cambridgeshire canary

If make all our rumored signings how is this for an 11?

11.png

Seems pretty solid to me, although the midfield might be somewhat overrun, and the lack of a number 10 could cause some issues when it comes to Pukki and the balls through to him, although I'm sure both Cantwell and Rashica could drift more into the middle with both Aarons and Giannoulis becoming more attacking wingbacks.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I think I'd prefer:

Pukki

Cantwell Rashica Dowell

Gilmore Skipp

Dimi Gibson Hanley Max

Krul

Any of Kenny / Sorenson / Ajer might be better options than the players I've put there. If we do want to go for a 4231 we look light at the front still. I can't see any of our current squad properly completing with any of that front 4

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

11.png

Seems pretty solid to me, although the midfield might be somewhat overrun, and the lack of a number 10 could cause some issues when it comes to Pukki and the balls through to him, although I'm sure both Cantwell and Rashica could drift more into the middle with both Aarons and Giannoulis becoming more attacking wingbacks.

Billy Gilmour has a fantastic through ball on him, so I wouldn’t worry too much - there’s still a lot of creativity in that side 👍

Is it stronger than the team we put out against Man City at Carrow Rd last time around? You’d have to say yes!

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

11.png

That doesn't look bad, and I'd say the "lack" of a number 10 should theoretically be less of a worry if you've three centre-halves, two of which are very much progressive ball-players. Number 10 is all about finding pockets of space to work in, and if you have two extremely energetic wing-backs, they should keep the opposition defensive line spread out and theoretically enable Cantwell / Rashica to have a couple of yards more space.

Can see Placheta as a direct replacement for Giannoulis in this line-up as well. Which I'm not sure I like... I actually think they could make quite the attacking partnership down the left with all that pace.

McLean, Rupp and Sorensen won't like this at all.

I think we can be equally as strong defensively playing 2 DMs. I would be surprised if Farke changes the system after 3 seasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think we can be equally as strong defensively playing 2 DMs. I would be surprised if Farke changes the system after 3 seasons.

2nd season was a pretty abject failure playing the system though. We tried playing our way, dealing with significant injuries to be fair, but it didn’t work. We need to be harder to beat (obviously). 

8 hours ago, WD40 said:

2nd season was a pretty abject failure playing the system though. We tried playing our way, dealing with significant injuries to be fair, but it didn’t work. We need to be harder to beat (obviously). 

Which was what we built our foundations on last season and weirdly enough what England have gone onto do in the euros 

We will be fine 

I just don’t see Aaron’s being here at the end of this window unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

Looks ok but I really don't think we have a chance of staying up with Pukki as our main no 9

Wouldn't go that far but the formation above won't suit a Pukki type striker who thrives on through balls, not crosses from wingbacks.

20 hours ago, Yellow and Green Man said:

I think I'd prefer:

Pukki

Cantwell Rashica Dowell

Gilmore Skipp

Dimi Gibson Hanley Max

Krul

Any of Kenny / Sorenson / Ajer might be better options than the players I've put there. If we do want to go for a 4231 we look light at the front still. I can't see any of our current squad properly completing with any of that front 4

This looks solid to me, I think getting Skipp back is hugely important as we look much weaker in the middle if we replace him with McLean or Sorensen

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Wouldn't go that far but the formation above won't suit a Pukki type striker who thrives on through balls, not crosses from wingbacks.

Wingbacks don't have to cross the ball - Norwich effectively used Dimi and Max as wingbacks in the Championship and they didn't make loads of crosses. What they do offer though is the width to attack, which would allow Cantwell and Rashica to come in more narrow, positions where both of them are more dangerous. 

That being said, to get the best from Pukki he needs through balls and Cantwell and Rashica aren't big on making through ball passes - which is why I don't think we'll see much use of a back 3 as it means losing a creative player to set up Pukki.

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Wingbacks don't have to cross the ball - Norwich effectively used Dimi and Max as wingbacks in the Championship and they didn't make loads of crosses. What they do offer though is the width to attack, which would allow Cantwell and Rashica to come in more narrow, positions where both of them are more dangerous. 

That being said, to get the best from Pukki he needs through balls and Cantwell and Rashica aren't big on making through ball passes - which is why I don't think we'll see much use of a back 3 as it means losing a creative player to set up Pukki.

Totally agree with the first paragraph, but at the same time, low crosses often see Pukki do well too, particularly with that late diagonal run he makes to the front post anticipating a low skidder.

Also worth nothing that if we're looking to evolve in a post-Buendia team, we might set up to be a bit less predictable (Rashica looks like he really could help here with his dribbling at pace), rather than "give it Emi and see if he finds a through ball". Giannoulis certainly has caused trouble when hitting bye-lines, his assist against Stoke not long after he ballsed up with that ball across his box was a prime example.

There's more onus on your box-to-box midfielder to hit a through ball if the wing-backs aren't hitting bye-lines.

56 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

Looks ok but I really don't think we have a chance of staying up with Pukki as our main no 9

The same player who scored a hat-trick against Newcastle the last time City were in the Premier League?

ITFC supporters have always been very jealous of Teemu Pukki as they haven't had a decent striker for years and years.

Whilst our player was plying his trade for his country in the Euros where was James Norwood? In the pub, the tattoo parlour or playing with other kids on Twitter?

Edited by BroadstairsR

9 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Which was what we built our foundations on last season and weirdly enough what England have gone onto do in the euros 

We will be fine 

Eh? It was one of the weakest championships in a while (I would say) and England have better players. 

Not saying the system can’t work it just got found out comprehensively against relatively stronger opposition last time in prem. 

1 hour ago, urdie_Canary said:

This is nonsense.

Brighton stayed up and their best striker and top goalscorer in Maupay scored 8 goals.

Wolves stayed up with Neto only getting 5 goals and joint top scorer for them.

There are tons of other examples. Pukki is coming back in off a 26 goal Championship season having scored 11 in the prem the season before.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

The same player who scored a hat-trick against Newcastle the last time City were in the Premier League?

ITFC supporters have always been very jealous of Teemu Pukki as they haven't had a decent striker for years and years.

Whilst our player was plying his trade for his country in the Euros where was James Norwood? In the pub, the tattoo parlour or playing with other kids on Twitter?

There are some real oddballs on here. what on earth are you waffling on about. 

Yes he scored a hattrick, but taking the emotional part of it away, because we all love Pukki at Norwich, he is not good enough to keep us up. He looked really jaded at the euros, and towards the end of last season. Trust me, I hope I am wrong, but that is just my feeling from watching him of late. 

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

This is nonsense.

Brighton stayed up and their best striker and top goalscorer in Maupay scored 8 goals.

Wolves stayed up with Neto only getting 5 goals and joint top scorer for them.

There are tons of other examples. Pukki is coming back in off a 26 goal Championship season having scored 11 in the prem the season before.

Its not nonsense at all.

Wolves are incomparable to us. Moutinho and Neves in the midfield. We have Mclean and Rupp. The reason they can get away with out a prolific striker is because they have a better all round team and a better defence, much like Brighton, one of the best defences in the league, Bissouma in the middle etc etc.

I cant imagine we will have a defence as solid as those 2 teams or be as potent going forward, but obviously I hope I am wrong. 

Remember some of these players flopped the last time we played premier league football. 

6 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

Yes he scored a hattrick, but taking the emotional part of it away, because we all love Pukki at Norwich, he is not good enough to keep us up. He looked really jaded at the euros, and towards the end of last season. Trust me, I hope I am wrong, but that is just my feeling from watching him of late. 

Perhaps if you had added some depth to your original comment, rather than just proffer a one sentenced opinion with no back up, then the binner suspicion might not have been on.

Did you watch the last Finnish game with the sound off then? The reporter repeatedly mentioned the fact that Pukki's performance was severely handicapped by the ankle injury he was carrying.

Thanks for the insult, btw.   

Edited by BroadstairsR

Three centre backs is very conservative and not really in keeping with our style. Maybe an option against top 6 teams but I'd be very disappointed if we played that way too often. Skipp played a highly defensive role anyway, regularly dropping into the back line - usually to cover an absent fullback.

If you lose the number 10 then you easily get outnumbered in midfield and struggle to find an out ball. The essence of our game is to tear through teams in the transition phase where we win the ball and exploit the spaces. While much of our play went through Emi, that was only possible because he was able to find space in the midfield. A number 10 is essential in creating that space by giving the opposition defenders (and DMs) something else to worry about.

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Perhaps if you had added some depth to your original comment, rather than just proffer a one sentenced opinion with no back up, then the binner suspicion might not have been on.

Did you watch the last Finnish game with the sound off then? The reporter repeatedly mentioned the fact that Pukki's performance was severely handicapped by the ankle injury he was carrying.

Thanks for the insult, btw.   

So because I didn't write a few paragraphs to explain what I mean, I'm accused of being a scummer,  that makes total sense..... are you paranoid? 

Re Pukki, Yes I was aware of that, it cant be great for him in the long run playing through it.

Fair enough if you think Pukki's goals will keep us up, I cant see how anyone can think that, even more so with the partnership with Buendia gone. 

A paranoid oddball now.

Strange that you find it necessary to reply to my postings.

Where did I say that I thought Pukki's goals would keep us up? For one, he is more than just a goal-scoring "centre forward" and for a second we have more than one goalscorer in the team.

I believe we have just signed another this very week.

Read Hoggy's post again, it might make things a bit clearer for you.

22 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

11.png

I think this may have to be a 10 now, Cambridge 😉😂

1 hour ago, urdie_Canary said:

You could be right of course, but I’m not worried about Pukki in the slightest - he’s just come off the back of scoring a hatful in the Championship again, but he is clearly not quite 100% which *logically* is down to no other reason than Finland rushing him back from injury for the Euro’s, and Teemu not having had a break for over 2 years.

He is a quality off the shoulder striker, scoring 11 goals in his first 18 games in the Premier League prior to injury (a fantastic return comparable to his Championship exploits), and quite frankly, what this guy needs right now is a bloody good rest and a later return to pre season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

You could be right of course, but I’m not worried about Pukki in the slightest - he’s just come off the back of scoring a hatful in the Championship again, but he is clearly not quite 100% which *logically* is down to no other reason than Finland rushing him back from injury for the Euro’s, and Teemu not having had a break for over 2 years.

He is a quality off the shoulder striker, scoring 11 goals in his first 18 games in the Premier League prior to injury (a fantastic return comparable to his Championship exploits), and quite frankly, what this guy needs right now is a bloody good rest and a later return to pre season.

Back of the net, that bit in bold. Pukki knows where the net is. My concern would be if the defence and midfield hold up. As Liverpool amply demonstrated last season, when you lose a pile of centre-halves and start bringing defensive midfielders into defence and render your midfield unbalanced as a result, even your attackers can misfire.

Remember, they were missing three centre-halves and one just happened to be their talisman in van Dijk. Then they lost six home games on the spin - as champions of England the season before and largely the same team. No wonder we struggled in the Premier League as a promoted side with the same fundamental loss of centre-halves.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Back of the net, that bit in bold. Pukki knows where the net is. My concern would be if the defence and midfield hold up. As Liverpool amply demonstrated last season, when you lose a pile of centre-halves and start bringing defensive midfielders into defence and render your midfield unbalanced as a result, even your attackers can misfire.

Remember, they were missing three centre-halves and one just happened to be their talisman in van Dijk. Then they lost six home games on the spin - as champions of England the season before and largely the same team. No wonder we struggled in the Premier League as a promoted side with the same fundamental loss of centre-halves.

What makes me laugh, Gunny, is that when Liverpool had all these injuries and were losing frequently, the pundits and fans were all like ‘it’s a real tragedy, and this is why they’re performing so badly, they’re never going to pick up the results they normally would in these circumstances’.

But no, when we had exactly the same issues, if not worse, no one even mentioned this as a reason why we were massively hindered and were ultimately relegated (other than *most* of us City supporters of course!). If Pukki had stayed fit for that season, we WOULD have stayed up as he was on for 22 - 25 goals that season had he have maintained his goal scoring record in that league thus far.

Absolute joke! But poor Liverpool, eh?

Edited by Alex Moss

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

What makes me laugh, Gunny, is that when Liverpool had all these injuries and were losing frequently, the pundits and fans were all like ‘it’s a real tragedy, and this is why they’re performing so badly, they’re never going to pick up the results they normally would in these circumstances’.

But no, when we had exactly the same issues, if not worse, no one even mentioned this as a reason why we were massively hindered and were ultimately relegated (other than *most* of us City supporters of course!). If Pukki had stayed for that season, we WOULD have stayed up as he was on for 22 - 25 goals that season had he have maintained his goal scoring record in that league thus far.

Absolute joke! But poor Liverpool, eh?

Not to mention, quite a few on here have looked at our record low points score and made the mistake of missing out such a concentrated injury list in their considerations. Yes, we were dreadful after Project Restart, but it took a terrible loss of centre-halves for well over half the season (and did we play more than eight League games with two fully match fit, attuned centre-halves? Klose clearly was still short of match fitness, if not indeed still slightly injured, but came out to work his way back into shape) and a pandemic to throw the team completely off. And that was a team with three of its best back four under 23.

I wouldn't say with certainty that we would have stayed up if we'd had a less concentrated injury list, and I don't think Pukki would have got 22-25 goals, as clubs probably would have worked us out a bit anyway. What I am sure of, is that we would have put up a heck of a fight, and that was with a very callow team and more open way of playing.

If Idah, Placheta and Sorensen all come on, and we get one more DM and one more centre-half, I think we can stay up.

The reality is Pukki has looked tired but that's clearly due to him having very little rest between a long championship campaign and the Euros and also carrying an injury. I'm sure he wanted to compete in the Euros and probably forced himself to be fit earlier than expected. Also Pukki is now getting on a bit, so we do need competition in this department and for me personally this need to be a striker, rather than the likes of someone like Rashica who can play there if necessary. To assume that Pukki will be able to carry most of the goal burden next season is naïve and although other players will step in on that front, we do need another body up front as I far Hugill/Adah wont be clinical enough.

6 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

The reality is Pukki has looked tired but that's clearly due to him having very little rest between a long championship campaign and the Euros and also carrying an injury. I'm sure he wanted to compete in the Euros and probably forced himself to be fit earlier than expected. Also Pukki is now getting on a bit, so we do need competition in this department and for me personally this need to be a striker, rather than the likes of someone like Rashica who can play there if necessary. To assume that Pukki will be able to carry most of the goal burden next season is naïve and although other players will step in on that front, we do need another body up front as I far Hugill/Adah wont be clinical enough.

Don’t think anyone would question we need another quality striker, but if we’re talking about Pukki himself, then yes the guy needs a massive rest, a chance to get fully fit and time to sufficiently recharge his batteries.

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not to mention, quite a few on here have looked at our record low points score and made the mistake of missing out such a concentrated injury list in their considerations.

Calling a spade a spade, there was only a certain section that refused to acknowledge the injury crisis. Those that were angry we didn’t spend considerably more in that seasons transfer windows. Because had we had a fit Grant Hanley, Teemu Pukki blah blah blah then that seasons spending may well have proven to be irrelevant, and that would therefore have defeated their point which they know full well. I have no doubt we would have got those extra few points to clinch safety had this have been the case however. But I’m not complaining how things have worked out!