Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

fortress carra rd? back to square 1?

the pinkun''s fortress carra rd reminds me of when worthy came in and declared we needed to keep clean sheets, (which is always a good idea in any aspect of life) because clean sheets win games and that carra rd should be a difficult place for teams to come.the circle has fully turned and in terms of performance - isn''t this an admission that we are at the same place where worthy came in as manager.  surely sundays team display was as bad as anything hamilton served up - if not worse?

What really annoyed me about this latest piece of ''spin'' is that Worthington put the blame for our miserable season on the players.

Other managers turn around and say "The buck stops with me; I choose the team and the tactics".

"Other managers" carry the can? Do they really? Not in the real world, they don''t. Usually it''s the referee''s fault, but there''s a whole bookful of excuses that most of them know by heart. In fact, I''ve NEVER heard a manager will say "it''s totally my fault", which is probably correct - it isn''t. Worthy''s no worse in this repect than any other manager, in fact he''s better because he never blames the officials.

this is just a follow on from a edp ( i think) story a couple of weeks ago - it was either doherty of worthy that said we were good enough for clean sheets. since then we have conceded 3 to watford, 2 to ipswich (at home) and 4 to reading (away) with this in mind i think that someone has got their wires crossed. i am led to believe that a feedback form was filled in from a hotel the players visited before a game. It said, the players were well behaved, with extra practice they could keep clean sheets.

[quote user="Old Boy"]

"Other managers" carry the can? Do they really? Not in the real world, they don''t. Usually it''s the referee''s fault, but there''s a whole bookful of excuses that most of them know by heart. In fact, I''ve NEVER heard a manager will say "it''s totally my fault", which is probably correct - it isn''t. Worthy''s no worse in this repect than any other manager, in fact he''s better because he never blames the officials.

[/quote]

but he does reguarly blame the players- and single players out for specific blaming.....

"There''s not a lot I can do when players make those kinds of mistakes, but I''ve brought them to the club so the buck has to stop with me". (Alan Curbishley, Dec 2005)

"...it''s up to me to improve the defenders we already have here. Either way, the buck stops with me." (Graham Sounness, Dec 2005)

"The buck stops with me. I was ashamed of what happened in the 90 minutes and the same applies to my players. I pick the team. I am responsible for results." (David O''Leary, Jan 2006)

The above quotes are just a few of those that I''ve found. So, yes, Old Boy, other managers DO carry the can.

If Worthington is so keen on the Charlton model, he should take a look at the integrity of Alan Curbishley.  

And just to prove a point, Worthington has now had ''a discussion'' with Youssef Safri about his lack of fitness for the Ipswich game - is it Saff''s fault that the Moroccan coaches don''t push their players into the ground like ours do up at Colney? Because of heat and humidity, the Africans play a different style of game, one based on skill and passing, not charging around at 100 mph like our game. That''s why they train accordingly. And I bet the Moroccan squad don''t pick up as many injuries on the training ground as Norwich do.

As usual Worthy is focussing on the wrong player - yes safri looked jaded in the second half but the real issues in midfield lie elsewhere than with the reliable linch pin in the centre of the park.   How about having a discussion with hughes about his passing ur etuhu about his lack of effort which meant that both HAD to be substituted at half time meaning there was no chance to take safri off and replace him as his energy levels dropped.  

Instead he constantly shares discussions about players who have been the bedrock of what little has been right about this team this season, fi its not Safri its Mcveigh etc etc.