil for Max, that is a 35% (ish, mental arithmetic!) Inflation of that value. If you did the same with Ollie, he'd be £13.5 mil. On that basis, if the Ollie plus cash for Max deal happens (which I am dearly hoping for!), £17.5 mil, plus Ollie for Max, with maybe a buy back clause of £25mil for Spurs might be good for all concerned. I don't think that's too unrealistic?

I would certainly trust SW to get a decent replacement for Max with that £17.5 mil, maybe even a striker out of that too. Billing and Ajer for a combined £25-30 mil, and I think all that business would be stonking. Ajer could cover CB and DM, Billing DM and AM, and the squad would have some great flexibility. Ollie in, new RB and a striker... Plus the 5 already in. This to me would be the ideal rest of the window scenario, and a squad with more than a fighting chance. Think we'd soon be forgetting Max and Emi. Any thoughts?

The problem with transfermatkt is that it's largely using a statistics based model to predict the fee, the sample set to quantify skipps value is fairly small, his value has barely changed over the last two years. It doesn't take into account the perspective of either the buying or selling club. For example, Emi was rated at €22m until he was sold, so by that reckoning the Webber tax is over 50%...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chicken said:

That's just illogical, sorry.

If Aarons had played the same number of games as Skipp and was struggling for game time he wouldn't be worth £30-35m.

Skipp is not worth as much as Aarons as he hasn't played in the premier league. He is unproven in the premier league. He has played one season for a team that was one of the favourites to go up, surrounded by players who have done it before. Teams will need to be persuaded, at premier league level, that he is worth more than £15m on that basis.

It really is that simple. As someone else said, at the moment he is a very good championship player. He's not yet a £30m player.

Valueing young players heavily based on appearances when the parent clubs are playing at different levels is leading to quite different values when from what I’ve seen the two players  have similar pedigrees, I’m not sure is completely illogical. Using your basis we should be able to go shopping in the development squads of Liverpool, Man City/Utd etc armed with a roll of twenties and some candy. Foden shouldn’t be out of range, how many appearances has he made now? Let’s also remember the one premiership season which Max played in wasn’t exactly stellar (although he did hold his own). Skipp is perhaps the brightest prospect coming through at a heavyweight club and personally I would take a straight swap even given our needs currently, a fair deal would see a few million coming our way in my opinion 

21 hours ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Valueing young players heavily based on appearances when the parent clubs are playing at different levels is leading to quite different values when from what I’ve seen the two players  have similar pedigrees, I’m not sure is completely illogical. Using your basis we should be able to go shopping in the development squads of Liverpool, Man City/Utd etc armed with a roll of twenties and some candy. Foden shouldn’t be out of range, how many appearances has he made now? Let’s also remember the one premiership season which Max played in wasn’t exactly stellar (although he did hold his own). Skipp is perhaps the brightest prospect coming through at a heavyweight club and personally I would take a straight swap even given our needs currently, a fair deal would see a few million coming our way in my opinion 

You're applying your own set of misunderstood calculations to make quite a few other people's views look skewed.

What you are utterly not grasping is that Skipp is untried and unproven in the premier league. Does that make a difference to value? Of course it does. Does number of appearances make a difference to player value? Not necessarily but generally, yes it does. In fact you just evidenced that yourself - you have literally just argued that Max Aarons wasn't that great in his one season in the Premier League as to devalue him. That in itself is an argument against what you have said. You said he held is own - we only know that because he played in the Premier League. Skipp hasn't, he is an unknown quantity. 

Why? Well, we know that many teams use 'data' to base signings on. The more data they have to look at the more they can see consistency over a period of time.

You also said if Aarons was at Spurs with the same number of games as Skipp would he be worth less? I would ask you if Skipp was at Norwich and just played his first whole season aged 19-20 which makes up the vast majority of his career appearances so far, how much do you think he'd be worth?

I can give you a fairly reliable answer. The most expensive defender sold in the Championship to the Premier League was Adam Webster who went from Bristol City to Brighton for £20m. Then, after him, it was our very own Ben Gibson who went from Middlesbrough to Burnley for £15m. Source: https://www.90min.com/posts/the-most-expensive-championship-players-of-all-time-ranked

Another list has Ruben Neves at £15.5m - https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/the-10-most-expensive-championship-players-ever-neves-carvalho-ritchie/

We can keep going. Realistically, for Skipp to be worth the same amount of money as we are asking for Aarons, he'd need to add more goals and assists to his game. Another example is Harrison Reed - though it could be argued that he is not as good as Skipp, he cost Fulham a rumoured £6m. Another comparison is Jordan Ibe, who was a promising young attacking player (winger) who Bournemouth paid £15m for - most of his appearances prior to that being at Championship level.

So in summery - yes, when considering value it is absolutely important to consider appearances and what level those appearances have been at. That is exactly where value comes from. Premier League sides are likely to pay more for players that either are so good they have stood out to be a cut above the rest like Maddison, or who have proven they are worth the gamble having consistently delivered at championship level for more than a season like Watkins.

Skipp, whilst having wowed us, is not the type of player who will have turned heads in the same way as Maddison. He played 44games in all competitions last season, his first full season - sometimes called a 'breakthrough' season. If he costs any club £20m+, quite frankly they are overpaying for him. Anyone suggesting he and Aaron's are even close in value at this moment needs a reality check.

Aarons: Age 21 (Jan),  3 seasons (2x championship, 1x premier league), 122 appearances, 4 goals, 2 championship winners medals, some sources have him as the full back with the most amount of chances created in the championship last season.
Skipp: Age 20 (Sep), 1 full season (Championship), 44 appearances, 1 goal, 1 championship winner medal.

There is no legitimate argument that puts them in the same bull park area for value, none. 

7 hours ago, chicken said:

There is no legitimate argument that puts them in the same bull park area for value, none. 

I genuinely appreciate the well considered response and while I’m not sure all my points have been taken in the context they were meant I get where you are coming from. I understand Skipp is untried at PL level and as such this effects his value however is £20m for a 20 yr old who was an outstanding ever present in a team which steamrolled the Championship really outrageous? 
data driven recruitment goes well beyond appearances. There isn’t a team in PL or likely in Europe who doesn’t know exactly how Skipp performed last season and his influence compared to the rest of the team, for me that approaches your own criteria of your Maddison season, not quite but getting there and a few years have past since then. Then throw in the whole reluctance/willingness  of parent club to sell etc

As for no legitimate argument to value Skipp near to Aarons I would ask you one question, who would you prefer to be lining up in green and yellow as a permanent city player against Liverpool next season Skipp or Aaron’s?

Edited by Son Ova Gunn