Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

England v Scotland

1 minute ago, mastoola said:

England played 6 defensive players and 4 attacking players  wtf? We didnt even play a balanced team. Southgate needs to go.

Question is

A- England job for English managers only unwritten current rule

B- England job is a posion challice as everyone knows

C- Nobody wants the England job

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Not sure that's true, fantastic manager though Farke is, or fantastic coach I should really say, and he is fantastic but he (& Webber) have the advantage of being to recruit the players he wants from all over whereas Southgate has only got the seriously overhyped and entitled English 'stars' of the Premier League to choose from.

I know which job I'd rather have.

The one that pays £5m a year and comes with 40 weeks a year holiday?

• Haha 2

Bit confused why Southgate is playing Norwich's Harry Kane as opposed to Tottenhams Harry Kane 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Maybe we’re aiming for second in the group? Another painful 0-0 draw with Czech will see us through on the nice side of the draw. Then it’s just a matter of trying to nick a goal, dive and set piece our way through a couple more rounds before we finally face a team with any sniff of quality at which point we crumble and go out.

Just really disappointing to see teams like Netherlands and Italy with clearly much weaker sides playing with so much more freedom and flair, and there’s us trying to play like prime Juventus yet we create **** all without committing bodies forwards or overloads and we don’t really defend that well either. Just **** poor stuff.

I know we got to the semis in the last tournament but I can never really remember a truly freeflow attacking England side. This current iteration of the side is totally soulless. Happy to take playing like that when it’s a winning game against Croatia (although I’d wager it is a much worse Croatia side than 2018), but against Scotland? Did we even want to win? 

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Question is

B and C agreed    A   Cappelo and Sven ?

7 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Very flat England. Only upside is Hanley looked very comfortable against Kane etc.

Kane was **** to be fair.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Question is

I’d rather Frank Lampard than Southgate if we keep this up!

• Like 2

England may have 4 points but by no means thru yet. But dearie me...the gulf between England and a team like France is huge..prolonging the inevitable..at some stage we will do as we do..customarily drop out of the competition. But tonight reminded me of one or two lower level Championship sides coming to the Carra and frustrating City with a 0-0 as has happened on a few occasions.

Well done Grant, just about sailed thru the game without ever being under  to much severe  pressure, Scotland  came to fight and frustrate and it worked.

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I’d rather Frank Lampard than Southgate if we keep this up!

So would I and thats a good shout.

17 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

When in possession, it looks like the main tactic is to stand around and watch the player on the ball.

Yup 

Stand still and waving arms occasionally

No movement, very poor 

I suspect we wanted a draw 

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

All part of the plan...now draw again vs Czech and we avoid France Germany or Portugal.....who would murder us

Finishing 2nd would be ideal and also gets away from Wembley.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The one that pays £5m a year and comes with 40 weeks a year holiday?

Fair point, I guess I was thinking of job satisfaction but on reflection I could be quite content with a salary of £5m pa & ro weeks holiday.

The other 12  weeks must be hell though - do 2 or 3 years and then retire early  would work 😀

Initially I thought the selection was correct- thought James and Shaw would bring more attacking impetus down the flanks and let Sterling, Foden and Mount interchange and pull the Scottish defenders around. However they barely seemed to get past the halfway line.

What is concerning is the persistence with players like Mount and Phillips who were bringing nothing to the table. You've got young, exciting talent like Sancho and Bellingham to bring on, why not use them?

Just now, king canary said:

Initially I thought the selection was correct- thought James and Shaw would bring more attacking impetus down the flanks and let Sterling, Foden and Mount interchange and pull the Scottish defenders around. However they barely seemed to get past the halfway line.

What is concerning is the persistence with players like Mount and Phillips who were bringing nothing to the table. You've got young, exciting talent like Sancho and Bellingham to bring on, why not use them?

At least this performance should pave the way for some fresh faces! Would like to see a bit of a shake up for the Czech game. 

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well done Hanley and Scotland.  England as usual, not living up to their supposed talent. 

That sums it up Lakey.

Admit I feared for Grant tonight but he was outstanding throughout and the fresh legs did nothing against him. Going back to your earlier posts agree Terry Venables was the real deal for England. He was the best England boss since Ramsey, who would've got so much more creativity out of this squad. Don't have a downer on Southgate as a person, but the football's just dull.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I kinda agree with what you say however the problem is there is no play maker so the wingbacks dont get played in. The two defensive mids just played the ball backwards,

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

All part of the plan...now draw again vs Czech and we avoid France Germany or Portugal.....who would murder us

The thing is, if we finish as runners-up, we may end up with an 'easier' game in the last 16 but we'd end up playing the winners of the France/Germany/Portugal group in the quarters, and that would be in St Petersburg without home advantage.

People are talking this up as a clever tactic but it really isn't.

• Like 2

Because Southgate is a scaredy cat. You heard Kane after the game say qualification was the aim and that was a step nearer to it. Thats not right. He should have said we are sorry for letting down the fans as we should have 6 points by now.

England and Scotland have played 120 minutes between them and scored one goal.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

People are talking this up as a clever tactic but it really isn't.

I don’t think anyone thinks it’s a deliberate tactic, just trying to find a silver lining for our ****eness. 

3 minutes ago, mastoola said:

I kinda agree with what you say however the problem is there is no play maker so the wingbacks dont get played in. The two defensive mids just played the ball backwards,

Yeah, that's where I would have wanted to see Southgate switch Phillips out for Bellingham or Henderson to try and be a bit more progressive from deeper positions.

13 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Not sure that's true, fantastic manager though Farke is, or fantastic coach I should really say, and he is fantastic but he (& Webber) have the advantage of being to recruit the players he wants from all over whereas Southgate has only got the seriously overhyped and entitled English 'stars' of the Premier League to choose from.

I know which job I'd rather have.

He wouldn’t be shy to drop such a type and is so more tactically aware than Southgate could ever be. 

England are so slow and hard on the eye, great viewing for any insomniacs though. 

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

If Gilmour really is available for loan, I say "get him in NOW!"

He won't be coming to Norwich that's for sure. Will be in the Chelsea squad no problem.

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I don’t think anyone thinks it’s a deliberate tactic, just trying to find a silver lining for our ****eness. 

Oh, I know that, but my point was that a lot of people are actually wanting it to happen as it's an easier route. It has an easier last 16 game, but a more difficult quarter final, so I really don't think it is.

I do feel a touch sorry for Southgate at times- took us further than we've been in a major tournament since 1990 and yet some people talk about him like he's a total moron.

• Like 1

Play a man sitting in front of the defence . To try and control the midfield infront of the defense is negative. We are England with some of the best talent in the world. Go and impose yourself on the game I feel sorry for Kane  he never got a look in because our tactics tried to control the game in front of our defense.

I do feel a touch sorry for Southgate at times- took us further than we've been in a major tournament since 1990 and yet some people talk about him like he's a total moron.

Indeed, I think every England coach in the last 25 years has suffered the same fate.

16 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

No we don’t, though - maybe we avoid in round 2, but we’d play whoever wins that group in the q-f (assuming they win their round two match).