Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Maddison and Arsenal

27 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

So we sold him for £25 million. £60 million would see us net over £5 million. Decent that. Trouble is it's Arsenal, they never land their man.

I was doing the math and came to a similarish figure, would be great if they hold out for 70 million. Think the club could do with the unexpected windfall as I think it’s unlikely any new sponsor will be putting up the exact same fee as BK8, so there might be a million or two out of the budget once’s that’s all sorted. The other is that they were saying on the pinkun podcast that the club have budgeted this coming season under the assumption we have a full house from game 1, if that doesn’t come to be then the extra few million will help us not have to dip into our transfer budget to cover it.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Rumours in Leicester that Maddison has had a falling out with Brendan Rodgers - another manager in the ever growing list that has had an issue with Maddison's attitude. 

That’s a real shame if true and I’m not sure a move to Arsenal and a very volatile manger/club situation will do much to improve that. He’s a fantastic talent but he’s kidding himself if he thinks he hasn’t got anymore work to do, he really is at a point where he should be pushing on and cementing himself in the England squad.

Just now, birchfest said:

That’s a real shame if true and I’m not sure a move to Arsenal and a very volatile manger/club situation will do much to improve that. He’s a fantastic talent but he’s kidding himself if he thinks he hasn’t got anymore work to do, he really is at a point where he should be pushing on and cementing himself in the England squad.

With Mount, Foden and Grealish around Maddison will never be an England regular I suspect. Especially when there are players like Curtis Jones, Smith-Rowe and Eze coming up through the U21s. 

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

With Mount, Foden and Grealish around Maddison will never be an England regular I suspect. Especially when there are players like Curtis Jones, Smith-Rowe and Eze coming up through the U21s. 

Indeed. And I am sure Maddison has already figured that out too.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Was it ever confirmed if we had a sell on clause?

15% of anything over £24 million was reported a while back. If that's correct and he was sold for £70 million it would mean an extra £6.9 million for us.

32 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:
53 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

So we sold him for £25 million. £60 million would see us net over £5 million. Decent that. Trouble is it's Arsenal, they never land their man.

James Maddison for shirt sponsor?

A bruciebonus that would be. Not budgeted for but would be very nice thank you and would fill a certain loss of income that recently occurred....

I don't see Arsenal paying that much for Maddison. £35-£40m maybe, and I think they'd get rid for that. His progress has almost completely stalled at Leicester after a good start and, like Lingard, he needs a change of scenery to refresh and calm down again. There's a great player in there, but character flaws often accompany great talent.

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I don't see Arsenal paying that much for Maddison. £35-£40m maybe, and I think they'd get rid for that. His progress has almost completely stalled at Leicester after a good start and, like Lingard, he needs a change of scenery to refresh and calm down again. There's a great player in there, but character flaws often accompany great talent.

Erm, what?

He's been consistently good for his three years at Leicester. 98 Premier League appearances and 21 goals, spread out as 36, 31, 31 appearances and 7, 6, 8 goals. His goals to minutes ratio was at its best THIS season.

To say that Leicester would get rid of him for £35-40m is Lakey-level trolling.

47 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Erm, what?

He's been consistently good for his three years at Leicester. 98 Premier League appearances and 21 goals, spread out as 36, 31, 31 appearances and 7, 6, 8 goals. His goals to minutes ratio was at its best THIS season.

Oy! Watch it. When you're a perfect poster, let me know. 

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Oy! Watch it. When you're a perfect poster, let me know. 

I'm a perfect poster.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

It's been talked about on here and I'd be surprised if Webber sanctioned the deal without one as that's been his MO with most other big deals.

I would be surprised also. I just recall some confusion over the matter at the time, possibly due to Steve Stone getting a bit confused when he was asked about it at the AGM. If, as reported, its 15% on any profit then that would be a nice windfall. 

3 hours ago, chicken said:

If ever there was a lack of research and understanding.

There is literally about a month between Maddison and Buendia in age. Remind me which one has been playing Premier League football for the last three seasons and which has been in the Championship 2 out of the last 3 seasons?

Maddison is the better player as of right now, and he is "homegrown". 

Just for those of us for a certain age, could you expand on “literally about a month” in terms of actual difference ?

Sorry to be pedantic.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Pretty much true @Bethnal Yellow and Green, as fans we tend to over egg the quality of our players and ex-players. What can been great at our level doesn't quite cut the mustard at the higher levels of Champions League & Internationals where the market is much wider.

I think that if anyone is likely to attract a stellar bid, it's Youri Tielemans. Liverpool want his as Wijnaldum's replacement if reports are to be believed. Can't see anyone stumping up enough for Maddison to leave, and if Tielemans does go they'll probably be more determined to patch up the differences and keep him for next season.

2 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Pretty much true @Bethnal Yellow and Green, as fans we tend to over egg the quality of our players and ex-players. What can been great at our level doesn't quite cut the mustard at the higher levels of Champions League & Internationals where the market is much wider.

I'm not too sure. Maddison was injured for much of this season, which equally clouds people's judgement.

There was a part of the season where he got 7 goals and 5 assists in 14 games. Injury struck (plus the covid party) and then he had a poor end to the season. 

If he can replicate that form for a whole season then he surely can't be ignored*.

*Southgate will also have to get sacked because he clearly thinks he's a bad egg.

Just now, Yellow and Green said:

I'm not too sure. Maddison was injured for much of this season, which equally clouds people's judgement.

There was a part of the season where he got 7 goals and 5 assists in 14 games. Injury struck (plus the covid party) and then he had a poor end to the season. 

If he can replicate that form for a whole season then he surely can't be ignored*.

*Southgate will also have to get sacked because he clearly thinks he's a bad egg.

I was thinking of a little Argentinian........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Maddison is the same age as Emi, home-grown, and has spent 3 consecutive seasons in the Premier League with a successful side. Leicester are higher up the food chain too.

So it's not even vaguely comparable.

Thanks for being the 3rd or 4th person to state this 🤯

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Erm, what?

I don't really know what trolling means to be honest. This is my opinion though, and it's as valid as yours is, unless you happen to know what Leicester would sell him for, which you don't. Stats don't tell you everything. Maddison was influencing games much more before Tielemans arrived, and has not raised his game in that period. 

Why is this messageboard so aggressive? 

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Erm, what?

Lakeyos trolling is inadvertent, it has to be, no one could come up with such stuff....and mean it.😇

6 hours ago, Bradwell canary said:

Rumoured in today’s papers. Arsenal after Maddison for £60m. Also paper report that Leicester turned down an offer of around £70m last season.

if ever we needed more evidence that Emi has been sold too early in the window, and undersold at £33m this is it.

I can see Villa selling him in the future for a record transfer fee.

Given that Madison has several years successful experience in the Premier League and Emi has one rather mixed season, I would have thought that it showed precisely the opposite.

There is no evidence yet that he will be able to "tear up" the premier league, which is why the very biggest clubs did not, as far as we are aware, put in an offer for Emi, meaning a fee rising to £40 million, if he is a good as we all think he is, is a good as we were likely to get.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I don't really know what trolling means to be honest. This is my opinion though, and it's as valid as yours is, unless you happen to know what Leicester would sell him for, which you don't. Stats don't tell you everything. Maddison was influencing games much more before Tielemans arrived, and has not raised his game in that period. 

Aggressive? Really?

3 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

Thanks for being the 3rd or 4th person to state this 🤯

I would also like to remind everyone  that James Maddison  is  according to a certain  poster....." a wonderful  person". Now , if I could only remember  who that was.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Aggressive? Really?

I could identify as a millennial snowflake. Still don't see why I get called a troll just because I disagree with you about a players valuation. (I'm right, by the way.)

7 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I could identify as a millennial snowflake. Still don't see why I get called a troll just because I disagree with you about a players valuation. (I'm right, by the way.)

Yep, Leicester will sell Maddison if they get an offer of £35-£40 million. Spot on.

In fairness, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you were after reactions as opposed to being so far off the money (literally, in this sense). I guess I assumed wrong.

18 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I don't think it takes much more than a casual glance around the media to realise that while Leicester would likely sell, £35m to £40m is way, way below what Leicester would take.