Bradwell canary

Express today, Max and Skipp

If it meant us getting Skippy permanently I would probably entertain the option. Max has been brilliant for us but will inevitably leave at some point, and I feel he’d be easier to replace than Skipp 

If there is one player who has earnt his move on to a bigger club than young Max.

Has been nothing but professional right through all the last few years. Very much like Godfrey.

I just  cant see Skippy coming back, same as this Gilmore chat flying about.

I think City should bite Spurs hands off for this deal. To land such a talented player at such a young age plus cash is a no brainer.

46 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I can see a loan deal for Skipp & cash in return for Max but I just can’t see Spurs selling Skipp at the moment.

Having said this, my only concern about Skipp in the Prem is physical strength, the midfielders for most Prem teams are just physically awesome nowadays !

I agree, Bob. Skipp was fantastic in the Championship but it remains to be seen if he’s as effective week in week out at Premier League level, I don’t think it’s a given. But that said, I’d love to see him back!

2 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Every year the Express runs a headline story that the winter is going to be the hardest on record. By the law of averages they'll get it right one time, but I can't see this happening

At least once a year back in the 1950s and 1960s the Express would world-exclusive 'find' Martin Bormann, alive and living in some South American country, and a different one each time, of course. Only finally stopped in the '70s when it was discovered that Bormann had been killed in 1945, having never left Berlin.

Yesterday I was reading how Spurs would consider it a good deal if they got Max for £20 million plus a further year loan of Skipp to us . No way are we getting Skipp on a permanent plus money .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, City 101 said:

Yesterday I was reading how Spurs would consider it a good deal if they got Max for £20 million plus a further year loan of Skipp to us . No way are we getting Skipp on a permanent plus money .

And no way are we paying £10mil+ on a loan deal either!

22 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

At least once a year back in the 1950s and 1960s the Express would world-exclusive 'find' Martin Bormann, alive and living in some South American country, and a different one each time, of course. Only finally stopped in the '70s when it was discovered that Bormann had been killed in 1945, having never left Berlin.

Then they just reprinted the stories with lord Lucan instead!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Indeed

I wonder what Spurs value Skipp at ? Can’t have it both ways our young talent is worth 10’s of millions and the same level of talent from another club is only worth 1/2. 

You can. Especially when one has almost three times the number of appearances and a third of those were in the premier league.

Skipp is good, but I would say absolute max of £15m. One good season in the championship is not enough to ensure that he is a dead cert premier league player. With Aarons, there is enough there now to know that he is a top end Championship player at the very least. He held his own two seasons ago in the PL, though still had a lot to learn and yet he is still only 21.

Aarons is more likely to start for Spurs than Skipp is. Their valuations are and should be quite far apart. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lessingham Canary said:

Bogle may be incoming, so potentially a replacement for Max, don't want to lose Max but think he will be gone this summer.

Bogle has been ruled out. 

• Like 1

Max in return for Skipp plus cash is indeed a great deal for everyone ......... but Skipp.

He is a boyhood Spurs fan has been with them as a kid. I know he was excellent for us but that doesn't mean he wants to come here permanently. Realistically he gets one season in the EPL, then what?

I think Ollie might be open to a loan deal but surely his sights are still on Spurs. More likely Spurs will land Max but at less than £30m with Skipp coming here on loan.

I think we all know Skipp would love to play for Spurs long term but he needs to consider short term deal. The swap plus cash makes sense for all parties but maybe with Spurs having the first option to buy back? Perhaps even with an agreed price of say £40m?

Yellow and Green glasses off for a second.

Valuing both players, I wouldn't put them far apart. Max has EPL experience, and two successful championship campaigns. Skipp has limited EPL experience, and one successful championship campaign. However, a central midfield player will nearly always command a higher fee than a right back. And just look how good he was last season - far more important to us than Max. 

If we got any fee plus Skipp, that would represent a cracking deal IMO, so good i don't think it will happen. 

Absolutely no way Spurs are going to part £20 million plus Skipp for Max, that's for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Valuing both players, I wouldn't put them far apart. Max has EPL experience, and two successful championship campaigns. Skipp has limited EPL experience, and one successful championship campaign. However, a central midfield player will nearly always command a higher fee than a right back. And just look how good he was last season - far more important to us than Max. 

If we got any fee plus Skipp, that would represent a cracking deal IMO, so good i don't think it will happen. 

Absolutely no way Spurs are going to part £20 million plus Skipp for Max, that's for sure. 

Agreed. If a Skipp swap with Aarons was on (and I don't believe for one second it is, however much I would love to see it), I suspect we'd be lucky to get much more than a few million and even that would make it a remarkable deal I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

There's a lot in that, but to describe Max as just a right back is unfair. He is a wing-back of proven talent and, as such, is capable of causing more goals than a defensive central midfield player.

That's valuable.

Both have been exceptional in their roles whilst playing for City, Max moreso, imo.

Edited by BroadstairsR

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Seems like a pretty likely solution to me. With Brandon Williams then coming in on loan, and still some spare cash to put towards others such as a striker.

Exactly what I was thinking Alex. If Max did go and we got Skipp plus cash it means that's a permanent signing and we can look into another domestic loan. 

7 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

This. Lifelong Spurs fan, as is his family, and he’s been with them since he was a boy.

Yes, but look at Angus, was with us from being very young, his dad is a club legend here, but he was still willing to move to other clubs for his career, which is also why he's back with us.

Skipp may well decide he wants to hold on, see who the new manager is and IF he can force his way into their plans, but they're not exactly know for giving a lot of youth players extended pitch time, and there's a clear argument that he'd be better getting 40+ games for us than maybe a handful at Spurs if he's lucky.

As suggested, a potential buy-back clause would arguably work for both sides if it was an option, but boyhood club or not, no player wants to be sat on a bench for extended periods when you could be getting regular matches at another side in the same league, whilst enhancing your profile in the process...

I don’t see why if Skipp knows Norwich want to take him on loan for another year why he’d agree to a permanent. A year of PL football to prove he can make it at Spurs and if next summer it doesn’t look like he’ll get in the first team move then. The only way I can see a permanent is if Spurs tell him he doesn’t have a future there which seems extremely unlikely.

I’d love a permanent deal but I just can’t see why any of the three parties involved would want to. Skipp could just get a loan, Spurs won’t want to lose such a prospect and Norwich won’t want to put so much money into one transfer.

• Like 1

I dont see why a Skipp loan deal should at all be part of any deal for Aarons.

If Spurs arent sure Skipp can step into their first team yet and thinks he needs more development, then we are the perfect place to develop their player/asset. He'd play Premier League football every week with in a team he's already assimilated into so would hit the ground running. We'd be doing them a favour developing their player, they shouldnt act like they're doing us a favour - any such agreement would be mutually beneficial, so should be neutral in loan terms.

Why accept a lesser fee for Aarons? Skipp is by no means irreplaceable and we have money to buy a permanent player rather than a stop gap.

Skipp's return makes sense all-round, it shouldnt be a bargaining chip for Aarons on the cheap

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

While I absolutely accept the importance of Skipp's role in shoring up central midfield and protecting the defence, I think people are also underestimating the importance & reliability of Max in the team. Does he ever have a bad day? We take him for granted. He had a great understanding with Emi & regularly gets involved up the top end of the pitch too. He would be difficult to replace. 

Emi is gone, it looks unlikely Skipp is coming back and then Max might be off too. That's a huge amount of talent to rip out of the team. I also think we might be taking a big gamble if we rely so heavily on Teemu to do the business again, backed up by Idah & Hugill. I don't think that'll be enough if that's what we go with up top. Early days in the window of course. 

I like the Gunn & Rashica signings & I like the sound of bringing in Gilmour & Ajer too if those murmurs come to fruition. All very interesting.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Well b back said:

Indeed

I wonder what Spurs value Skipp at ? Can’t have it both ways our young talent is worth 10’s of millions and the same level of talent from another club is only worth 1/2. 

Suspect it will depend whether Man City meet the asking price for Kane.

Levy won't sell him on the cheap, but Kane has hardly impressed at the Euros has he.

Then his new manager will be asking for some sort of transfer budget. 

If Spurs do end up being pretty desperate to flog off some squad players then I like the look of Rodon as well.

Call it £10m cash + Rodon + Skipp for Aarons and that will do, thanks Spurs! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

15 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Presumably, given the editorial leanings of the Express, in the hope that he could come back and lead Germany?

• Haha 1

I'm not too fussed if Max goes, yes I think he is a fantastic player and if we were an established premier league side id be gutted, but do we need a £35,000,000 full back? Probably not.

I just feel its a position that elite clubs need to fill with a complete machine, its one of the areas that sets them apart. That basically explains his value. However for us, we cant get the best out of him in the PL because the spine of the team is too weak, so he is essentially a wasted asset. 

I dont believe for a second that a part exchange for Skipp is on, but in theory it would be fine by me.

13 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

Yes, but look at Angus, was with us from being very young, his dad is a club legend here, but he was still willing to move to other clubs for his career, which is also why he's back with us.

Skipp may well decide he wants to hold on, see who the new manager is and IF he can force his way into their plans, but they're not exactly know for giving a lot of youth players extended pitch time, and there's a clear argument that he'd be better getting 40+ games for us than maybe a handful at Spurs if he's lucky.

As suggested, a potential buy-back clause would arguably work for both sides if it was an option, but boyhood club or not, no player wants to be sat on a bench for extended periods when you could be getting regular matches at another side in the same league, whilst enhancing your profile in the process...

Would that have been Angus’s decision ultimately or more influenced by his father. He was a young teen at the time and wasn’t it soon after Brian got the sack here? 

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Suspect it will depend whether Man City meet the asking price for Kane.

Levy won't sell him on the cheap, but Kane has hardly impressed at the Euros has he.

Then his new manager will be asking for some sort of transfer budget. 

If Spurs do end up being pretty desperate to flog off some squad players then I like the look of Rodon as well.

Call it £10m cash + Rodon + Skipp for Aarons and that will do, thanks Spurs! 

Kane doesn't strike me as a player that would fit in well with a Man city type side. He's always struck me as a player who is either very good or very ordinary, with no half measures of being good even when he's not scoring.  All strikers have times when they are not scoring, but give lots to the team in other ways, which is what Man city will need, but I don't see that with Kane. Probably totally wrong (as usual) but at prices being quoted, doesn't seem a good move to me. Can see him staying at Spurs.

14 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

There's a lot in that, but to describe Max as just a right back is unfair. He is a wing-back of proven talent and, as such, is capable of causing more goals than a defensive central midfield player.

That's valuable.

Both have been exceptional in their roles whilst playing for City, Max moreso, imo.

Very much this.

I believe he has a lot of chances created to his name, more than any other fullback in the Championship in fact.

Midfielders can achieve more in general, but not typically defensive midfielders.

Examples - Matic cost Chelsea £21m to resign him from Benfica as a 26 year old in 2014. 

If we're being brutally honest here, what costs money is goals. Attacking full backs / wing backs cost more money and are more desirable than those that are more defensive. Defensive midfielders that can pop up with goals and assists are more expensive than those who don't.

This is why Kante is more valuable than someone like Tettey ever was. If Tettey was chipping in with 5+ goals a season and 10 assists or something, he wouldn't have been with us as long as he was. And that was probably the main reason we could get the fee we did for Bradley Johnson as he knew where the net was.

Aarons is valued at around £35m if rumours are to be believed. There is simply no way that Skipp is worth that amount, as good as he is, and as good as he was for us, I think people are still overblowing what one season as a championship regular means in terms of value.

Just as a reminder, not long ago, we sold Jamal Lewis for £15m. Ja and Jo Murphey for £12-15m a piece. Pritchard for a similar fee. These all attacking, goal scoring championship players with some prospect of taking that to the premier league. Many will claim now that they never looked like top level able - oh how hindsight is brilliant. But at the time many were complaining we didn't get enough for them.

At the end of the day, there is no doubt and a high level of certainty that Skipp's value is not close to Aarons, and for many good reasons. 

35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Kane doesn't strike me as a player that would fit in well with a Man city type side. He's always struck me as a player who is either very good or very ordinary, with no half measures of being good even when he's not scoring.  All strikers have times when they are not scoring, but give lots to the team in other ways, which is what Man city will need, but I don't see that with Kane. Probably totally wrong (as usual) but at prices being quoted, doesn't seem a good move to me. Can see him staying at Spurs.

Since Aguero has become less potent and David Silva left, Man City have struggled to cause the same amount of technical damage to teams with multiple highly technical players with a low centre of gravity who could twist and turn the best defences in the league.

In the last couple of years they have lacked any physical presence going forward and arguably lack someone who can make the ball stick up front - something Aguero was actually incredibly good at despite not being a target man as such.

I can see Kane fitting in like Dzeko did.

• Like 1