Sign in to follow this  
Christoph Stiepermann

Best atmosphere you've experienced at CR?

Now that we should be back to having fans back in the stadium next year it's got me thinking about how much we're all going to enjoy the atmosphere at CR next year. What was for you the best atmosphere you've experienced at CR?

For me it's a three way tie between the 2-0 Man Utd win back in 2005, Adam Drury's testimonial and the win v Man City a couple of seasons ago. I would say over the course of a game the 2-0 v Man Utd was the best I remember but I've never heard CR as loud as it was during Drury's testimonial, particularly when Hucks came on I've never heard it that loud before, that was a truly spine tingling moment. 

But my experience only goes back to about 2002, so what in your opinion was the best atmosphere you've ever experienced at one of our home games?

Obvious one is our win vs Man City. 

Norwich 4 Southampton 4 sticks in my memory, amazing game and Robert Rosario won goal of the season. It was terracing then so the atmosphere was superb. 

My experience probably goes back to a similar time period to you - 2003ish

For me, it's tough to pick between:

1. Simeon Jackson winner against Derby. What a group of players... you could tell even up to the last seconds, the fans new we would get that goal. When it came, the stadium absolutely exploded.
  2. Beating Man City. I'm not sure if it is recency-bias, but of all the "upsets" we'd caused over the last 15 or so years - that one felt the most special. It's a huge shame we couldn't build on that result, in the hour or so after the game - all the players, fans and staff looked and felt so confident.
  3. 4-1 against Ipswich. We absolutely dismantled them, and cemented Holty as an icon. Of all the games, this was the one that had the most consistent bouncing atmosphere for the full 90mins. I think we'd been fairly poor against them until that game as well, so it felt so good to beat them so resoundingly.
  4. 4-4 against Boro. My first real experience at Carrow Road with a last minute comeback - definitely has a special place in my memory.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

My experience probably goes back to a similar time period to you - 2003ish

For me, it's tough to pick between:

1. Simeon Jackson winner against Derby. What a group of players... you could tell even up to the last seconds, the fans new we would get that goal. When it came, the stadium absolutely exploded.
  2. Beating Man City. I'm not sure if it is recency-bias, but of all the "upsets" we'd caused over the last 15 or so years - that one felt the most special. It's a huge shame we couldn't build on that result, in the hour or so after the game - all the players, fans and staff looked and felt so confident.
  3. 4-1 against Ipswich. We absolutely dismantled them, and cemented Holty as an icon. Of all the games, this was the one that had the most consistent bouncing atmosphere for the full 90mins. I think we'd been fairly poor against them until that game as well, so it felt so good to beat them so resoundingly.
  4. 4-4 against Boro. My first real experience at Carrow Road with a last minute comeback - definitely has a special place in my memory.

This^

28 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The Milk Cup semi final second leg win against Ippo has got to be up there...........

Definitely - It doesn’t get much better than beating your local rivals to get to Wembley, and we’ve done it twice in my lifetime 👍🙂

• Like 3

I definitely appreciate some of the suggestions on here like the 3-0 v Ipswich and the draw v Boro. But I was there for both games and while I loved the experience for me in terms of sheer volume and emotional outpouring they don't compare with the Man Utd win and when Hucks came on late during Drury's testimonial. However anyone who suggests something before 2002-ish I'll have to take your word for it. 

58 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

24 April 1973. We beat Palace 2-1 to stay up in the First Division.

We're both showing our age but that was a hell of a night with 35,000 or so rammed inside. When Stringer (I believe?) scored the late winner there was an explosion of noise. Surprised no-one mentions the Bayern Munich home leg. Still the best for me as the game ran down to 90 minutes and the noise got louder and louder. That match and the scenes immediately after were an iconic moment in our history. We were the darlings of the national media for some weeks and one R Chase had a wonderful opportunity to walk through the door that swung open. He didn't and the we now what followed.     

Loved the 3-3 with Forest but for atmosphere was Celtic coming down midweek for a testamonial.  Wish we had that many fans that sang all game. 

• Like 2

The European games were great especially the Bayern Munich at CR.

The home games during the 03/04 season when we won promotion back to the PL under N Worthington were generally something special and the atmosphere at most of those was superb.

However, despite having been going since the mid 70s, the 3-2 win against Manchester City 19/20 season will take some beating. You could even see Pep Guardiola surprised by it.

If CR rocked like that every home game, we would win the friggin league!

2 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Now that we should be back to having fans back in the stadium next year it's got me thinking about how much we're all going to enjoy the atmosphere at CR next year. What was for you the best atmosphere you've experienced at CR?

Hopefully you mean next season?! 😉 

im hopefully for full houses again, but arent overly confident I must admit. 

Shame if we dont, given all the above matches, that had had cracking atmosphere's

So many. But I'm going for late April 1972 and our last home game versus Swindon. We won 1-0 but the fans knew a first time promotion to the first division was a game away.

The singing of On The Ball City sent goosebumps right through me as a youngster, almost like the rafters of the South Stand and Barclay were expanding. I was with my late dad in the River End.

A memory that will never leave me.

• Like 1

Any time in the Barclay Terrace swaying back and forward , Packed in so you could hardly move 

in my opinion a Lot of Atmosphere was lost when in became all seating 

• Like 3

1958/59 season Norwich City vrs Manchester United FA cup when we won 3-0 on a completely snow covered pitch

Went to Carrow Road at 8am and helped clear the touch lines

38000 supporters 

2 goals for Terry Bly and Erroll Crossan the other

54 minutes ago, daly said:

1958/59 season Norwich City vrs Manchester United FA cup when we won 3-0 on a completely snow covered pitch

Went to Carrow Road at 8am and helped clear the touch lines

38000 supporters 

2 goals for Terry Bly and Erroll Crossan the other

Not the same match but seems the only footage I can find of the time. Wonder if you can spot yourself in the crowd? 😉

The Fa Cup qf replay in 89 against West Ham was pretty special. Dale Gordon finishing them off late on and the inflatable canaries going crazy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

24 April 1973. We beat Palace 2-1 to stay up in the First Division.

My dad was getting into his car in Poringland to come and collect me when the winner went in. Not sure how far it is but he heard the noise from there. 

The first game of the 2009 season was amazing just before the match and a few minutes into the match, before Colchester scored - there was so much hope and optimism it was brilliant and CR was buzzing like I've never seen it.......the contrast in atmosphere once it started to go wrong was quite incredible.  The best - and then most ugly - atmosphere, all in one match. 

The most tense atmosphere I've seen is the penultimate match of 2005 season - the 1-0 win over Birmingham in the PL in 2005, lose it and we were as good as relegated. It gave us the springboard to go into the last match with something to play for, but boy, was that some  tense match. 

Over the years, for sheer experience, one that sticks in the memory is the 1-0 over Chelsea in the fogged off replay in the LC semi-final in 1973. 

There's too many to remember or recall...

The North East fans always used to contribute to a good atmosphere.

A few years ago we came from behind  to draw 2-2 with Piswich, that was one of the loudest renditions of 'you're not singing anymore' I can remember.

13 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

Any time in the Barclay Terrace swaying back and forward , Packed in so you could hardly move 

in my opinion a Lot of Atmosphere was lost when in became all seating 

Without a doubt.

April 1973 v Palace, the atmosphere was there all the match, was behind the goal at the river end were most of the action was, think there was nearly 37,000 in that evening. For me the atmosphere was never the same when we went to all seating. Was also at the Swindon match April 1972 last home match in the promotion season, couldn't see much at the back of the Barclay as was only 12yrs old and it was packed again.

Several games over the 60 odd years i have been watching but that night in 73 v Palace just about gets the nod.

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Several games over the 60 odd years i have been watching but that night in 73 v Palace just about gets the nod.

After all these years it's tough picking out the best but I agree with Tilly that Palace night back in '73 shades Bayern Munich for me.

More recently the Man City game must run it close too.

Going back to the 1990s the fa cup QF v Southampton was pretty special  and possibly my first taste of a big match atmosphere 

V villa when we won 1-0 when we were competing for the title was great too tho the game was low on quality I recall.

Home to Blackburn when we clinched promotion