My abiding memory of Souness is that he spent most of his time on the pitch trying to break other players' legs. And, of course, his managerial career suggests his abilty in developing young talent was vastly in need of developing. Not someone Billy should be listening to.

Souness does talk a lot of nonsense. He’s making out the lad’s the next Messi. Jorginho is an underrated player. He’s a leader and is in the same mould as Verratti who he had at PSG. His defensive side is not great but he has a good range of passing. He would benefit from the loan, and at 20 will give him the platform to go on and challenge for the following season. 

I also imagine that reserve team football but was a big plus back in the day for GS. Loans are now the equivalent of getting time in the reserves. If Gilmour is good enough to play week in week out at Chelsea then stay. If would only be a bit part player then a loan makes more sense. 

Souness thought that Scotland were brilliant and we were rubbish.

We were boring but not rubbish. And Scotland were pretty damn shoite.

So I take anything pundits say with a modicum of bias.

Edited by keelansgrandad

I hardly listen to pundits and this makes me more convinced that it's the right move to ignore them.

2 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

I hardly listen to pundits and this makes me more convinced that it's the right move to ignore them.

Depends upon the pundit.

Thought Cesc Fabregas was a fantastic listen on some of the BBC coverage. Really helped to unpack the nuance of what Spain were trying to do.

Just now, FatCanary said:

Depends upon the pundit.

Thought Cesc Fabregas was a fantastic listen on some of the BBC coverage. Really helped to unpack the nuance of what Spain were trying to do.

Souness, however, is an angry man from a bygone era who may well have been very good at what he was instructed to do in his career but became part of a carousel of managerial dinosaurs whose ideas were becoming outdated when he was a manager let alone now.

Agreed , but why do they give him a platform? Must be that there are a number of people who "value his opinion"...which to me is incomprehensible... 

4 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Agreed , but why do they give him a platform? Must be that there are a number of people who "value his opinion"...which to me is incomprehensible... 

He's a name we remember, but given his disastrous managerial career he no doubt comes very cheap. See Roy Keane, see Paul Lambert et al.

10 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Theres an awful lot of football casuals who believe that having been there and done it as a player means you automatically know more than someone who is an amateur player which in some cases is true, in others not so much. Doesn't matter to the people who defer to a hierarchy in terms of how much you understand the game, though. 

• Like 1

I'd like Gilmour in and Skipp back, but even if we did secure them, I still feel we need a more 'oven ready' midfielder too. Gilmour, Skipp, Sorenson, and Mclean lack pace and power - which we still need. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

My abiding memory of Souness is that he spent most of his time on the pitch trying to break other players' legs. And, of course, his managerial career suggests his abilty in developing young talent was vastly in need of developing. Not someone Billy should be listening to.

Indeed. Who can also forget the Ali Dia incident while he was at Southampton? Those of you born after the mid-90s, google the story. So funny

• Like 2

Comments from Souness are interesting. As in, it’s interesting how this guy can comment on the the modern game so frequently but be so out of touch with it.

He gives Foden as the example of a player who wasn’t allowed to leave and has benefited from that. I would argue that there’s no evidence to suggest Foden would be any lesser a player had he gone out a year or two earlier and gained experience at another club. In fact just look at most other players in the England team, from Harry Kane to Mount to Maguire, Sancho to Stirling. So many of these players were playing regularly at lesser clubs either at their own teams or teams they’d gone out on loan to, the importance was playing regularly. Sancho is as good a counter argument as it gets in my opinion. Leaving Peps Man City to get games in Germany and now eyeing a big money move back to the other side of Manchester. His career certainly didn’t stall.

Maddison is a good example of the importance of playing too. From loaning him back out to Coventry and then on to Aberdeen, the experience he came to us had done wonders for him and allowed him to hit the ground running in his season in the championship with us before stepping up to Leicester. Either way, Foden is the exception and not the rule for me, it’s as if people think by hanging around these great managers and players you breath their air as if it’s some elixir of greatness. Not for me.

Souness also gives himself as a comparison of how him being around top players at Liverpool gave him the cause to step up and be great, he fails to mention the 150 games he’d already got under his belt at Boro. A little more than Gilmours 11 at Chelsea. So if anything Souness himself is also evidence of the benefits of playing regularly at a lower level for career progression. Perhaps if he’d have gone to Liverpool at Gilmours age he’d have never developed into the player he became. 

If Chelsea are planning on playing Gilmour all season then so be it, but otherwise a season here with game time for us is by far the right option for his development. I can’t see how anyone could argue otherwise? I have no issue with Souness and am not old enough to have seen him play, but his reasoning is awful.

Honestly makes me glad we have the set up and coaching staff we do making the decisions, I wish him our rivals 🙂

Edited by Robopop
  • Like 1

Right now its a wait n see thing with Paddy already saying situation is ongoing  and now Sky Sports saying talks are underway, but football.London saying most reports are wide of the mark and Tuchal has not even  made a decision about Gilmour as yet. Rumours and reports are just that, nothing is of course definite until the club actually make a thing official.

I even saw one guy say yesterday that Ben Gibbo has gone back to Burnley since his loan expired and yes, no official news as yet from the club that Gibbo or indeed Dimi have  been officially made permanents..so those official statements  on any transfer really do need to come thru before any guy has properly  joined or left City.

Norwich is the perfect place for him at the moment. Daniel Farke has a great record of developing young talent and has never been afraid to play inexperienced lads. 

The training facilities are excellent and he has Hanley and McLean to look after him. There are a few other Scottish players of a similar age. 

Only hope he's no relation of the last Gilmour we had here. 

27 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Right now its a wait n see thing with Paddy already saying situation is ongoing  and now Sky Sports saying talks are underway, but football.London saying most reports are wide of the mark and Tuchal has not even  made a decision about Gilmour as yet. Rumours and reports are just that, nothing is of course definite until the club actually make a thing official.

I even saw one guy say yesterday that Ben Gibbo has gone back to Burnley since his loan expired and yes, no official news as yet from the club that Gibbo or indeed Dimi have  been officially made permanents..so those official statements  on any transfer really do need to come thru before any guy has properly  joined or left City.

The deals won't be announced until 01 July.  Gibson was at Colney yesterday when Gunny was announced as he was in the video.

He's a name we remember, but given his disastrous managerial career he no doubt comes very cheap. See Roy Keane, see Paul Lambert et al.

Was his managerial career 'disastrous', he won a few trophies.

Manager[edit]

Rangers

Liverpool

Galatasaray

Blackburn Rovers

Heh, I loved how Souness did THIS when his Galatasaray side beat Fenerbahce in the Turkish Cup final. He was a great player, when all was said and done, but like many great players, it didn't translate into being a great manager, although he was by no means that bad.

2 hours ago, Billyboybunters said:

The deals won't be announced until 01 July.  Gibson was at Colney yesterday when Gunny was announced as he was in the video.

Agreed, i was just enforcing the point that reports and rumours  mean nothing until its made official...clearly the guy who wrote about Gibbo yesterday had no true inkling of the reality  and / or did not check the true  situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Manager[edit]

Rangers

Liverpool

Galatasaray

Blackburn Rovers

The Rangers success was due to a lot of spending on bringing in successful English players.

Ask Liverpool fans what they think of him as a manager.

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Manager[edit]

Rangers

Liverpool

Galatasaray

Blackburn Rovers

Take a look at the last date he managed. His reputation went downhill rather quickly despite being appointed to top teams who were likely to win trophies irrespective of the manager appointed.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Souness, they way he celebrated Scotlands 0-0 victory over us was embarrassing...... 

I like the idea of Gilmour, but he’s not. Exactly played a lot of games, 11 fisrt team, not been out on loan to any league clubs just playing youth games.

As much as I like the potential, really not sure he’s for us given our season is all about survival. I’d much rather get Skipp back, had a full season in the championship with us, we know what he’s about.

Be an exciting signing, interesting.

Take a look at the last date he managed. His reputation went downhill rather quickly despite being appointed to top teams who were likely to win trophies irrespective of the manager appointed.

He only had one more club after Blackburn, and that was Newcastle, and Newcastle's been a dysfunctional environment for a good two decades.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

The Rangers success was due to a lot of spending on bringing in successful English players.

Ask Liverpool fans what they think of him as a manager.

Agree on the Rangers part. The displeasure from Scousers was more to do (so I believe) with an interview he gave to The Sun which ended up being published on the 3rd anniversary of Hillsborough. Should also be remembered he had major heart surgery in April 1992 so deserves to be cut some slack.

That said I believe his analysis of the potential Gilmour loan v his own upbringing and that of Foden is flawed.     

18 hours ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Would Kenny be so keen for Gilmore to sign seeming as they could be fighting for then same spot alongside a defensive midfielder?. The Scots have McLean ahead of Gilmore (wasn’t Gilmore called up to replace after injury?) so it’s either all this game time we think we can offer is at Kenny’s expense or we change our usual formation and lose Dowel/Cantwell from the starting lineup.

Competition, cover and alternative selection.....