Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Sterling’s penalty

It wasn’t a penalty imo. I think the ref treated it with the contempt such nonsense deserves . Same ref did the Champions league final - a class act . 

But

In the Prem , that gets given by VAR. 

And that’s one of the big problems with VAR. Under  pressure from the players and coaching staff that would get reviewed .They would have looked 15 times from different angles and found “contact”.

“Contact” which does now appear in the Laws, and is the obsession of the Pundits . 

How many times have we seen refs tell players to get up in this tournament ? Breath of fresh air . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
Spelling - changed angels to angles 😂
  • Like 7

I agree, however it’s these inconsistencies across competitions and more importantly between referees and the official in charge of VAR, that is ruining the game.

VAR in the Euros is being used like a last resort, like it will only intervene when there is a clear an obvious error from the on field decision…hey, why don’t the PL give that a try?

• Like 3

Totally agree with you in, definitely not a penalty, but also that English VAR officials would have given it. 

I'll never ever like or want VAR, but my hatred of it is amplified in this country by the utter clowns implementing it. 

• Like 2

The way VAR is being utilised in this tournament is the way I had envisaged it would be used in the PL. 

Why the f*** they are not listening to the fans beggars belief.

(Who is ultimately responsible for overseeing VAR in the EPL? Maybe someone would be so kind to post the answer for me.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

I agree, however it’s these inconsistencies across competitions and more importantly between referees and the official in charge of VAR, that is ruining the game.

VAR in the Euros is being used like a last resort, like it will only intervene when there is a clear an obvious error from the on field decision…hey, why don’t the PL give that a try?

Spot on - and how it is meant to work. Players don’t surround the refs imploring a review like they have been allowed to in the Prem. 

Clear and Obvious is the key . Why POGMOL don’t have the balls to see it is beyond me 

• Like 1

I think the refs  in the tournament have been a breath of fresh air tbh. That Spanish ref is one of the best in the world right now.

Also the application of VAR has been excellent; fast decisions that have been spot on.

The consistency will come with English refs becoming better at their roles and the people who administer VAR aspiring to be as good as it has been in this tournament.

VAR is here to stay.

And by the way it wasn't a penalty and didn't need a VAR check. Just because the EPL would have given it doesn't mean UEFA officials also have to get it wrong.

Excellnt op, agree with every word.  However, there is still one thing that is not right and that is the offside part of it which is still too draconian.  I want to see them accept that offside decisions cannot be accurately decided by VAR because of the nature of knowing exactly when the ball leaves the foot of whoever is making the cross/pass.  In the euros, we are still seeing millimetre decisions and this needs to change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This tournament is really showing up the prems interpretation of use of VAR and the ability of the referees using it.

revolution needed in this area. Get rid of the old boys club. They have abjectly failed for years.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

And by the way it wasn't a penalty and didn't need a VAR check. Just because the EPL would have given it doesn't mean UEFA officials also have to get it wrong.

That's pretty much what we've all said on this thread. 

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Excellnt op, agree with every word.  However, there is still one thing that is not right and that is the offside part of it which is still too draconian.  I want to see them accept that offside decisions cannot be accurately decided by VAR because of the nature of knowing exactly when the ball leaves the foot of whoever is making the cross/pass.  In the euros, we are still seeing millimetre decisions and this needs to change.

Cant recall 1 goal in the Euros so far having to have bloody lines on the screen to see if its onside or not. Always said if you need lines to see then it shouldn't be offside. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Cant recall 1 goal in the Euros so far having to have bloody lines on the screen to see if its onside or not. Always said if you need lines to see then it shouldn't be offside. 

There have been at least two I can remember.

Totally agree with OP. Take it a step further, are our English players that play in the EPL now getting too used to the boss-eyed application of VAR? Will Kane and Sterling go down under minimal contact expecting it to be given when they should have stayed on feet.

Also disingenuous from the same pundits we see on sky and BBC week in week out not to even discuss it, or say ‘nothing in it’. They know full well what would happen in EPL. Unless we are learning it’s Sky’s agenda alone to whip up so much controversy about VAR 

• Like 1

I agree that VAR is generally being used better in the Euros, but even then, they haven't been perfect. The Czech Republic penalty, given after review yesterday, was as bad as anything we've seen in the Premier League. 

Also, we've only had 21 matches at the Euros, which is equivalent to two rounds of Premier League games. It's a pretty small sample size so far and I don't think we've seen an 'armpit offside' yet as all goals overturned by VAR have been fairly clear cut, so whilst I agree that the refs and the VARs have been generally very good, I think it's a bit too early to be lauding them as the ideal interpretation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Totally agree with OP. Take it a step further, are our English players that play in the EPL now getting too used to the boss-eyed application of VAR? Will Kane and Sterling go down under minimal contact expecting it to be given when they should have stayed on feet.

Also disingenuous from the same pundits we see on sky and BBC week in week out not to even discuss it, or say ‘nothing in it’. They know full well what would happen in EPL. Unless we are learning it’s Sky’s agenda alone to whip up so much controversy about VAR 

This is 100% correct. Players are “rewarded” by going down and gaining free kicks and penalties . This is the main thrust of the point . It isn’t “was the player impeded” as it used to be. it has become “was there contact” which is entirely different . VAR is now used in in EPL to determine “contact” . 

• Like 1

To be fair the ex referee they had comment on the tv coverage said it wasn’t a penalty. BUT he did say that Sterling was tripped.

I'm no expert on the rules but if the player is tripped in the penalty box when he has the ball...isn’t that a penalty?

• Like 1

Good post. 100% would have been a penalty in Prem with its VAR implementation 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rock bus said:

To be fair the ex referee they had comment on the tv coverage said it wasn’t a penalty. BUT he did say that Sterling was tripped.

I'm no expert on the rules but if the player is tripped in the penalty box when he has the ball...isn’t that a penalty?

I didn’t hear that - if the ref said he was tripped in possession then it’s a pen. But he wasn’t tripped . 

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

It wasn’t a penalty imo. I think the ref treated it with the contempt such nonsense deserves . Same ref did the Champions league final - a class act . 

But

In the Prem , that gets given by VAR. 

And that’s one of the big problems with VAR. Under  pressure from the players and coaching staff that would get reviewed .They would have looked 15 times from different angles and found “contact”.

“Contact” which does now appear in the Laws, and is the obsession of the Pundits . 

How many times have we seen refs tell players to get up in this tournament ? Breath of fresh air . 

Not saying it was a pen, but wasn't a pen awarded via VAR for a similar incident in an earlier match, there does still appear to be a lack of consistency........

Would debate that he had the ball too, looked like a heavy touch was sending the ball out of play possibly.

VAR being used much better is definitely something I agree on. Would like to see more instances of it being used to reward players staying on their feet when advantage leads to nothing as it’s the perfect tool to stop this culture of ‘winning’ a penalty

It’s refreshing that VAR has hardly been noticed. 

Equally, players going down easily are being waved away by refs. 

from the moment Sterling got the ball, he wasn’t even trying to beat his man, he was just waiting for the slightest contact in order to go down. Not in the spirit of the game or sportsmanship in my view and to be honest I love football but this is the one thing I detest. I’d welcome a panel of players to identify players cheating post-matches and retrospective cards awarded. That would soon stop this disgraceful practice.

Gosh, it’s a long way up here on my soapbox!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rock bus said:

That Peter Walton they have on there is the biggest stooge I’ve ever seen. Without fail always agrees with the refs opinion. Had that been a premier league game he would have said “clear contact on sterling’s foot there, VAR got it right”.

Walton can not be trusted.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

One I didn't understand was Czechs penalty for using an elbow which is violent play but the offending player wasn't sent off.

I’m no ref but I thought it had something to do with intention, deliberate elbow or reckless would be red but careless would fall into yellow card territory. Personally wouldn’t have given either as both jumping ‘naturally’

Var was certainly ‘noticed’ in the Czech v Croatia game - the pen that was given was extremely contentious. No one who has played the game, or watched it for years come to that, would have thought it a penalty.

The point on Sterling’s ‘shout’ was that he did get his foot trodden on, like it or not, so there was a decision to be made.  That var didn’t even look (the commentators said they are told if a review is ongoing) is somewhat odd.

Edited by Branston Pickle

That’s a clear penalty in my view, certainly in the age of VAR. that it possibly wasn’t even checked is very strange. it would have been undeserved but we’ve been hard done by there. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rock bus said:

He is an idiot. He said “there is a slight trip” but then that he wouldn’t give it as Sterling went down to easily. If he was tripped it’s a foul and a penalty. It’s not like one of those incidents where two players brush against each other and one goes down, you can see his is tripped.