Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Best players per number

Another one for a bit of fun, after discussing recently who our best no10 and 9 have been, would be interesting to see some opinions, what are your best #1-11? 

1 Green

2 Aarons

3 Drury

4 Mackay

5 Hanley

6 Huckerby

7 Eadie

8 Fleck

9 Holt

10 Fox 

11 Goss

1) Keelan

2) Culverhouse

3) Bowen

4) Sutton

5) Fleming

6) Hucks

7) Eadie

8  Crook

9) Fashanu

10) Fox

11) Phillips

This is one where people’s ages will show!!  I’ve tried to make this a ‘realistic’ XI in terms of formation, but the numbers are probably all over the shop.  I might go:  

1 Woods

2 Culverhouse,

3 Bowen 

4 Linighan

5 Watson

6 Hucks

7 Gordon

8 Townsend

9 Holt

10 Crook 

11 Eadie,

16 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

This is one where people’s ages will show!!  I’ve tried to make this a ‘realistic’ XI in terms of formation, but the numbers are probably all over the shop.  I might go:  

1 Woods

2 Culverhouse,

3 Bowen 

4 Linighan

5 Watson

6 Hucks

7 Gordon

8 Townsend

9 Holt

10 Crook 

11 Eadie,

Certainly does @Branston Pickle, also having an influence is whether players were on the way up, way down or peaked at City. No one so far has included World Cup Final scorer Martin Peters who was still doing it City towards the end of his career. Steve Bruce went on to win 3 EPL titles, 3 FA Cups, a Euro Cup Winners Cup & Super Cup. Phil Boyer, who is often forgotton went on to be the top scorer in the old First Division. Chris Sutton went for a record fee and Fashanu scored that goal, amongst others. In contrast, Keelan was here for so long he seemed part of the furniture. Holt didn't achieve much before or after but left happy memories, although I think it means he is overrated on these list. So here goes......

1 Woods

2 Culverhouse,

3 Aarons

4 Crook 

5 Watson

6 Bruce

7 Huckerby

8 Fashanu

9 Sutton

10 Peters

11 Eadie

I was thinking of Keelan and Peters, but limited it to players I saw in the flesh - my first game aged 8 was a 4-0 loss to the binners at Portman Road (Easter 78), but I didn’t go again until I was at secondary school in the early 80s.

Edited by Branston Pickle

13 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Holt didn't achieve much before or after but left happy memories, although I think it means he is overrated on these list. So here goes....

Some of those are before my time, I was early 90s so didn't have the joy of seeing some of the older club legend. 

Disagree about Holt, 2 promotions and Premier League survival in his first 3 seasons scoring a lot of goals in the process as well as being incredibly talismanic. Definitely the best 9 since the 90s

New to the forum although lurked for years. Couldn’t resist this. Numbers might not be right, but given the choice this is my team based purely on memory.

1. Keelan

2. Culverhouse

3. Aarons

4. Watson

5. Forbes

6. Crooks

7. Peters

8. Huckerby

9. Buendia

10. Macdougal

11. Ash man

Edited by Grantham yellow
Spelling

6 hours ago, BigFish said:

Certainly does @Branston Pickle, also having an influence is whether players were on the way up, way down or peaked at City. No one so far has included World Cup Final scorer Martin Peters who was still doing it City towards the end of his career. Steve Bruce went on to win 3 EPL titles, 3 FA Cups, a Euro Cup Winners Cup & Super Cup. Phil Boyer, who is often forgotton went on to be the top scorer in the old First Division. Chris Sutton went for a record fee and Fashanu scored that goal, amongst others. In contrast, Keelan was here for so long he seemed part of the furniture. Holt didn't achieve much before or after but left happy memories, although I think it means he is overrated on these list. So here goes......

1 Woods

2 Culverhouse,

3 Aarons

4 Crook 

5 Watson

6 Bruce

7 Huckerby

8 Fashanu

9 Sutton

10 Peters

11 Eadie

I dont think Huckerby ever wore 7 or Aarons 3? Unless I'm misunderstanding the rules of this.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I dont think Huckerby ever wore 7 or Aarons 3? Unless I'm misunderstanding the rules of this.

I think it’s your greatest starting XI

21 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

But the title of the post is best players by numbers... 

I will go with players I have watched in a city shirt, wearing 1-11 or playing in that number position.e.g 3 is left back... 

1 Gunn (Brian)

2 Culverhouse,

3 Bowen 

4 Newsome

5 Mackay

6 Hucks

7 Eadie

8  Holt (3lungs)

9 Sutton (Sub Pukki #22)

10 Ashton (Sub Buendía  #17) 

11  Crook 

Edits...fixed the players who have not worn the right shirt numbers..Subbed out those who have not worn the shirt! 

Edited by Norfolk Dan
See edit note

15 hours ago, king canary said:

13 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

I pretty much saw it as @HazzaJet saw it, @king canary. But it is just a bit of fun, so get some perspective.

That said I did it in a hurry and would probably swap Aarons to 2 and bring in Bowen at 3.

Happy now?

On numbers worn and favourite players rather than technically ‘best’ or most balanced squad. 25 man squad. Using TGMD’s link to help my memory/sneak some in who switched numbers ….

1 - Green

2 - Aarons

3 - Drury

4 - Mackay

5 - Russ Martin

6 - Huckerby

7 - Snodgrass

8 - Bellamy

9 - Iwan (tricky with Holt)

10 - Ashton

11 - Gary Holt

12 - Doherty

14 - Hoolahan

15 - Safri 

16 - Olsson

17 - Buendia

18 - McVeigh

19 - Lappin

20 - Eadie

21 - Paul Gallacher

22 - Pukki

23 - Maddison

24 - Howson

27 - Tettey

30 - Bassong

Turned out more balanced than I thought. Reckon that’s a top half prem squad easy! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

I pretty much saw it as @HazzaJet saw it, @king canary. But it is just a bit of fun, so get some perspective.

That said I did it in a hurry and would probably swap Aarons to 2 and bring in Bowen at 3.

Happy now?

Get out the wrong side of the bed today? Bit ott.

Based on players I have seen playing and taking the shirt number literally (thank you to LA Union Canary)  rather than position:

1. Kevin Keelan

2. Mark Bowen

3.  Ian Culverhouse

4.  Steve Bruce

5.  Duncan Forbes

6.  Ian Crook

7. Dale Gordon

8.  Craig Bellamy

9. Martin Peters

10. Dean Ashton

11. Robert Fleck

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Based on players I have seen playing and taking the shirt number literally (thank you to LA Union Canary)  rather than position:

1. Kevin Keelan

2. Mark Bowen

3.  Ian Culverhouse

4.  Steve Bruce

5.  Duncan Forbes

6.  Ian Crook

7. Dale Gordon

8.  Craig Bellamy

9. Martin Peters

10. Dean Ashton

11. Robert Fleck

.....best so far..... 👍

• Thanks 1

1. Krul 

2. Aarons 

3. Drury 

4. Mackay 

5. Whitbread 

6. Huckerby 

7. Eadie

8. Bellamy

9. Sutton 

10. Leitner 

11. Jarvis 

@Yobocop if the best #5 you have watched in yellow and green is Whitbread, I feel for you! You must have picked some bad games to watch to turn up that result!