The Great Mass Debater

Players with questionable futures

We have a few of them. There seems to be some major surgery going ahead with the squad.

Leitner wasnt a shock, the only shock being that this didnt happen sooner, maybe the club really did need some Buendia money to get things moving. Stiepermann surprised me. Makes sense, been a while now since that great season he had, unlikely to feature, but surprised he wasnt kept around for a final season or loaned out. To terminate to me suggests a real need to get him off the books which, suggests to me at least, some major surgery going on. Taking up a non-homegrown space we clearly feel cant be taken up. So what of the rest of the squad players? Where do we feel their futures lie? Soto to Porto surprised me so I think we're in for more like this:

McGovern - Pegged for 3rd choice allowing youngsters to go on loan seemngly

Oxborough - ?Loan

Barden ?Loan

Omobamidele - Think he'll be around the first team. A loan might be good but seems like they think he's ready

Byram - Great player but question is fitness. Useful cover for both full-backs, but can he stay fit enough to replace Aarons if he goes?

Mumba - Think he'll be around the squad, but personally Id loan him, think he's barely played at Championship level let alone Prem

Famewo - Wouldnt be surprised if he left

Bushiri - Thought he'd already gone to be honest, seems to have fallen down the pecking order

Klose - Love Timm but I dont think he's the standard we need now. Hopefully a suitor can be found on a free perhaps rather than paid up.

McCallum - Id keep him around the first team. Solid championship season last season, let him be back-up

Placheta - Think he probably needs a loan. Unless he's adapted to the English game now he probably needs some game time, cant see him playing

Sorensen - Not sure how he is viewed. Good squad player but not sure how the club see him at Premier League level

Martin - He'd benefit from a loan, cant see him featuring much

Hernandez - I want the old Onel back. I fear his days are numbered, but Id love to see him tearing up the Prem. I think he has it in him

Sinani - Really not sure about this one. Wouldnt be surprised to see him leave

Sitti - Not sure here either

Trybull - Not at the level we need. I can see him being Leitnered

Thompson - I think he needs Leitnering too to be honest, feel sorry for him but not really sure why he's still here, cant ever see him playing

Hugill - By all accounts brings a lot to the dressing room. Not too convinced by what he brings on the pitch. Championship striker in my opinion. Id sell personally or loan if no interest - think we need and can bring in better.

Idah - Needs to arrive. Seems to be considered as a Prem first team option and hope he steps up

Drmic - Not sure how long he has left. His wages are quite high I think so this may prevent a Leitnering. Perhaps Rijeka will take him on a free. Might be content to see out his contract and take the wages. Doubt anyone will pay what we're paying him. If he cant be free'd or loaned then need to take the financial hit I think. No point having players the coach refuses to play even in a shortage.

Soto - Seemingly off to Porto which I find very strange.

Would not mind seeing McGovern make a move into training and teaching to be honest, much as he is a decent keeper from time to time he's not getting younger. Has a lot of experence and can help out behind the scenes a whole lot me thinks

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Would not mind seeing McGovern make a move into training and teaching to be honest, much as he is a decent keeper from time to time he's not getting younger. Has a lot of experence and can help out behind the scenes a whole lot me thinks

I suspect he already has, 3rd choice prem keeper is essentially an honourary role anyway...

8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm sure I recently read something along those lines, in that he was looking to move into a coaching role, and that his professionalism and attitude were great assets to have at the club as well as being a reliable backup if called upon.

We finished the season knowing there were a few question marks over the squad, so it'll be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of months.

I agree with a lot of the issues that the OP has raised. Just to add a couple of points:

- I hope the younger members of the squad (Idah, Mumba, Omobamidele) stay and are given the opportunity in the PL. With Godfrey, Lewis and Buendia gone - and Cantwell and Arrons potentially off soon too - we need to be bringing the next crop through. 

- I hope Hernandez stays injury free and reminds people of what he can do. I don't expect him to be a regular starter but he is an awkward player and gives us a different option off the bench.

- Hugill is a great character but I now see him as fourth choice behind Rashica. Don't get me wrong, he can add value if we want more of a presence up front for the last 10 mins but he isn't suited to our style of play at all.

I feel you might be a bit premature with Martin, Placheta and Sorensen.

I feel at least one of those three could surprise in the PL, probably Martin, may be Sorensen (done little wrong) or even Placheta (raw and needed settlement.)

It seems to be that gap between PL and Championship level that is the matter. All three are young and could leap it, imo.

It seems to me that your posting confirms that we have a squad capable of succeeding in the Championship, anytime and everytime. We are now Premier League but cannot suddenly replace them with proven PL players at cost and wages.

We have to bite the bullet with any number of our promising youngsters, whilst re-inforcing the squad with quality where needed and when affordable. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

Agree with a lot of this.... For Sorensen, read Mumba, 'think he'll be around the squad, think he's barely played at Championship level in his position, let alone Prem.

Famewo deserves a proper chance, made a massive difference to St Mirren and then Charlton last season just like McCallum.    Could step up and surprise just like Omobamidele. 

Can't see Platcheta finding a path to EPL level as his quality wasn't even Championship standard.... could change with games though so a loan makes sense although, his value may be at its highest right now!

Could Hernandez find the EPL form that made him our most influential player in the restart debacle?    Hope so.  

As of now, it seems we have the following regular starters: -

Krul, Gunn, Aarons, Gibson, Hanley, Giannoulis, Dowell, Cantwell, Rashica and Pukki.  That’s only 10 outfield players (if we include Gilmour) at present that we could confidentally expect to compete regularly in the Premier League and give us a good chance of survival.   McLean and Rupp IMO don't have the necessary tools to step up consistently although it depends on what is alongside them of course.

Expected backup options being Byram?, Zimmerman, , Omomamidele, Mumba, McCallum, Rupp, McLean, Sorenson, Hernandez, Idah, and possbly (but unlikely) Martin.  Can enough of these add the required quality?     Hope so. 

Possibles with potential to step up, Barden, Oxborough, Famewo, Martin, Platcheta (not IMO), Sinani (not sure), Sitti (probably not) and Adshead.

Still work to do!  

8 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I feel at least one of those three could surprise in the PL, probably Martin, may be Sorensen (done little wrong) or even Placheta (raw and needed settlement.)

It seems to be that gap between PL and Championship level that is the matter. All three are young and could leap it, imo.

It seems to me that your posting confirms that we have a squad capable of succeeding in the Championship, anytime and everytime. We are now Premier League but cannot suddenly replace them with proven PL players at cost and wages.

We have to bite the bullet with any number of our promising youngsters, whilst re-inforcing the squad with quality where needed and when affordable. 

This is the slight problem with yo-yoing- Mumba and Martin would probably be in line for more games if we were still in the Championship but are they good enough to be relied on at the top level? Probably not yet. So maybe a loan with a view to them being starters if we go back down.

Said in previous threads that my three to "do a Cantwell" are Placheta, Idah, and Sorensen. If Hernandez can be our best player after Project Restart in the Premiership, I'm very interested in seeing what a Rashica or Placheta can do as Placheta is certainly faster than Hernandez, and Rashica looks at least as fast if not a bit quicker than Onel even if not in Przemek's league so both of those lads on a counter attack....

Stiepermann was hit-and-miss at left-back before bossing it in a radically different position at number 10 in his second season. Sorensen was class at left-back to the point a fair few of us were happy with him staying there until Giannoulis was bought and solved the problem of our attacks down the left being a little bit stulted. Sorensen suffered from the fact Skipp was so solid and consistent, but he's probably the most intriguing of the current squad right now in that we don't really know his level in what is ostensibly his best position, yet he looked like a leading defensive full back in the Championship having never played in that position - or indeed in England - before.

9 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Exhibit 1 in the 'Comments that didn't age well section'.  😉 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Exhibit 1 in the 'Comments that didn't age well section'.  😉 

I'll change it for Mumba then, and be prepared for him to be loaned out tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bushiri is very highly rated by the club, they are hopeful that he can remain injury free for a 25-30 game run on loan somewhere. Probably Belgium again. He's too good a prospect to just write off. 

No chance Sorenson is off, he's seen as a reliable and versatile squad player i suspect, can play all across defence and centre mid. 

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'm very interested in seeing what a Rashica or Placheta can do as Placheta is certainly faster than Hernandez

Huge difference in being fast and being fast running with the ball, and we've not much of the latter at all. 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Huge difference in being fast and being fast running with the ball, and we've not much of the latter at all. 

Agree in principle, but it's still a handy weapon on counter attacks when driving from deeper positions into space. Prime example, Placheta versus Huddersfield on the opening day. If Idah hadn't turned up to tap in, Placheta would have had it, and he came from ten yards further back.

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Bushiri is very highly rated by the club, they are hopeful that he can remain injury free for a 25-30 game run on loan somewhere. Probably Belgium again. He's too good a prospect to just write off. 

No chance Sorenson is off, he's seen as a reliable and versatile squad player i suspect, can play all across defence and centre mid. 

At some point though, Sorensen will want to play football!   You would expect!   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

16 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

We finished the season knowing there were a few question marks over the squad, so it'll be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of months.

I agree with a lot of the issues that the OP has raised. Just to add a couple of points:

- I hope the younger members of the squad (Idah, Mumba, Omobamidele) stay and are given the opportunity in the PL. With Godfrey, Lewis and Buendia gone - and Cantwell and Arrons potentially off soon too - we need to be bringing the next crop through. 

- I hope Hernandez stays injury free and reminds people of what he can do. I don't expect him to be a regular starter but he is an awkward player and gives us a different option off the bench.

- Hugill is a great character but I now see him as fourth choice behind Rashica. Don't get me wrong, he can add value if we want more of a presence up front for the last 10 mins but he isn't suited to our style of play at all.

Pleased to see Onel on the Joma launch video. Reassures me he'll be sticking around 🙂

Good to see the club cracking on with this. Definately space being made. But for what? Club seems to be beng rather ruthless with those players we dont think will make the grade at Premier League level