Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Old stadium photographs

I took this one of Filbert Street on Tuesday. In fairness it’s doesn’t look too inferior to when 4 stands stood. 

What old stadiums does anyone else miss? 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

image.jpeg.ed6ac073d93e8b1926854ab1a2c19df4.jpegManor Ground Oxford……spent many an afternoon watching Oxford as a kid, it was great to visit family and watch my home club.

I suppose I’m lucky to have been born in such a lovely city, raised in Prague for early part of my life and finally settling in this area from 1976 so adopted Norwich as my team.

I used to go to Brighton games a fair bit in the late 80s/early 90s, just before the ground was sold and turned into a Focus DIY store - was rather odd passing by a year or so later.

3 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I liked some proper old school grounds, like The Dell, Roker Park, Boleyn, Layer Road to name a few

I would guess that many on here will not know what you are referring to when mentioning Boleyn. The pub on the corner with the same name was dangerous even on a non match night, only went in twice before deciding abstinence was a better option.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.06f20e17dcc67f62fb470ab8217db866.pngAll went wrong after demolishing this, I really hope Norwich never leave Carrow road. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1

On 01/07/2021 at 21:21, Midlands Yellow said:

I took this one of Filbert Street on Tuesday. In fairness it’s doesn’t look too inferior to when 4 stands stood. 

What old stadiums does anyone else miss? 

F5C0BAA4-5B6E-4683-9CAA-099E25E98E0D.jpeg

This was a hell hole . I saw us lose in the cup there - I think Heskey played for them - and couldn’t see half of the pitch. I remember it being made entirely of wood ! 

8 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

This was a hell hole . I saw us lose in the cup there - I think Heskey played for them - and couldn’t see half of the pitch. I remember it being made entirely of wood ! 

1997 lost 2.1 in the FA cup, other than Luton and maybe Southampton’s ground Filbert Street was up there in the dump stakes. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

And this is the site of the Goldstone Ground now. Went there in 1983, we lost 1-0 in the FA Cup Quarter Final, I swear to this day there was a Jimmy Case handball prior to him scoring.......

Brighton.jpg

I remember that really well. An army of yellow and green travelled down that day.

3 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

And this is the site of the Goldstone Ground now. Went there in 1983, we lost 1-0 in the FA Cup Quarter Final, I swear to this day there was a Jimmy Case handball prior to him scoring.......

Brighton.jpg

Definite handball. I remember clearly the feeling of injustice after that game. Hated Jimmy Case after that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kathy said:

Definite handball. I remember clearly the feeling of injustice after that game. Hated Jimmy Case after that.

Can you all remember the “Mecano” (temporary) Stand they built for the occasion, very rickety and wouldn’t be allowed by health and safety today.

I have fonder memories of the Goldstone. 1st ever away game in 79, won 4-2,  thinking this was how all Norwich games would be........., but was away training in the Black Mountains (with Brighton fan ironically!)  for the Cup game.

Same with Filbert Street, saw us blow them away 4-1 (bless you Norman Leet) in a promotion season, when Leicester were one of our rivals for the top.

59 minutes ago, pearsos said:

Can you all remember the “Mecano” (temporary) Stand they built for the occasion, very rickety and wouldn’t be allowed by health and safety today.

I do not remember the stand, what I do remember is that the gents bogs at the back of the stand were such that you could enter from the Norwich standing area, walk through them and the exit the other end of the bogs took you into the Brighton standing area.......