Six Pack

Michael Theoklitos mk 2

Unfortunately a positive signing (Rashida), it is followed by a very poor one.  Is there a worse signing than Angus Gunn ??!! I mean the signing of the most feeble goalkeeper in the top 2 divisions.

There are literally hundreds of goalkeepers out there that we could have signed but to my absolute horror - this guy gets back through the door ! His dad played well for us but sentimental signings like these are going to kill us !

Recall watching the highlights of Watford vs Stoke last season & Stoke could have won that game except for a certain keeper - has absolutely no strength whatsoever - caught the ball then gets knocked into the goal - strength is a prerequisite skill set for goalkeeper ! I was thinking  at the time "glad he's not playing for us now"

Watched the Southampton vs Leicester game when Leicester got their record away win - could have been anyone in the Southampton goal but no had to be him ! Yes the Southampton defence was poor but he didn't stop any - where are his shot stopping skills ?  - McGovern is at least a good shot stopper.  I thought at the time "glad he's not playing for us now"

Terrible terrible signing - just hope Krul doesn't get injured !

• Haha 1

Unfortunately some people have an unfortunate compulsion to publish posts that profess an expertise they unfortuantely don't have. Fortunately for us Webber and Farke know what they are doing.

• Like 9

With all due respect to your opinion - but this is absolute nonsense.

Angus Gunn did a superb job for us in the Championship (second highest number of saves made according to Michael Bailey's article on him) and his first season at Southampton had a lot to be admired.

To describe him as having "No strength whatsoever" is a really strange opinion. We saw plenty of examples in the championship season that shows otherwise.

Angus was close to the England set up when he joined Southampton for good reason. It clearly hasn't worked out for him down there, but get him back to where he was when he left Norwich and I think he'll prove an absolute bargain.

• Like 1

Gunn is an excellent signing. He has all the basic attributes and enormous potential. What we have is a track record of getting players to realise that potential through exceptional management. We will get the best out of him in the long term.

• Like 1

Here is the goal in question;

Gunn makes an initial save which Ben Foster described as 'World Class'. The ball bounced on the line, but not over it and then Sarr fouls Gunn to get the ball over the line. The ref apparently gave the goal as he thought the buzz on his goal line tech watch was from the original save, not the follow-up.

That being said, Gunn hasn't had the best of times since leaving Norwich and is definitely a bit of repair job for Farke. But the same was definitely true with Kurl when he arrived and Norwich managed to get him playing back to his best. Luckily Gunn won't be expected to play from day 1 in the Prem and Norwich can work with him to regain his confidence. 

He was brilliant when on loan at Norwich - getting onto the England bench (although on a slight technicality). If Norwich can bring out the best in him again they have just brought in a £15m keeper for £5m. 

• Like 10

Delighted he's back. Good back-up with the likelihood of growing in to Tim's role as time passes. He then will be under pressure from our up and coming keepers who will have matured on loan - effectively his experience has been gained, to a greater extent than our own loanees, at someone else's expense. Couldn't give a monkey's t*ss who his Dad is in this context, he cares for the club and so will be less likely to agitate if the process is slower than he hopes. If it doesn't work out everyone moves on without acrid criticism.

• Like 1

Absolute nonsense. Great to have him back and hopefully sorts out the goalkeeping position for a number of years. 

Certain sections of our fanbase seem to have a special reserve of uninformed vitriol for players who've come through our academy. I simply can't get my head around it.

• Like 1

If you think Gunn is a poor signing because of the 9-0 defeat then I think you have to think Rashica is a poor signing because this season he didn’t do as great as before. I saw a post on here recently that I think was related to the signing of Gunn and am I right in thinking the Saints got an early dismissal in that game? You also can’t blame the keeper for every goal a team concedes. I mean what’s the main role of the defence? - In my opinion to prevent the goalkeeper from having to make saves.

Although he’s going to be 2nd choice this season, Krul is now 33 with 3 years left when Gunn is only 25. As a result of this I think they’ve made a very good signing - another homegrown keeper, with PL experience, and the age to be able to replace our current number 1. With the signing of Krul it was just our pure luck that he was a free agent and was after play, not pay.

Edited by HazzaJet
  • Like 1

Terrible take, this OP.

Imagine being years into Webber's Norwich and doling out a 'sentimentality' trope.

I'm sure the OP isn't a Binner, but there's a real whiff of the ol' Sulo about this post.

Not sure if Six Pack watched the season Gunn was with us. He was terrific and a real character on the pitch, away at Sheffield Utd where we won 1-0 comes to mind, when he was winding up the home crowd no end. I'm sure Daniel would have loved to have kept him for the following seasons, but he was priced out of our market.  So to get him now, under a manager who plainly likes him and with Krul as the number one, is excellent and we now have a super strong GK set up. 

24 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Here is the goal in question;

Gunn makes an initial save which Ben Foster described as 'World Class'. The ball bounced on the line, but not over it and then Sarr fouls Gunn to get the ball over the line. The ref apparently gave the goal as he thought the buzz on his goal line tech watch was from the original save, not the follow-up.

That being said, Gunn hasn't had the best of times since leaving Norwich and is definitely a bit of repair job for Farke. But the same was definitely true with Kurl when he arrived and Norwich managed to get him playing back to his best. Luckily Gunn won't be expected to play from day 1 in the Prem and Norwich can work with him to regain his confidence. 

He was brilliant when on loan at Norwich - getting onto the England bench (although on a slight technicality). If Norwich can bring out the best in him again they have just brought in a £15m keeper for £5m. 

Slam dunk Bethnal! Unless Gunn uniquely among human beings is able to defy the laws of physics I fail to see how he could have resisted the force exerted by the clear foul.

14 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

If you think Gunn is a poor signing because of the 9-0 defeat then I think you have to think Rashica is a poor signing because he this season he didn’t do as great as before. I saw a post on here recently that I think was related to the signing of Gunn and am I right in thinking the Saints got an early dismissal in that game? Although he’s going to be 2nd choice this season, Krul is now 33 with 3 years left when Gunn is only 25. As a result of this I think they’ve made a very good signing - another homegrown keeper, with PL experience, and the age to be able to replace our current number 1. With the signing of Krul it was just our pure luck that he was a free agent and was after play, not pay.

BBC match report:

A red card for Saints' Alexandre Jankewitz after only two minutes triggered a complete collapse for the visitors, who were on the end of the same scoreline against Leicester City in October 2019.

It is only the third time a team has lost 9-0 in the Premier League, with United also beating Ipswich Town by that margin in 1995.

In fact they finished with nine men after an 87th minute penalty. I was watching with football pals on a boozy football weekend in Spain (yes, it was that long ago), and the barman couldn't understand why I was cheering on the losing keeper - it was of course to not let in more goals than Ipswich, but he'd never heard of Ipswich, he was too young to remember their successes.

Edited by crispeduk
simple writing error
  • Haha 1

I’m not particularly convinced by Angus but the OP is pant wetting of the highest order 💦💦💦

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

BBC match report:

A red card for Saints' Alexandre Jankewitz after only two minutes triggered a complete collapse for the visitors, who were on the end of the same scoreline against Leicester City in October 2019.

It is only the third time a team has lost 9-0 in the Premier League, with United also beating Ipswich Town by that margin in 1995.

In fact they finished with nine men after an 87th minute penalty. I was watching with football pals on a boozy football weekend in Spain (yes, it was that long ago), and the barman couldn't understand why I was cheering on the losing keeper - it was of course to not let in more goals than Ipswich, but he'd never heard of Ipswich, he was too old to remember their successes.

Thanks for that mate. Was certain I’d seen something saying that they did before, and I was right. Teams don’t always take advantage of red cards but I think the pressure instantly piled on Southampton as they were to be a man down for effectively the whole game, actually going two men down towards the end.

11 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I’m not particularly convinced by Angus but the OP is pant wetting of the highest order 💦💦💦

I have never seen it as a "whoopee" signing either and feel it is not clear cut for a few reasons.

Angus failed at Southampton, yes, but that happens. Nevertheless, the Saints want rid. Angus has made some notable bloomers (one at Carrow Road?), who hasn't?

£2.5m lacks truism however. It could soon escalate and do I recall £10m being involved eventually?

At the end of the day I am well enough programmed into the Webber-Farke approach and decision making qualities so accept the signing as being well-founded.

I did not happily read the comment on here defining Angus Gunn as "a ready made" replacement for Tim Krul, however,  when the latter's time is up. We are led to believe that we have three super young prospects on our books, Oxborough, Mair and Barden (esp.) I had assumed one of these would have been a ready made replacement and would have expected a few more seasons from Krul to boot.

However, should TK get injured game one, then I'm happy to have Angus Gunn "ready made."

Everyone has off days, and it wasn't just Gunn that was terrible. You win as a team and lose as a team. Farke and his staff have proved very good at developing players, Gunn will be no different

Wait, people are taking OP seriously?  Seems an obvious troll post to me?

"Absolute horror"?  About signing a goalkeeper who was close to our player of the season 3 years ago?  I tend to save my usage of 'absolute horror' for things like genocide or 9/11 etc.

"Is there a worse signing than Angus.."?  Yes.  Yes, there is.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Slam dunk Bethnal! Unless Gunn uniquely among human beings is able to defy the laws of physics I fail to see how he could have resisted the force exerted by the clear foul.

Slam dunk ??!! He needed to either have better bulk/upper body strength to resist the barge or the smarts to get rid of the ball on impact. Bethnal pointed out that the goal was given because the ref thought the original shot was over the line so he was not at fault for the goal but to me still showed he lacked strength and quick thinking at that crucial moment. A goalkeeper needs to have the strength of a brick wall and the flexibility/reactions of a cat ! If its just his confidence - Farke can fix that in 20 minutes. But it's more than that !

• Haha 1

I'm not going to get drawn into this ridiculous argument, but since you didn't ask my opinion, I'm going to give it anyway.

AG did well for us, many a player has succeeded here and not elsewhere and vice versa. If, and that's a big IF, there are ricks in his game, Farke will soon iron them out... I remember Krul being slated after his arrival and coming good, Pukki too not delivering initially, but the Farke hug bus got round and stroked and carressed them into players we wouldn't be without now...  

That's my three pence worth

51 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

but he'd never heard of Ipswich, he was too young to remember their successes.

So, in his 50s?

1 hour ago, Six Pack said:

Unfortunately a positive signing (Rashida), it is followed by a very poor one.  Is there a worse signing than Angus Gunn ??!! I mean the signing of the most feeble goalkeeper in the top 2 divisions.

There are literally hundreds of goalkeepers out there that we could have signed but to my absolute horror - this guy gets back through the door ! His dad played well for us but sentimental signings like these are going to kill us !

Recall watching the highlights of Watford vs Stoke last season & Stoke could have won that game except for a certain keeper - has absolutely no strength whatsoever - caught the ball then gets knocked into the goal - strength is a prerequisite skill set for goalkeeper ! I was thinking  at the time "glad he's not playing for us now"

Watched the Southampton vs Leicester game when Leicester got their record away win - could have been anyone in the Southampton goal but no had to be him ! Yes the Southampton defence was poor but he didn't stop any - where are his shot stopping skills ?  - McGovern is at least a good shot stopper.  I thought at the time "glad he's not playing for us now"

Terrible terrible signing - just hope Krul doesn't get injured !

Come on dude, having Gunn here is a great signing. Young, was on fringes of England sqauds, potential seen as city had him. Plus all the connections he has here. Plus knows farke and his style. Plus had a good season when with us. Plus he is happy to likely drop wages, come here and be number two with the thought of learning and pushing krul. All for 2.5m (ok potentially more) 

What more do you want?

3 minutes ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

OP...

"literally hundreds of goalkeepers out there that we could have signed".... can you literally name them?? or make it easier - name 10 of them (literally)..

got one ...... Scott Howie

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Slam dunk ??!! He needed to either have better bulk/upper body strength to resist the barge or the smarts to get rid of the ball on impact. Bethnal pointed out that the goal was given because the ref thought the original shot was over the line so he was not at fault for the goal but to me still showed he lacked strength and quick thinking at that crucial moment. A goalkeeper needs to have the strength of a brick wall and the flexibility/reactions of a cat ! If its just his confidence - Farke can fix that in 20 minutes. But it's more than that !

I refer you to the answer I gave before. Demonstrate to me a human being who is able to resist the force of a heavy individual crashing into him orthogonally and I'll introduce you to the first human being able to defy the laws of nature.