Thingy

Need another striker?

If we go for a striker, I can see us investing in someone who will want to replace Pukki, or at least put him under significant pressure, and we would need to spend much more than we have already.  

Edited by Newtopia

We absolutely must get a new striker.  Pukki is excellent in the Championship but sadly doesn’t quite cut the mustard at the highest level and has a poor goals to chances ratio.  Idah is still not the finished product and Hugill doesn’t have enough about him to get us the goals we’ll need to survive next season.  Our possession-based passing game works well at championship level but we really don’t have the quality to pass our way through most Premier League defences, as we found out two seasons ago.  We need to be more robust and be prepared to take a more direct approach when necessary, taking advantage of set pieces as the number of chances from open play will be very limited.  That means getting a proven goalscorer with height and strength who can actually win headers from corners.  Sadly getting such a player is easier said than done.

18 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

We absolutely must get a new striker.  Pukki is excellent in the Championship but sadly doesn’t quite cut the mustard at the highest level and has a poor goals to chances ratio.  Idah is still not the finished product and Hugill doesn’t have enough about him to get us the goals we’ll need to survive next season.  Our possession-based passing game works well at championship level but we really don’t have the quality to pass our way through most Premier League defences, as we found out two seasons ago.  We need to be more robust and be prepared to take a more direct approach when necessary, taking advantage of set pieces as the number of chances from open play will be very limited.  That means getting a proven goalscorer with height and strength who can actually win headers from corners.  Sadly getting such a player is easier said than done.

A proven goal scorer with height and strength. How many of those actually exist? Harry Kane? I mean Tammy Abraham is spoken of in the papers as being surplus to requirements, but Chelsea still want £40mil! Chris Wood of Burnley has had a £30mil price tag slapped on his head. 

Meanwhile, you would be prepared to sacrifice Teemu Pukki (whose work rate and playing style suit this side perfectly) who was the 18th highest premier league goalscorer in 2019/2020 with 11 goals for someone who is decent at corners? 

We need to do what we are good at even better next season, not try and change our entire game plan to accommodate a striker that doesn't fit the playing style our manager has earnt two promotions doing. 

As things stand we have no striker to put any pressure on Pukki. Idah hasn't for two seasons now, and Hugill hasn't this last season. As superb as Pukki as has been, there are signs we may have seen his best. Either way, if he gets an injury early on, we'll be desperately short of goal options.

Idah has time on his side at 20, but it's a massive risk (& we didn't strengthen in defence last time in Premiership, had injury problems and we were cannon fodder all season) to rely on him to step up. Neither do we know his best position.

Rashica was brought in as Buendia's replacement. Simply put we need to strengthen up front before the window closes  

17 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

As things stand we have no striker to put any pressure on Pukki. Idah hasn't for two seasons now, and Hugill hasn't this last season. As superb as Pukki as has been, there are signs we may have seen his best. Either way, if he gets an injury early on, we'll be desperately short of goal options.

Which are what exactly?

22 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

He is definitely no lesser a player than Jackson or Wilbraham though - 2 players that you cited as examples of not having to be particularly good but to just have something different about them. Disagree that he’s not strong or good in the air - that’s exactly where he is a menace and something we’d lacked for a while.

I'd argue he's better player than those two but he's nowhere near as good in the air or as strong as Wilbraham and it goes without saying that he's not as pacy as Jackson. I'll just agree to disagree here, I'm not a Hugill hater but I just don't think he's that useful at PL level. I just look at defenders like MIngs and Tarkowski who are completely average at PL level and both of them would bully a 6ft1 80kg Hugill into the ground. I respect your opinion but for me he's not what we need as an option off of the bench.

23 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We are being linked with Martin Braithwaite so it seems we are in the market for another striker. He can play wide too.

Looked very good for Denmark this evening. Not that prolific but would suit Farkeball very well.

On 25/06/2021 at 19:55, Capt. Pants said:

We are being linked with Martin Braithwaite so it seems we are in the market for another striker. He can play wide too.

Reminds me of when we signed Elmander who wasn't effective at doing anything in particular.  Elmander had been a big signing for Bolton. Braithewaite had been a big signing for Middlesbrough.  Neither was anything special and yet both then went abroad to big clubs. If I remember rightly, Elmander didn't even live in the Norwich area when here on-loan.

Edited by Thingy

1 hour ago, TheGoogler said:

Well, he only scored 26 last season....

😂

26 but missed an awful lot of chances you'd previously expect him to have put away. Hasn't looked anything at Euro's.

He's still a massive player for us, and 26 was s uperb return before I get berated further but my post wasn't about Pukki. It's the fact its a massive risk to rely of Idah or Hugill to be the only competition, or alternatives, going into Premiership campaign

• Like 1

we Need A Striker who can run in Behind PL Defenders

One thing even the very best Defenders hate is pace they drop off making space for our No10 etc 

if they push up and the pacey striker springs the offside trap he is one on one 

imagine someone with the engine and pace of Max Aarons playing up front ! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'd argue he's better player than those two but he's nowhere near as good in the air or as strong as Wilbraham and it goes without saying that he's not as pacy as Jackson. I'll just agree to disagree here, I'm not a Hugill hater but I just don't think he's that useful at PL level. I just look at defenders like MIngs and Tarkowski who are completely average at PL level and both of them would bully a 6ft1 80kg Hugill into the ground. I respect your opinion but for me he's not what we need as an option off of the bench.

So why on earth do you say ‘he’s not what we need at Premier League’ level, yet cite two of the crappest players we’ve ever had at that level as examples of what we could do with signing?! REALLY?! I’d like to see some proof from yourself Wilbraham is stronger than Hugill, or even better in the air, as you so factually put it across? Aaron Wilbraham was absolutely crap, and I would imagine his goals per minutes against Jordan’s is pretty embarrassing to say the least. And apart from an iconic game or maybe 2, Simeon Jackson was the fastest donkey in the East. I honestly can’t believe you’re suggesting either of those players as examples of what we could do with on the bench, yet the statistically better Hugill already isn’t up to it according to your unproven assumptions. I do think we’d be best off selling Jordan to a Championship side and then upgrading ourselves, but should he be here next season then I won’t be complaining. He offers something different to Pukki, and so far, has done very well for Norwich City when you look at the impact he’s made as a late substitute.

Unless Rashica is our alternative option I would be very worried about not signing another striker to push TP as I don’t think either Hugill or Idah are good enough if Teemu has a poor season or gets injured.