Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Think we'll pay anybody up?

From the bomb squad now that you have to register a player in our under 25 to use them if they are over 21? 

Drmic, Klose, Trybull, Leitner the obvious four.

But then you've got Sinani and Thompson who are over that threshold as well. 

Can't see us getting a fee for any of them, could you see us just paying a few of them off if we can't find a club to take them on loan and chip in a % of their wages? 

Trybull did OK at Blackburn in spells without pulling up any trees, so might get some further interest from a lesser Champs side on loan? Or perhaps continuing to play semi regularly might tempt a German side into making a move? And the club that loaned Drmic might want him back as he found a bit of form chipped in with a few goals towards the end of the loan I think.

But Leitner either had no interest in going out on loan or simply didn't have any takers? And that Sinani signing feels very odd now that he has flopped in the Belgian league when you realise that he's 24!! 

Of the bunch, perhaps only Klose might be handy as say 5th choice centre back for an absolute emergency or to go and get kicked in the League Cup away to Carlisle if we fail to land anybody at all in that position? (e.g. Ajer). 

love that role for Klose 😆

I reckon Sinani will find a move for a nominal fee but the others will clearly be paid up you'd think... Would hope Trybull will get himself a decent move somewhere at least

I'd keep them all for the cups if we're not able to get rid of them. Might put them in the shop window.

They're all foreign so if a player has no market value chances are someone in their home nation somewhere n the pyramid will be interested in taking them, the problem is wages. None of them will make what they make here so it depends on the cut and their desire to actually play football. Wont their wages have gone up with promotion too?

Thompson is the one who surprises me, seems to have been around for ages. Must be well liked for us to not have cut our losses ages ago.

O/T but I wonder what Sinani thinks. I believe he thought be'd be playing last season with Buendia off, but then Buendia stayed and he was shipped out on loan. Buendia gone but now the level is Premier League not Championship and Rashica has been brought in. Where does he stand?

25 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Thompson is the one who surprises me, seems to have been around for ages. Must be well liked for us to not have cut our losses ages ago.

O/T but I wonder what Sinani thinks. I believe he thought be'd be playing last season with Buendia off, but then Buendia stayed and he was shipped out on loan. Buendia gone but now the level is Premier League not Championship and Rashica has been brought in. Where does he stand?

I personally doubt that Sinani was ever going to be the Buendia replacement, if we'd sold him we'd have spent money replacing. 

Connor Southwell said he thinks Sinani may be sent out for a Championship loan, and I think he’s right. The other 4 all have one year left on their contracts and although I can’t see us getting anything for them I reckon we’d happily let them all go, although like you said, I do believe there’s a slight possibility Klose might be kept as an emergency CB. If we get an offer for Stiepermann, I believe he may very well go as he also only has 1 year left and although he was brilliant in our last promotion season, he seems to have fallen apart ever since.

Placheta has only been here for one year and this season was behind Todd and Emi. Sinani has also only been here one year and this season was out on loan so is yet to make a first team appearance. As a result of this I think it’s too early to judge them.

37 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd keep them all for the cups if we're not able to get rid of them. Might put them in the shop window.

How is that going to work though, how do you keep them match fit? 

You can only play 3 over aged players in U23 games I believe, and often one of them will be Gunn or Barden, then first team players who are stuck on the bench or coming back from injury (e.g. you'd give Bryam and Placheta the odd run out).

You wouldn't want to keep giving Leitner and Drmic U23 games, as a prospect could be taking that shirt and developing.

And who would they train with? We literally banished Leitner back to Germany I believe, and Drmic back to Switzerland, you wouldn't want those people turning up every day training with the first team when they aren't even in the 25, and it would be difficult to work with such a bloated first team squad in training.

And would the U23's really want them floating around? Not sure I'd want them to use Leitner or Drmic as role models personally. 

Perhaps if a player is seen as a mature head with coaching career potential then you'd be happy to have them advising and mentoring U23's, so Klose would likely tick that box as a former International and captain and all round respected guy... you'd be happy to have him round your U23s.

But if Leitner and Drmic were banished due to attitude, then for me we'd be telling them to find a club and then just settling their contracts if they fail. 

Thompson will probably go back to MK Dons I should imagine, perhaps that might be a good idea for Sinani as well? If he looks too good for that level then bring him back in January and send him back out to the level above, the Championship. He's come from a semi-pro league and has just been relegated in Belgium so MK Dons should not be considered beneath him. 

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

How is that going to work though, how do you keep them match fit? 

You can only play 3 over aged players in U23 games I believe, and often one of them will be Gunn or Barden, then first team players who are stuck on the bench or coming back from injury (e.g. you'd give Bryam and Placheta the odd run out).

You wouldn't want to keep giving Leitner and Drmic U23 games, as a prospect could be taking that shirt and developing.

And who would they train with? We literally banished Leitner back to Germany I believe, and Drmic back to Switzerland, you wouldn't want those people turning up every day training with the first team when they aren't even in the 25, and it would be difficult to work with such a bloated first team squad in training.

And would the U23's really want them floating around? Not sure I'd want them to use Leitner or Drmic as role models personally. 

Perhaps if a player is seen as a mature head with coaching career potential then you'd be happy to have them advising and mentoring U23's, so Klose would likely tick that box as a former International and captain and all round respected guy... you'd be happy to have him round your U23s.

But if Leitner and Drmic were banished due to attitude, then for me we'd be telling them to find a club and then just settling their contracts if they fail. 

Thompson will probably go back to MK Dons I should imagine, perhaps that might be a good idea for Sinani as well? If he looks too good for that level then bring him back in January and send him back out to the level above, the Championship. He's come from a semi-pro league and has just been relegated in Belgium so MK Dons should not be considered beneath him. 

Barden is 20

4 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Barden is 20

And Gunn will be on the bench behind Krul, certainly not in the U23's...

Norwich stopped playing Drmic in the U23s last season as they didn’t want him blocking the way for a young player to get minutes, so doubt any of the frozen out players will get game time there (apart from maybe a few goes during the window to perform in front of scouts). 

Only have to look at the way Norwich completely froze those guys out last season, and the fact they are bringing in a temporary coach this summer to work with them separately, to see there is no way back at Norwich.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Leitner doesn’t go anywhere and retires at the end of his contract. He is showing all the signs of being a footballer who doesn’t really like playing football. 

Can’t see Norwich terminating their contracts, unless the players agree to waive a decent chunk of their wages. Trybull might as he seems keen to keep playing but with their last chances of getting into the Swiss squad now gone Klose and Drmic might be harder to shift. 

9 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Thompson, like Sean Raggett and Morris has probably bought in a decent chunk of loan fees over the years. An odd one, like Byram really, clearly has the talent but can't seem to stay fit. I imagine we'll see a few mutual terminations if players want to go on and play. It's always disappointing to see players like Leitner doing nothing and taking money, but they'll need to lower their demands to get new clubs.

Sinnani was never going to be Buendia's direct replacement but he is reasonably rated. Last I heard he was impressing but not being considered for the first team, age is against him a bit now I guess. Wonder if he's ahead of Josh Martin who is a similar talent

13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

and the fact they are bringing in a temporary coach this summer to work with them separately, to see there is no way back at Norwich.

Whaaaa? I didn't know that. It's a clever move if that's true. Focus on the outsiders and see if we can get them up to a level that'll appeal for other clubs so we can cash in as much as we can.

Edited by Michael Starr

46 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Whaaaa? I didn't know that. It's a clever move if that's true. Focus on the outsiders and see if we can get them up to a level that'll appeal for other clubs so we can cash in as much as we can.

Not so much focusing on them, just having them train completely separately to the main group so they don't bring any negativity with them. Farke is pretty keen on completely freezing players out once he's decided they aren't for him.

The fact Leitner was living in Germany all last season despite being a Norwich player and not on loan shows that the club are quite happy to cut their losses on these guys rather than even attempt to reintegrate them.

2 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

And Gunn will be on the bench behind Krul, certainly not in the U23's...

Oh right, because first team bench players never play u23 games? 

Nyland, Onel and Stiepermann were playing for the U23s to build match fitness whilst also being on the bench for the first team. Anybody who has paid any attention at all to the U23s would know this. 

You are allowed three over aged players, and they won't be people like Leitner and Drmic who won't be registered in the squad and aren't wanted. It will be people like Byram, Rupp, Onel. 

Why use a space keeping deadwood fit, why give Leitner minutes for the U23s if you have to take them off Flynn Clarke? Makes no sense at all, stupid idea. 

11 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Sinani was always a punt by Norwich who I don't think ever believed he'd play in the first team last season. His agent offered him to pretty much every Championship team and Norwich bit, I suspect seeing a player that they could loan out and then flip for a profit. 

They'll look to loan him to a Championship team this season, hoping he'll have a good season and then they might be able to sell him for a couple of million and make a good profit. He was certainly never seen as someone who could replace Buendia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Not so much focusing on them, just having them train completely separately to the main group so they don't bring any negativity with them. Farke is pretty keen on completely freezing players out once he's decided they aren't for him.

The fact Leitner was living in Germany all last season despite being a Norwich player and not on loan shows that the club are quite happy to cut their losses on these guys rather than even attempt to reintegrate them.

I saw in an interview with Jonathan Tomkinson how much he learned from playing with Drmic. The U23's started the season really well, Omotoye took a big step forward. It must be a great help to the youngsters to play with the more experienced professionals - perhaps more than being loaned to a club where they're not getting any game time. 

I understand that playing Drmic, Leitner etc. takes playing time away from the very young U23 players but it might help if we progressed in knock out tournaments. 

I don't know what these players have done but I would think that they are sensible enough to act in a professional manner. The ironic thing is that they are now being monitored by somebody who tried to physically attack one of our fans. 

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Oh right, because first team bench players never play u23 games? 

Nyland, Onel and Stiepermann were playing for the U23s to build match fitness whilst also being on the bench for the first team. Anybody who has paid any attention at all to the U23s would know this. 

You are allowed three over aged players, and they won't be people like Leitner and Drmic who won't be registered in the squad and aren't wanted. It will be people like Byram, Rupp, Onel. 

Why use a space keeping deadwood fit, why give Leitner minutes for the U23s if you have to take them off Flynn Clarke? Makes no sense at all, stupid idea. 

I think you've missed my point TVB.

We have a number of very promising young keepers who desperately need playing time to help develop, and unless they're all getting loaned out, at least 1 of them will likely be the primary keeper for the U23's, as there's FAR more likelihood of outfield players needing to regain fitness than a 2nd choice keeper.

This isn't to say that Gunn won't ever play U23 games, but there''s way more chance that players like Barden will be used there than Gunn (or even Krul for that matter), not to mention there's also McGovern to fit into the mix.