Sign in to follow this  
Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Stiepermann leaves by mutual consent

Just now, Samwam27 said:

With Mario and now Stieps, that's two No.10's gone. Unless Farke is expecting more rotation, I hope we'll see reinforcements coming in. It's good to freshen, and with Leitner also gone, it's good to clear the decks 

Would be really surprising if we don’t bring in a replacement now that we’ve let two go now. I know Webber said quality over quantity, so he’s achieved trimming the attacking mid area - think it’s fair to be optimistic that we’ll see a new face arrive in that position.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Really surprised no one was willing to take him from us for a nominal fee.

How do you know they weren't? Doesn't mean he'd want to sign for those clubs.

Mutual termination can be a gesture of goodwill at times, means he'll have more options, can accept trials wherever etc.

• Like 2

Always tinged with a bit of sadness when players much liked  leave but yea...there had to be a cull if we are serious about really having a proper go at being a Prem club. Each one that departs lessens the wage  bill. Whether by contracts endings, mutual termination etc guys like Tettey, Vrancic, Leitner, Marco S, Soto and maybe a few more to follow where never going to be part of a City 21-22 Premier squad..it shows  that SW and the club mean business and sentiment if any can lay in the hands of us fans.

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

How do you know they weren't? Doesn't mean he'd want to sign for those clubs.

Mutual termination can be a gesture of goodwill at times, means he'll have more options, can accept trials wherever etc.

Yeah possibly. I guess the Covid market might make things slightly different but for me it just feels unusual seeing a good player mutually released. Like you say, probably better for him.

Seems like lessons being learned here.   The ruthless approach needed to be competitive.   Rightly, they gave the lads a chance last time but it backfired.   They won't under-estimate now.

Steipermann, Vrancic, Leitner, Trybull and Drmic were all typical examples, they all failed, were nowhere near the level.  When the loan players failed too, come the final throws Farke's only options were Tettey and McLean who weren’t up to the task either.

Seems absolutely no point in keeping players who, regardless of injuries can't contribute any more than our under 23’s which would be the case with all of these 5 players.   Reckon we can add Klose, Platcheta and Hugill to that list too.

It's encouraging to see the club taking the initiative, they appear in control of what we need.   Think we can expect a number of additions at centre-half, at least two central midfielders and two forwards (one to compete with Teemu, one behind). We have to consider the inevitability of injuries and need sufficient depth in the squad.  They will be aware we are nowhere near the strength required.

In terms of depth, as well as McLean did last season, he just doesn’t have the ability, the pace, power and energy to be a first choice option. Fundamentally, our game is based on passing through the thirds, our central midfielders being capable of receiving the ball and moving it on.  In that regard, McLean found the EPL a struggle.  Rupp is similar but they do provide much better back up than we had previously.   Both Famewo and Omobamidele can offer good back up but up front, Teemu has needed competition for a long time, we desperately need someone in that can provide that, its too much to load it onto Idah and unfortunately all Hugill will do is concede free-kicks.    

Edited by ged in the onion bag

Not at all surprised. Was brilliant for us in our previous promotion season but didn’t cut it in the PL and wasn’t the same this season as last time round in the Championship, although did catch Covid and got an ear infection. 

Always sad when someone leaves when they have worn the shirt. If they have played for us then they are OK by me. Never known why players are hounded even if they aren't the best.

Marco had one brilliant and rewarding season and that alone demands great respect. He formed a terrific partnership with Teemu and did his share in midfield also.

Good luck to him for the future.

• Like 4

Not surprised in some ways as he would have been on my list to move on. However I am surprised we couldn't get a fee for him but perhaps he was more valuable to us than to other set ups who don't play our style.

Not sure this is a cull as such but we are worryingly short of depth in attacking midfielders and expect some incoming very soon. 

I'll just lob this in. Should be a fond memory for all of us. The celebrations that came and Marco's inner child leapt out to play when we hit that equaliser against Forest... 🙂

Stiepi and the photographer.jpg

• Like 5

Norwich City is finally turning into a club that changes personnel to suit its needs. Its weird to see but also refreshing, I finally feel we’re trying to make the required transition to Premier League instead of being overly sentimental. 

I loved Stiepermann in 18/19 but he couldn’t make the step up to the Prem required and has looked frustrated for 2 seasons. 

Good luck to him. But long live NCFC

36 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Always sad when someone leaves when they have worn the shirt. If they have played for us then they are OK by me. Never known why players are hounded even if they aren't the best.

Marco had one brilliant and rewarding season and that alone demands great respect. He formed a terrific partnership with Teemu and did his share in midfield also.

Good luck to him for the future.

I think more than this, he stuck out the abuse he got for being an awkward left back for the best part of a season when he was playing there for the good of the team and not himself. Not only did he stick at it, he repaid the club for taking a bit of a gamble on him by proving to all of those who had criticised him why he was not a left back and why he could play further forward.

A quiet, unassuming warrior with true class and professionalism. I think he'll be missed behind the scenes as he had a good sense of humour and seemed to be a steady worker. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I hope he fully recovers from his issues last year, and hope he gets a good move back home. His parting comments where very very kind and heartfelt... I like the guy and he contributed a lot to NCFC.

Would be nice to have him back so we could show our appreciation some time.

I'm hoping that they'll have a Tettey XI vs Vrancic XI friendly next preseason, similar to te Russ vs Wes one.

Quite a few of the Webber/Farke old guard leaving without saying a proper goodbye, so it would be nice.

2 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

I'm hoping that they'll have a Tettey XI vs Vrancic XI friendly next preseason, similar to te Russ vs Wes one.

Quite a few of the Webber/Farke old guard leaving without saying a proper goodbye, so it would be nice.

Great idea. All the best for the future to Marco, he always seems to be a big part of the positive team atmosphere.

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Seems like lessons being learned here.   The ruthless approach needed to be competitive.   Rightly, they gave the lads a chance last time but it backfired.   They won't under-estimate now.

Steipermann, Vrancic, Leitner, Trybull and Drmic were all typical examples, they all failed, were nowhere near the level.  When the loan players failed too, come the final throws Farke's only options were Tettey and McLean who weren’t up to the task either.

Seems absolutely no point in keeping players who, regardless of injuries can't contribute any more than our under 23’s which would be the case with all of these 5 players.   Reckon we can add Klose, Platcheta and Hugill to that list too.

It's encouraging to see the club taking the initiative, they appear in control of what we need.   Think we can expect a number of additions at centre-half, at least two central midfielders and two forwards (one to compete with Teemu, one behind). We have to consider the inevitability of injuries and need sufficient depth in the squad.  They will be aware we are nowhere near the strength required.

In terms of depth, as well as McLean did last season, he just doesn’t have the ability, the pace, power and energy to be a first choice option. Fundamentally, our game is based on passing through the thirds, our central midfielders being capable of receiving the ball and moving it on.  In that regard, McLean found the EPL a struggle.  Rupp is similar but they do provide much better back up than we had previously.   Both Famewo and Omobamidele can offer good back up but up front, Teemu has needed competition for a long time, we desperately need someone in that can provide that, its too much to load it onto Idah and unfortunately all Hugill will do is concede free-kicks.    

I think it's just a case of:

a) it's the natural end of a cycle. Stiepermann, Klose etc. have been here for a while now and it needs refreshening.

b) the club has outgrown them. Instead of having a squad full of unknowns from the German second division, we are now looking to add more established players to the ranks, like Gibson, Giannoulis and Rashica.

c) having a small squad that is full of quality.

d) getting them off the wage bill. Leitner, Klose, Drmic, Trybull and Stiepermann must have been earning around 100k per week, which is almost 5 million over the season.

20 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Tettey has always said he's not interested in one. He could change his mind I suppose. 

Wish him all the best. Like Vrancic and Tettey I'm sure I'll find myself checking their results next season.

I did see this coming, granted I thought it would just be a loan or a nominal fee transfer.

41 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

I will miss this guy.

He was a part of the rebuilding of this club. Legend for me.

Yep it's sad to see the main chunk of that promotion team depart.

Whilst I wasn't on board with the 'they're the best ncfc team ever' mindset, they probably produced the most exhilarating games of football we've ever seen.

From memory, it's now Lewis, Godfrey, Leitner, Tettey, Vrancic, Buendia, Stiepermann and Rhodes that have all gone. Klose, Trybull are soon to leave, with Aarons and Cantwell possibilities.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chicken said:

I think more than this, he stuck out the abuse he got for being an awkward left back for the best part of a season when he was playing there for the good of the team and not himself. Not only did he stick at it, he repaid the club for taking a bit of a gamble on him by proving to all of those who had criticised him why he was not a left back and why he could play further forward.

A quiet, unassuming warrior with true class and professionalism. I think he'll be missed behind the scenes as he had a good sense of humour and seemed to be a steady worker. 

It's a change of topic, but you've just summed up why I think Sorensen's going to come very good indeed in defensive midfield - namely a spell playing at left-back. Personally, I'd have selected Stiepermann as the POTY for 2018/9 simply as his presence in the number 10 was a catalyst for a lot of our best work, including Pukki and Buendia, and although Vrancic hit two at Elland Road, I thought Stiepi stood out in that game for just generally helping ease pressure off us, whilst proving a very awkward out-ball for Leeds to cope with.

Completely agree with the sentiments expressed though. Stiepermann was an excellent team player and not one who shirked anything. I definitely got the impression he was a quiet leader in there.

I see Stiepermann has given an interview confirming he has long COVID and he in fact instigated the release to allow him to be treated. To me, it just confirms what a top guy he is. I hope he gets back to full fitness and we see him back doing that goofy crab celebration and telling everyone he was born to score goals really soon.

👍

• Like 11

Would certainly explain why a player who stood out for being a bloody active handful in the 2018-9 Championship-winning season with his ability to put feet in and pressure opposing defenders looked far more lethargic this time around, especially as he always seemed to be one who never caused trouble for lack of professionalism and looked a really steady, focused presence.

Here's hoping he's able to recover fully and get back to playing soon. 

15 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I see Stiepermann has given an interview confirming he has long COVID and he in fact instigated the release to allow him to be treated. To me, it just confirms what a top guy he is. I hope he gets back to full fitness and we see him back doing that goofy crab celebration and telling everyone he was born to score goals really soon.

It also means his return to football is entirely on his terms though, rather than having to wait on the club arguing over a few percent with a club that he has very little say on. 

I've dealt with some long covid symptoms and its no joke. I'm lucky though that my job doesn't rely on being physically fit- I can't imagine how difficult it must be for an athlete like Stiepermann. 

He looked good in his cameo's at the end of last season.

But I suppose there is a big difference looking good in 10 minutes and having the stamina to start a game. 

Antony McNamee made a career out of being a 10-15 minute guy.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

I've dealt with some long covid symptoms and its no joke. I'm lucky though that my job doesn't rely on being physically fit- I can't imagine how difficult it must be for an athlete like Stiepermann. 

Not experience myself but a client has been suffering for 6 months, it's only now that she's able to start feeling 'normal' doing her usual relatively active lifestyle things she does.

16 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

👍

Absolutely. So much respect for Stiepi.

Explains his problems last season. I really hope he gets over this quickly.