Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

All this anti-Andy Hughes garbage

While he may not be the most technically gifted player, there is always room in the team for one water carrier, who works tirelessly, and plays the ball simply. Gary Holt was immense for us for 2 or 3 seasons in that role. That is the role Andy Hughes is here to fill.

The problem is that it''s the rest of the team, the so called creative one''s, who when they fail to deliver, Hughes'' lack of ability is used as the reason for our failure. So Hughes has been made into a scapegoat, as he lacks the technical skill. But that isn''t his role in the team. And never will be. He is here to break up play, close down spaces, and win the ball and play it simply. It''s not his fault Worthington failed to fill our right midfielder position. Asking him to play right mid, or anyone in our squad, is like asking them to drink from a poisoned chalice at the moment - as no one in our squad can play there like a Neil Adams, Ruel Fox or Dale Gordon. Get off his back.

a water carrier would be good if he didn''t keep tripping over his bucket.

and you forgot to complete the sentence "He is here to break up play, close down spaces, and win the ball and play it simply" with "..back to theopposition!

How you can justify Andy Hughes performances mate is beyond me. He''s awful. There is one positive though, he isn''t the only one, Etuhu is just as bad.

i cant beleive people can compare gary holt to andy hughes

gary holt was a top midfield defensive player in this division. he hussled, harried and covered the defense.

andy hughes just runs about a lot with no real purpose, he cant tackle (unless you call diving in two footed when the ball left 5 minutes ago tackling) and has no positional sense.

the only similarity is that both are poor passers of the ball....

Andy hughes would probably do a decent job as a full back IMO, with all that energy to go up and down the flanks and back defending.

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]

While he may not be the most technically gifted player, there is always room in the team for one water carrier, who works tirelessly, and plays the ball simply. Gary Holt was immense for us for 2 or 3 seasons in that role. That is the role Andy Hughes is here to fill.

The problem is that it''s the rest of the team, the so called creative one''s, who when they fail to deliver, Hughes'' lack of ability is used as the reason for our failure. So Hughes has been made into a scapegoat, as he lacks the technical skill. But that isn''t his role in the team. And never will be. He is here to break up play, close down spaces, and win the ball and play it simply. It''s not his fault Worthington failed to fill our right midfielder position. Asking him to play right mid, or anyone in our squad, is like asking them to drink from a poisoned chalice at the moment - as no one in our squad can play there like a Neil Adams, Ruel Fox or Dale Gordon. Get off his back.

[/quote]

anyway you sound like worthy blaming the creative players...  i reckon the hoof the ball down the park missing out the creative players is to blame.

I have not been impressed with Hughes and to make matters worse a very good friend of mine is a Royals fan. In the summer he told me to expect a lot of frantic-headless running with the ball across the width of the pitch with no direction, no passing excellence, no whipped crosses and no dramatic tackles ... the Reading fans knew it and with a little research surely we could have noticed it too - he does exactly the same for us and we shelled out half a million for it.

He is unfortunate to be in a midfield with Ethutu because the two of them are poor but the crucial fact remains for me - the reason for our failure is the midfield. Apart from Safri we have no invention, no creativity, no hard tackling, no real crossing, no thoughtful positioning, marking and tracking. The middle of our team is weak and Hughes is a big reason for that.

Honesty and a powerful engine alone are not good enough ... and look at Reading now!

It is difficult when assessing players performance - if they are consistently below par it is easy to get at the player (guilty as charged m''lud) but the real blame lies with the manager for persisting with these players despite performances failing to be up to scratch...  there have been far to many instances of this over the last few seasons and it has lead to these players leaving the club rather than the true ''culprit'' 

He didn''t look too bad against Ipswich in the first half. Typical that when he was having one of his better games (well in comparison) Worthy subs him at half time!! It''s worrying that Worthy persued him for so long and was our top summer signing!! I bet the Reading board laughed!!

be honest, i think we''ve all seen enough of hughes to suggest  he is not of the same quality as holt was.  holt ended up being capped for scotland, which is not a huge endorsement in itself but reflects he had reached a pretty good level.  while he had three lungs, holt ran the midfield for us - while hughes gives his all, he can''t dominate other teams in the same way.

"He is here to break up play, close down spaces, and win the ball and play it simply."

But he doesnt.

Thats why everyone is having a go at him.

And Alex , you must have been watching a different game to me - I lost count of the amount of times Clapalot gave the ball away.

Andy Hughes is definitely no Gary Holt. Holt looked out of his depth in the prem but he was a great signing and quality in the Champ. He was a significant factor behind our promotion. Andy Hughes looks out of place in the Champ!

He played OK against Ipswich, but it is not his best position on the right I would say. It looked typical of our season so far that our right side was Hughes and Fleming!!!  Thank god Saff is back.

if you look at our midfield its not hard to see why we are struggling

No right winger

Hucks leaves left back exposed, perhaps should play up top or given a free role behind strikers

Etuhu, jarret and hughes all below average

Robinson is decent but no Francis

Safri only player who can create

This is just not balanced enough to compete with other sides

Reading - Little, sidwell, harper, convey, 2 proper wingers and 2 box to box players with great skill and talent

Norwich 04 - Cooper/Harper, Holt, Francis, Brennan/Mcveigh

Hughes is absolutely awful. Can''t pass, can''t tackle, can''t do much at all in fact. except run around shouting a lot and clapping. For five or ten grand a week, I''d be more than happy to do that. 

For me, the signing of Andy Hughes is unforgivable. All reports before we signed him suggested that he is a lower league, work hard but little else midfielder. His technical ability is appalling. I''ve seen nothing to show me otherwise. Whoever was responsible for scouting Hughes and suggesting him as a possible signing should be dismissed for gross incompetence!