Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Refs at the Euros

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There's only one Simon Hooper 😂

Now that is a chant!..... sung of course by many thousands with the greatest irony. Bring this on. Sarcasm being the highest form of humour naturally.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Not so . The Argentinian Simone Hooperez    enjoyed a (brief) spell as a ref in The Primera División until in a bizarre twist of fate ,  he was run out of town after disallowing a goal scored by an  over head kick , by Diego Maradona for Bocca  Juniors against River Plate. 

If that had happened last time we were in the PL would VAR have reviewed it and if so would they have allowed the goal?

19 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

If that had happened last time we were in the PL would VAR have reviewed it and if so would they have allowed the goal?

It’s a good question

On the basis that he got removed from all subsequent prem league games that season , and for a few seasons thereafter we have to assume the refs thought it was a shocking decision . Missing a stonewall pen later in the game didn’t help (that would have been given under VAR ) . 

“goal or no goal” is one of the decisions automatically checked by VAR . The fact that Jerome “scored” would lead to a review 

So yes , I think it would have been overturned as “clear and obvious” 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

On the basis that he got removed from all subsequent prem league games that season , and for a few seasons thereafter we have to assume the refs thought it was a shocking decision . Missing a stonewall pen later in the game didn’t help (that would have been given under VAR ) . 
So yes , I think it would have been overturned as “clear and obvious” 

That would have been an interesting report.

"The referee appeared to invent a reason to disallow the goal"

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Not so . The Argentinian Simone Hooperez    enjoyed a (brief) spell as a ref in The Primera División until in a bizarre twist of fate ,  he was run out of town after disallowing a goal scored by an  over head kick , by Diego Maradona for Bocca  Juniors against River Plate. 

VAR official: David Ellereza. 😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

I watch a lot of German football, and I can assure you it doesn't work better over there. 

I vaguely recall one German game when the players went in for HT then had to come back out to take a penalty if I recall, 

Personally I actually think our refs get most decisions right, we think they are poor because 1 we disagree with a decision which 9 times out of 10 is proven right later, yet we only remember our initial thoughts. And 2 any mistake us highlighted and replayed so much.

Ppl seem to expect perfection from humans but complain about how  precise VAR trys to be slowing the game down.

Id rather leave as much as possible to human decision, even if there's more errors so we can keep the instant emotion of football in tact, and not this diluted version that bar creates.

Also...  I understand why they keep their flags down,until a move is finished so they can check var if needed, but that's so annoying.

Why can't they flag for a suspected offside so everyone can see there's a doubt and it will be checked,and the ref waves play on. Then check it after.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glory.win or die. said:

I vaguely recall one German game when the players went in for HT then had to come back out to take a penalty if I recall, 

Yeah, that was a couple of seasons ago, but was a total farce. It has got better than then, but not the problem free system some would have you think. Players have been as outspoken over there about it as they have here. 

18 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The less said about that decision, the better. 

Rubbish, it was a clear foul, penalty! 😂👍🇨🇿

PS nobody would complaining if that was Kane given that in two hours time! 😉💛💚

Edited by Indy

31 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

VAR wasn't the problem here, it was the numpty who decided to give the penalty. 

VAR officials obviously wanted him to look though. VAR is just a steaming pile of horse manure regardless of whether the issue is more the technology or the morons using it.

Can't agree with that penalty award. This is my primary issue with VAR - it encourages refereeing by freeze-frame instead of taking a holistic view of things.