Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Maddison and Arsenal

Rumoured in today’s papers. Arsenal after Maddison for £60m. Also paper report that Leicester turned down an offer of around £70m last season.

if ever we needed more evidence that Emi has been sold too early in the window, and undersold at £33m this is it.

I can see Villa selling him in the future for a record transfer fee.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

Rumoured in today’s papers. Arsenal after Maddison for £60m. Also paper report that Leicester turned down an offer of around £70m last season.

if ever we needed more evidence that Emi has been sold too early in the window, and undersold at £33m this is it.

Explain how?  Because of Emi’s track record playing in a successful team in the PL for several years?

It actually shows what the ability to take decent free kicks and corners is worth 😉.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I do wonder whether Leicester will cash in. Injuries and declining form would leave me tempted if I got a big offer. 

Maybe if they pull off their attempt to get Coutinho.  

If ever there was a lack of research and understanding.

There is literally about a month between Maddison and Buendia in age. Remind me which one has been playing Premier League football for the last three seasons and which has been in the Championship 2 out of the last 3 seasons?

Maddison is the better player as of right now, and he is "homegrown". 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

If Emi could also take a brilliant set piece then he would be in much higher demand we would have been forced to sell him after our relegation for about 40-50m, if we got relegated that is, a good set piece taker could have made a massive difference as we didn't have anyone since Maddison and I'm really hoping we sign a player we can score from free kicks and take accurate corners this window

15 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Yeah I saw this yesterday and wondered if that move did happen what that would mean for Maddison.

I recall there is a good sell on clause so let's see, now that arsenal are not getting the lad from Real Madrid it could be a move.

16 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

They're trying to get Coutinho?! Really?!

7 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

If Emi could also take a brilliant set piece then he would be in much higher demand we would have been forced to sell him after our relegation for about 40-50m, if we got relegated that is, a good set piece taker could have made a massive difference as we didn't have anyone since Maddison and I'm really hoping we sign a player we can score from free kicks and take accurate corners this window

Considering Kieran Dowell whacked in that corker against Derby and looks like he takes a good corner and set-piece, I think he's already in the building.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, chicken said:

If ever there was a lack of research and understanding.

There is literally about a month between Maddison and Buendia in age. Remind me which one has been playing Premier League football for the last three seasons and which has been in the Championship 2 out of the last 3 seasons?

Maddison is the better player as of right now, and he is "homegrown". 

This...........

• Like 1

I personally think £33m was far to cheap for buendia in this market. I suspect a lot of posters are kidding themselves and justifying the price when before they would have been demanding at least £40m. I suspect the clubs were willing to sell on the cheap provided it was done early. I still can't get over how desperate webber seemed to sell buendia to generate some funds for incoming. 

Also starting to think Godfrey was sold on the cheap when you look at the price of Ben White the summer, both players having the same Premier league experience. 

1 hour ago, Bradwell canary said:

Maddison is the same age as Emi, home-grown, and has spent 3 consecutive seasons in the Premier League with a successful side. Leicester are higher up the food chain too.

So it's not even vaguely comparable.

• Like 1

Also, if Webber was telling the truth about him wanting to go to villa then we were better off getting rid sooner. We can all sit here and say "he could have gone to a bigger club if we waited" but one would assume that his agent had already been talking to the bigger clubs and the feedback was that it was unlikely to happen this summer. If he hadn't or the feedback had have been that there was interest then he wasn't doing his job properly... The fact no one came in and tried to gazump villa (like Leeds did with Gunn) implies that there was no bidding war to be had

This is why I have such little respect for so many transfer opinions on this forum. 

People just don't actually think through what they're saying.

It's like they don't know how football transfers, or specifically player values, work. But they do love anything they can b!tch about.

Classic fag packet maths.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Rumours in Leicester that Maddison has had a falling out with Brendan Rodgers - another manager in the ever growing list that has had an issue with Maddison's attitude. 

Yeah, have heard rumours his England callup last year and the media fawning over him has gone straight to his head and ego and he has started to slide back into his 'Do you know who am I?' days..

Shame, seemed to improve so much during his time with us but sadly it seems he's starting to go back to showing his real colours

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Maddison v Emi isn't a like for like comparison right now, but I do wonder if Maddison has already peaked.

It would be more comparable if there is any interest in say Danjuma at Bournemouth.

Also I believe West Ham played £25 to £30m for Benrahma - very similar to Emi in terms of age and experience at that time.

They couldn't afford Emi, they sure as hell can't afford Maddison, and why the hell would he swap Leicester for a bang average mid table club? 

As others have said, if they can't afford Emi then Maddison is out of the question. And he won't leave Leicester to go to Arsenal. Can't see him leaving Leicester full stop at the moment, clearly loves it there.

I think Emi's value should have been around £35-40M, which given the add-ons we put into the deal it could be. So in truth I think we got about the right change for him really. Yes he's got bags of talent, but he struggled in the PL last time so still has plenty to prove

14 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Anyone know if we've got any sell-on clauses?

Can't say for sure, but would imagine it is highly likely!

6 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

They couldn't afford Emi, they sure as hell can't afford Maddison, and why the hell would he swap Leicester for a bang average mid table club? 

Kinda amusing that Arsenal in 17-18 came so, so close to getting both prime Vardy and Maddison, and now they are midtable and are being outbid for top targets by Villa.

Oh the times they are a changing..

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

I personally think £33m was far to cheap for buendia in this market. I suspect a lot of posters are kidding themselves and justifying the price when before they would have been demanding at least £40m. I suspect the clubs were willing to sell on the cheap provided it was done early. I still can't get over how desperate webber seemed to sell buendia to generate some funds for incoming. 

Also starting to think Godfrey was sold on the cheap when you look at the price of Ben White the summer, both players having the same Premier league experience. 

So what you're saying is that there were big clubs out there who wanted Buendia, and were willing to pay a lot more than Villa, but they just sat back and let him go. Just how naive do you think those clubs are? And for that matter just how naive do you think City is, and Buendia's agent is? Perhaps we could have got a couple of million more had we waited until the transfer deadline, but then any replacements we subsequently bought would also have their prices ramped up at that point. And how many posters on here would have been raging at City leaving it to the last minute to get in new players? Frankly £33m (rising to circa £40m) is a massive amount of money for Buendia at this particular stage in his career. If he goes on to fulfill his potential and doubles his value I will say well done to him and Villa and thank you very much for any money due in add-ons.

55 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Rumours in Leicester that Maddison has had a falling out with Brendan Rodgers - another manager in the ever growing list that has had an issue with Maddison's attitude. 

But he did a socially distant goal celebration because he's really responsible and has a great attitude and stuff. Right?

Arsenal could afford Emi, they just didn't think he was worth spending the extra money on - especially as it seems Emi's preferred destination was Villa. I also doubt Arsenal would think he was worth spend £80k a week on his wages.

• Like 1