Sign in to follow this  
CanaryLegend

Ajer and Gunn

If both confirmed and they come in at £15m (£10m for Ajer with £5m for Gunn) that's two very solid and young signings to add and so far you would have to say money well spent. Both areas we need to strengthen. If we can get a loan in this season also, rumours of Brandon Williams who can pay right or left-back and provide cover if not strength to those positions.

Not sure a new thread needs to be created as ones already...I havent heard anything further about Ajer, I suspect he is off elsewhere.

Personally I don’t rate Ajer judging from the limited time I’ve seen him play. Don’t think he’s an upgrade also. 

Just now, vlad666 said:

Personally I don’t rate Ajer judging from the limited time I’ve seen him play. Don’t think he’s an upgrade also. 

Yeah, boooo!!!! Who needs to see him actually play for us? 

From what everyone describes about him Ajer sounds like a younger Klose. A technically gifted ball playing CB that likes to move the ball up the pitch but doesn't really love defending and despite being a big unit is a bit weak and powerderpuff.

Not what we need imo, especially for that price

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

20 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

Must be limited times, because its the first 6ft 6 inch tall centre back I've seen who can do stepovers and cryuff turns, he's like the Tyson Fury of centre backs.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

From what everyone describes about him Ajer sounds like a younger Klose. A technically gifted ball playing CB that likes to move the ball up the pitch but doesn't really love defending and despite being a big unit is a bit weak and powerderpuff.

He can play DM as well.

I think he could be the player we need to transition between a 3/5 and 4 man defence throughout the game. He can step in to be a third centre back, then step out to be an extra centre mid. 

In terms of the way that we try and play football, it could be an absolute game changer, especially now that we know Hanley looks like John Terry in a three at the back system. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Must be limited times, because its the first 6ft 6 inch tall centre back I've seen who can do stepovers and cryuff turns, he's like the Tyson Fury of centre backs.

Still not sure if that's a good thing, Tyson Fury you say. Hmmmm.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I can only form an opinion based on what he’s done previously. My flux capacitor is at the menders. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

I can only form an opinion based on what he’s done previously. My flux capacitor is at the menders. 

He turned 23 in April.

He's actually younger than Jacob Sorenson.

So in terms of what he has done previously, we can start with 248 domestic games, 23 international caps, a Scottish PFA team of the year award, three league titles and six domestic cups. Youngest ever captain in the Norweigen top tier. 

Not bad going for somebody has just turned 23 I'd say.

We sign players who have their best years ahead of them, whole club is geared towards taking players to the next level. We don't spend £25m on a 27 year old who is the finished article.... 

... Not difficult to see what attributes Ajer does have, strong, quick, can play his way out of the back, can pass the ball, confident and attack minded.

Anything else that he can improve on is to be worked on, not difficult at all to see why he has had and continues to have so much interest from across the continent. 

I'd be well chuffed with this signing. 

Lets remember by the way that van Djik went from Celtic to Southampton at 23..... he didn't get the big move until he was 26. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

If Gunn and Ajer do sign, it'll be a disaster for the old bank balance given they only have surnames with 4 letters. How are we going to make money on shirt printing sales which charge by the letter?! We'll need to sign someone with a surname of 16 letters or more to make up for it. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He can play DM as well. 

Careful with that one! 😉 

Ajer would be a quality signing, at his age and experience certainly fit our profile.

Those who are writing him off because of this season at Celtic, well little narrow sighted as three seasons before has been superb and only due to the poor set up and changes this year has made more than Ajer look ordinary.

But on the positive it’s put us in contention as has he had another outstanding season we wouldn’t get anywhere near him signing for us!

53 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Celtic flop? Pfft, who even is this 'Pukki' never heard of him, should never come and play for us

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Celtic flop? Pfft, who even is this 'Pukki' never heard of him, should never come and play for us

That Celtic reject Malky Mackay didn't do too badly either did he.

35 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He turned 23 in April.

So in terms of what he has done previously, we can start with 248 domestic games, 23 international caps, a Scottish PFA team of the year award, three league titles and six domestic cups. Youngest ever captain in the Norweigen top tier. 

We sign players who have their best years ahead of them, whole club is geared towards taking players to the next level. We don't spend £25m on a 27 year old who is the finished article.... 

... Not difficult to see what attributes Ajer does have, strong, quick, can play his way out of the back, can pass the ball, confident and attack minded.

Anything else that he can improve on is to be worked on, not difficult at all to see why he has had and continues to have so much interest from across the continent. 

Lets remember by the way that van Djik went from Celtic to Southampton at 23..... he didn't get the big move until he was 26. 

I thought the point this window was that we’d sign players to improve the first 11 rather than the squad. In my opinion I don’t think he’s a better defender than Gibson or Hanley. Yes he has other attributes but Im not sure pace is one of them. 

5 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

I thought the point this window was that we’d sign players to improve the first 11 rather than the squad. In my opinion I don’t think he’s a better defender than Gibson or Hanley. Yes he has other attributes but Im not sure pace is one of them. 

Have you thought about the need for a big holding midfielder or floating DM third CB to sure up the defence? Both Hanley and certainly Gibson are prone to injury in the pas5 and Ajer is a damn sight better than Zimmermann, Klose or anyone else we have at present. Would be great to have Sorensen & Ajer both young and both comfortable ball players in DM or CB.

People are forgetting we’re Norwich City, not Villa, we don’t have the financial clout to offered stupid wages and we’re shopping on a budget, Ajer would certainly improve out starting 11.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 2

Personally I wouldn’t want sorenson and ajer as partners in midfield or attack. Not at present anyway. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He turned 23 in April.

Not sure re. the bit in bold. For a guy of his size, Ajer looks a bit timid in the physical aspect of the game/bit less imperious to me, and you can't coach cojones. If I were 6' 6" and his size, I'd come with a health warning. He is a good ball-player though, and in that regard would fit in quite well.

But both Gibson and Hanley in particular (Hanley always looks, to me, as if he's about to deck someone) look like they have a lot more mongrel about them.

Good shout with Van Dijk though, but I'd argue that Celtic fans were unanimous about van Dijk's calibre when he went. They're more mixed re. Ajer - certainly plenty of complimentary voices, but more than just a few critical ones here and there.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vlad666 said:

So a first 11 can't have three centre backs in it then? 

Because we've got two ready made wing backs... 

Gibson is 28, Hanley is 30, Ajer has just turned 23 and will be far better than both of them, if he isn't already.

You are basing this entirely on Celtic fans current opinions on Ajer, after a poor season under Neil Lennon. 

Wait until you see what Scottish football fans have been saying about Grant Hanley for the last 6 or 7 years, this is probably the first time his stock has been high with them! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

25 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Gibson is 28, Hanley is 30, Ajer has just turned 23 and will be far better than both of them, if he isn't already.

You are basing this entirely on Celtic fans current opinions on Ajer, after a poor season under Neil Lennon. 

Wait until you see what Scottish football fans have been saying about Grant Hanley for the last 6 or 7 years, this is probably the first time his stock has been high with them! 

Don’t tell me what I’m basing my opinions on unless you’re a mind reader. 
I’ve seen him with my own eyes and wasn’t impressed in a much inferior league. 

2 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Careful with that one! 😉 

Agreed,  players that can do that are sold,  or retired.

3 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I think this was what some people on here said about Virgil Van Dijk when he was being heavily linked with us?

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not sure he’s better than Grant and Ben, they all have their respective qualities. But to fair, Teemu - Celtic fans are of course CERTAINLY to be trusted. The way 100% of them laughed when we signed Mr Pukki makes me think that a 50/50 on Ajer isn’t that bad at all...

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Not sure he’s better than Grant and Ben, they all have their respective qualities. But to fair, Teemu - Celtic fans are of course CERTAINLY to be trusted. The way 100% of them laughed when we signed Mr Pukki makes me think that a 50/50 on Ajer isn’t that bad at all...

To be fair according to Celtic fans if you are a striker and you don't score a hatrick every match you're a flop, and if you're a defender and you don't keep a clean sheet every match you're a flop.

Really are a degranged and deluded fanbase, but I guess winning the divison year in year out with no real competition will do that to you, although thankfuly Rangers have served them a lovely slice of humble pie recently

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be fair according to Celtic fans if you are a striker and you don't score a hatrick every match you're a flop, and if you're a defender and you don't keep a clean sheet every match you're a flop.

Really are a degranged and deluded fanbase, but I guess winning the divison year in year out with no real competition will do that to you, although thankfuly Rangers have served them a lovely slice of humble pie recently

Yep, agreed, I wouldn’t overly take too much notice of fan opinion on players that we might be interested in signing. Judge them when they’re here AND have had time to settle.

Not so long ago on here it was seemingly 50/50 on Cantwell for instance which I found utterly bizarre, but each to their own I guess.

And worth remembering that when it’s clear a player wants out, you’ll always get X amount of supporters that suddenly decide he ‘ain’t all that’. You can draw your own conclusions on that.

5 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Not sure a new thread needs to be created as ones already...I havent heard anything further about Ajer, I suspect he is off elsewhere.

Love how precious people get about new threads 

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He turned 23 in April.

Not seen barely anything of him. Has he really had a proper poor season for Celtic, or is it just the over-emphasising of fans due to the general way their season has gone? They don't have much nice to say about him at the moment.