Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Leitner Gone

Thanks for the memories. Contributed well to our first promotion under Farke, but should have gone the season we were relegated. 

Just now, LaUnionCanary said:

Loan season I was very impresed, buy him for £1m, nothing since.

It's immensely frustrating when a player with undoubtable talent and ability just fizzles into nothing. Mo Leitner could be a premier league player. That he isn't is only down to him.

• Like 3

A decent player who just didn't quit cut it physically or mentally. He was excellent in 2018-19 but didn't offer enough defensively. Skipp was a significant upgrade. He could probably do a job in the Championship or equivalent in another country. I wish him well. 

Potentially scored a goal that completely changed our club's fate. Rumours abound that defeat at Portman Road in 2018 might have been the death knell for Farke. Even if he survived the chop, the naysayers would have got louder having lost to the s(um for the first time in years and years and success would have been harder to come by in that hostile environment.

However, up popped Leitner, got us a point at Ipswich, kept the unbeaten streak against them going and triggered a ridiculous run of results that saw us promoted.

Who knows what would have happened if Leitner had missed?

• Like 3

Took long enough. Would say I feel for him given he was clearly talnted, helped us out when we needed it and of course his Ipswich heroics but provided all the rumours about his behind the scenes atttude problems and his.. Obvious and loud dislike of Farke didnt help things.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

23 minutes ago, LaUnionCanary said:

Loan season I was very impresed, buy him for £1m, nothing since.

A David Neilsen for modern times.

• Like 3

A warning for any of our youngsters who lose their focus. However, I do hope that his mental health is fine - I could be wrong but falling out of love with football like he seemed to do, I do wonder if something deeper was gnawing at him that never quite got sorted out. Indeed I'm almost hoping it was just an attitude problem and not that.

Should have been in the Gilmour position now, but he never quite got his head sorted. He was good if indeed not excellent during the loan spell, providing a deft turn of touch, pace, and class to team moves and generally driving the team forward with intelligently picked passes.

But we outgrew him, and he couldn't handle it.

15 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Potentially scored a goal that completely changed our club's fate. Rumours abound that defeat at Portman Road in 2018 might have been the death knell for Farke. Even if he survived the chop, the naysayers would have got louder having lost to the s(um for the first time in years and years and success would have been harder to come by in that hostile environment.

However, up popped Leitner, got us a point at Ipswich, kept the unbeaten streak against them going and triggered a ridiculous run of results that saw us promoted.

Who knows what would have happened if Leitner had missed?

Obviously you don't. Webber knew, that's why he always said Farke wouldn't have been sacked.

3 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Obviously you don't. Webber knew, that's why he always said Farke wouldn't have been sacked.

Yes. Webber knew exactly what would have happened had Leitner missed. I mean, getting Norwich promoted was great and all that, but I can't help thinking he could have done a bit more if he had the clairvoyance you attribute him with.

Got off to a great start in our last promotion season, scoring a vital goal to keep our record against our rivals going. After that I believe he got injured and never re managed to get himself back into the team, although there were rumours about a fallout with Farke.

No surprise to see it terminated - one year left, and wasn’t in the plans for this season so can’t see how he would be next season

58 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Got off to a great start in our last promotion season, scoring a vital goal to keep our record against our rivals going. After that I believe he got injured and never re managed to get himself back into the team, although there were rumours about a fallout with Farke.

No surprise to see it terminated - one year left, and wasn’t in the plans for this season so can’t see how he would be next season

The problem as I saw it at the time, was that he was injured, got fit then felt he should have been put back in the team - but as we know if the team is doing well, Farke won't necessarily bring players back in just because they are back fit. That policy paid dividends with other players getting rewarded for doing well which kept others out and got us promotion.  It is a logical way of doing things and players would have known the way of things - but Leitner seemed to expect different, bad mouthed DF and that was it - out of the team for good.  

I seem to remember he did try to put himself about a bit so did work and battle, it seems the problem is he ostracized himself by criticizing Farke. What I can't work out is how he hasn't found another club, I would have thought midtable dutch teams or Bundesliga 2 clubs for example would be queuing around the blck for him

7 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I seem to remember he did try to put himself about a bit so did work and battle, it seems the problem is he ostracized himself by criticizing Farke. What I can't work out is how he hasn't found another club, I would have thought midtable dutch teams or Bundesliga 2 clubs for example would be queuing around the blck for him

He's reportedly got an absolute dog ****e attitude. I've heard some describe him as the most arrogant player they've ever met at Norwich. He was already frozen out by Ausburg for similar reasons before he joined us apparently. 

9 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I would think that the prospect of coming back and training under Andy Hughes encouraged him to do a deal

Maybe Hughes could have taught him a bit about hard work and generally not being a ****.

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

He's reportedly got an absolute dog ****e attitude. I've heard some describe him as the most arrogant player they've ever met at Norwich. He was already frozen out by Ausburg for similar reasons before he joined us apparently. 

I think it was similar at Lazio too. He played 13 minutes of football before being shipped out after six months.

Somewhere in  him is a very good footballer but it seems he is his own worst enemy...anyways it does free up one wage  packet which is good. If the same can be done with Drmic and Trybull, Klose to, then it feels like a  decent reduction in wages to players who dont play for us anymore.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Indeed! someone I know who claims to be ITK at CR says we couldn't find another club for him last season because his reputation for petulance is so well known no team at all was prepared to come in for him. Such a shame as the man is clearly very talented. Leit's out!

Undoubtedly had the ability, but suspect like others he didn't quite put in enough effort. As a team we've outgrown him, McLean might not be the best passer but he's definitely more mobile and streets ahead of the Leitner we saw towards the end sadly. 

Wish him well and fair play to him for agreeing to terminate, hope he finds a decent club

What a shame. Loved Leitner, he has all the tools technically to be a GREAT player, no question. But it’s like he didn’t give a f*ck whatsoever about football. Now spending his time advertising lentil crisps. What went wrong we’ll never know for sure...

Best of luck to him and give him credit for one would assume taking a hit to his finances.

Actually for a brief spell he was an important part as to why Farkeball was allowed to flourish so no huge harm done.

I imagine part of the reason other clubs didn’t bid for him was that he was on a decent wage here and he wouldn’t move if it involved a pay cut. Although his wages are “off the books”, I would guess that we had to give him a fair chunk of what we would have paid him this year to get rid.

Attitude beats skills it seams. Pity a lot of players like that. Obviously not a team man.

Good luck Moritz .

Another one bites the dust

19 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I imagine part of the reason other clubs didn’t bid for him was that he was on a decent wage here and he wouldn’t move if it involved a pay cut. Although his wages are “off the books”, I would guess that we had to give him a fair chunk of what we would have paid him this year to get rid.

Honestly not sure he was that fussed about finding a new club. As Bethnal said elsewhere it wouldn't be a big shock if he retires.