Sign in to follow this  
Canary73

Hartlepool Utd v Torquay Utd

The National League play-off final appears to have gone under the radar somewhat. The kick off is at 1400. Hoping that Torquay Utd can do it and secure a Devon derby next season. 

The National League play-off  process seems a bit odd and drawn-out when compared to the simple knock-out rounds of the Championship, League 1 & League 2.

As I understand it, teams placed 2nd & 3rd are automatically in a play-off semi-final with a home fixture.
Teams placed 4th-7th have a knock out to play in the semi-finals, with 4th playing 7th at home and 5th playing 6th at home.

1 hour ago, K Lo said:

The National League play-off  process seems a bit odd and drawn-out when compared to the simple knock-out rounds of the Championship, League 1 & League 2.

As I understand it, teams placed 2nd & 3rd are automatically in a play-off semi-final with a home fixture.
Teams placed 4th-7th have a knock out to play in the semi-finals, with 4th playing 7th at home and 5th playing 6th at home.

No team can play more than three matches and there are five matches in total, so it's no more drawn out than the EFL playoffs. In fact, the seeded teams in second and third only play a maximum of twice.

I think it works great in a league where there's only one automatic promotion place as it allows two extra playoff places. It also ensures there's an advantage for finishing higher up the table as the higher ranked team is always at home.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

Torquay keeper equalises in the 95th minute !

yes, just heard that.

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

No team can play more than three matches and there are five matches in total, so it's no more drawn out than the EFL playoffs. In fact, the seeded teams in second and third only play a maximum of twice.

I think it works great in a league where there's only one automatic promotion place as it allows two extra playoff places. It also ensures there's an advantage for finishing higher up the table as the higher ranked team is always at home.

It's drawn out in that there is a knockout round to get into the semi finals, unlike the leagues above them.
It's also difficult to understand how it works just by looking at the table.

I get that the home advantage is given to the teams nearer the top.

3 minutes ago, K Lo said:

It's drawn out in that there is a knockout round to get into the semi finals, unlike the leagues above them.
It's also difficult to understand how it works just by looking at the table.

I get that the home advantage is given to the teams nearer the top.

But there are still only three rounds of matches: preliminary (two ties), semi final (two ties) and final. In the EFL, you have semi leg one (two ties), semi leg two (two ties) and final. The National League playoffs are no longer than the EFL ones.

I understand it looks more complicated at first glance, but it really doesn't take that much getting used to.

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

Hartlepool win 

1 minute ago, stewfil said:

Hartwell win 5-4 penalties

You have to fight to the death now over which one of you posted the result first, it's the rules

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Haha 1

Well done Hartlepools.....

If a person from Hartlepool is called a 'Pooley'....What's a person from Goole called?......

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Canary73 said:

The National League play-off final appears to have gone under the radar somewhat. The kick off is at 1400. Hoping that Torquay Utd can do it and secure a Devon derby next season. 

I'm very glad that Hartlepool did it personally, as that means 3 former Norwich City youngsters playing league football next season.

Ben Killip, Timi Odusina, and Mason Bloomfield.

18 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

a960f970-708b-11e8-99fe-0242ac11000d.jpgTorquay is a really nice, beautiful place. Been quite a few times, just a shame it's so far away and expensive

How much is Fawlty Towers a night? 😂😂

On 20/06/2021 at 17:32, Mello Yello said:

If a person from Hartlepool is called a 'Pooley'....What's a person from Goole called?......

A resident of Goole.

Don't know what you are thinking...

On 20/06/2021 at 17:32, Mello Yello said:

There are many names for the residents of Goole.. none of them pleasant 🤪 🧟‍♂️