Sign in to follow this  
Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Stiepermann leaves by mutual consent

Not shocked to be honest but didn’t think he’d be out this early. And surprised that we don’t seem to think that we can sell him, given his previous success at this level.

Edited by Canary Wundaboy

I’m mildly surprised - I thought he could be useful as a squad player ... gotta have throughput to keep things feeling fresh I guess ... a good servant to the good tho’ ... I wish him well ...

Then expect another signing  to replace him for sure.

always the sad side to promotion, popular players that have done well but not deemed good enough for the next season.

Hope he has done well out of the settlement and didn’t try and do ‘ a Naismith ‘ 

2 minutes ago, Mr Tea said:

Then expect another signing  to replace him for sure.

Nah.

We've already got Dowell, Rupp, McLean and Cantwell who can play no. 10.

I like him as a player, he's awkward and causes problems for defenders.

Really surprised no one was willing to take him from us for a nominal fee.

• Like 3

Will miss Stiepi. Was ever reliable and was fantastic in our promotion season two years ago. Premier League was just too big a hurdle for him. Wish him all the best and just goes to show how ruthless Webber is this time around. No time for sentiments. You either need to be good enough to contribute to the squad or your time is up. 

I remember reading an article about his struggles with coronavirus. It really hit Stiepermann pretty hard and I think as a result has cost him a more important role in this past season.

I really hope he finds a new club where he can get back to the Marco "Born to Score Goals and Celebrate as a Crab" Stiepermann we all know and love.

Definitely joins my fictional list of players who should never have to buy a pint for themselves in Norwich ever again.

• Like 3

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

Seems very strange to let him go for nothing. He is easily worth a fee at championship level 

Presumably we’re doing the decent thing and saying will let you go free so get a decent club and we’ll save a years premier league wages

make sense, decent servant but wouldn’t be used much next season

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

I remember reading an article about his struggles with coronavirus. It really hit Stiepermann pretty hard and I think as a result has cost him a more important role in this past season.

I really hope he finds a new club where he can get back to the Marco "Born to Score Goals and Celebrate as a Crab" Stiepermann we all know and love.

Definitely joins my fictional list of players who should never have to buy a pint for themselves in Norwich ever again.

Weren't his coronavirus tests all negative? It was Epstein-Barr he had and which clobbered him for some time.

• Like 1

I would think Steipis attitude is very different to Mo Leitner, it could be that he knew he wouldn’t really be involved this season so has approached the club to do a deal allowing him to go home and look for a new one back in Germany 

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

I would think Steipis attitude is very different to Mo Leitner, it could be that he knew he wouldn’t really be involved this season so has approached the club to do a deal allowing him to go home and look for a new one back in Germany 

Yeah that's what I wonder- otherwise I'd imagine we'd have waited until August at least before agreeing to pay him up.

I'm mixed on this to be honest, I think there's a decent player in there and thought it might be worth keeping him around because we're more likely than not to be relegated again and he's a good Championship player. At the moment we only have Dowell as a central number 10 and his injury record is questionable, I hope we're planning on bringing in another central attacking midfielder. 

Squad being ruthlessly culled. I suppose we have less games this season and even less need for these fringe players based on their ability.

It'll be interesting to see how many new faces come in to make up the numbers as presumably there isn't many from the loan brigade that will step back into the first team picture (McCallum maybe?)

8 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'm mixed on this to be honest, I think there's a decent player in there and thought it might be worth keeping him around because we're more likely than not to be relegated again and he's a good Championship player. At the moment we only have Dowell as a central number 10 and his injury record is questionable, I hope we're planning on bringing in another central attacking midfielder. 

Dowell, Rupp, McLean, Cantwell and Rashica all capable of being number 10s

17 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Weren't his coronavirus tests all negative? It was Epstein-Barr he had and which clobbered him for some time.

EPB and coronavirus are closely linked. 

14 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Squad being ruthlessly culled.

Soto gone as well. Some on here thought he was our striking saviour....

19 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Both. He had covid then later Epstein-Barr.
https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-marco-stiepermann-reveals-coronavirus-identity-1840608 

Anyone else get the feeling that something is afoot? I mean, I know we all had a question mark around whether or not he would be kept around for another premier league campaign, but it almost feels like we are clearing the decks a bit. Especially seeing Soto is likely on the move as well, freeing up some wage space perhaps?

Got to imagine that at 30 he probably was on a half decent wage and only a couple of seasons ago was considered a first team regular. Injuries this season didn't help him re-establish himself. Not the greatest of players we have ever had, but a hard worker, a good pro and had a bit of steel about him. A little sad to see him go but we do seem relatively well stocked in that area of the pitch now.

• Like 1

We do have quite a large squad so this suggests a culling to some extent and a greater focus on a smaller number of players.

Godspeed Marco! I'll miss you.

I'm a bit surprised we couldn't get £100-200K for him with some Bundesliga 2 club?? Presumably we're giving him some sort of settlement which is a fair bit less than what his wages would have been for the year but I'd think we could have sold him to someone and made a little money?

5 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Soto gone as well. Some on here thought he was our striking saviour....

Don’t remember anyone calling him our ‘striking saviour’, but perfectly reasonable for supporters on here to be optimistic about him. He is a young player and there’s still plenty of time for him to leave egg on peoples faces, so I wouldn’t write him off so quickly - let’s not forget it is Porto that are taking a punt on him here, so it’s not exactly like he’s being flogged as a failure to some League 2 side or suchlike.

I hope he fully recovers from his issues last year, and hope he gets a good move back home. His parting comments where very very kind and heartfelt... I like the guy and he contributed a lot to NCFC.

Would be nice to have him back so we could show our appreciation some time.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Must definitely mean someone else in coming in then. Shame for Marco as I liked him but struggled in the prem last time out and has fallen out of the side with fitness issues. Wish him all the best!

With Mario and now Stieps, that's two No.10's gone. Unless Farke is expecting more rotation, I hope we'll see reinforcements coming in. It's good to freshen, and with Leitner also gone, it's good to clear the decks 

• Like 1

No shock, hasn't improved since his decent season a couple of years ago. Would barely be a fringe player, right move for club and player.