Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Should Hanley be playing in the middle of a 5 back?

If we got the guy from Celtic, we could defo play that with max and Dimi as wingbacks. Probably with Todd and Dowell off Pukki and 2 deeper midfielders. Could work. Would obviously need a few other options too 

Edited by Big O
  • Like 2

Yeah I've always thought we'd look good with a back 3- let Aarons and Giannoulis attack more and less defensive emphasis on players like Cantwell and Dowell. 

Seems a lot of teams now line up 3-4-3 and that offers a lot of fluidity on the pitch. In the champs 4-2-3-1 worked well but in the PL last time we had no option but to go with that mainly because of the injuries. If we were to keep hold of Max and get a quality player in to sit in front of a back 3 (Skipp please, if not Gilmore?) then I can see Farke going with a back 3

41 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I've always thought we'd look good with a back 3- let Aarons and Giannoulis attack more and less defensive emphasis on players like Cantwell and Dowell. 

Agreed, and something I believe Farke said he wanted to utilise when we were last in the prem - obviously we struggled for one fit CB for the most part let alone 3. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I was reading that and thinking about this. 

With Buendia gone, is this our best form of attack, with wing backs? My only concern would be would this limit Pukki? 

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've been suggesting the back three (3-4-2-1) for a while. I think that it suits what we have and probably suits the business we need to do.

Would the 2 be wingers or sit behind Pukki as two no 10s ?

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Could be either. Some teams play that system with wingers while some play it with two number tens. I'd say it would suit us better with two tens.

Agree re no 10s. Think Pukki is best when running on to through balls, which is my big reservation with a system so reliant on crossing wing backs.

Still, I'm pretty sure it could work.

6 hours ago, king canary said:

Will Aarons will still be with us next season? If not, how would the same system work with Mumba or Byram on the right?

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

Agreed, and something I believe Farke said he wanted to utilise when we were last in the prem - obviously we struggled for one fit CB for the most part let alone 3. 

We work on it in training anyway and switch to it a fair bit in games so the OP is a bit of a non point, no offence to the poster I realise it is Mourinho's point not yours

9 hours ago, My spoon is too big! said:

Will Aarons will still be with us next season? If not, how would the same system work with Mumba or Byram on the right?

If Aarons leaves I'd be surprised if we didn't replace him to be honest.

If we're relying on Byram next season then we've got bigger issues than the formation.

9 hours ago, My spoon is too big! said:

Makes Mumba the more likely as he looks like he's capable of beating a man. If Byram's there then you basically defend more down one side and attack up the middle or the other side. I'd suspect Byram would shuttle across to maintain the back three when a ball-playing centre-half, so mainly Gibson, pops forward.