Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

New Sponsor

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don’t claim to be the voice of the fans Purple although I am confident that outside of the social media bubble and in the stands at Carrow Road there are a lot more fans who think like me and Kenny Foggo than the opposite camp would  think is the case, even if us “dinosaurs” are a dying breed.

there are, however, a large group of (in some cases almost self appointed) fans “spokespeople” online who do seem to present themselves as doing so most of whom tend to lean to one side of the fence.

I wasn’t keen on the BK8 sponsorship I will admit. But I will be less keen if we are now told we have to sell another poster due to a £4m hole in our budget. 

Jim, either the BK8 deal was morally right or morally wrong, in keeping with the club's values and images or contrary to them. If, as I believe, morally wrong, then the financial loss becomes irrelevant.

A fun historical analogy - during world war two there was a British commander in the Med who had a decision to make as whether to carry on sustaining heavy losses of ships to evacuate troops or stay safely in port, and he went to sea, of course, saying:

‘It takes the Royal Navy three years to build a new ship. It would take 300 years to rebuild a tradition.'

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don’t claim to be the voice of the fans Purple although I am confident that outside of the social media bubble and in the stands at Carrow Road there are a lot more "fans" who think like me and Kenny Foggo than the opposite camp would  think is the case, even if us dinosaurs are a dying breed.

Fixed it for you... 😜

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Roys of Wroxham

St John the Baptist Cathedrals choir

Cromer Crabs Limited

Visit Great Yarmouth

The Norfolk Broads society

Big Daves ice cream van

Glad you did not list BigVern Chippy as he is is committed to remaining as the main sponsor for Athletico Thurton, he may be fat, sweaty and smells of chip fat but he is loyal..........

4 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The Doomcaster!!

Indeed. The CEO who masterminded the most ambitious transfer window in the club's history.

• Like 1

Couple of points, unlike others on here, I do not and have never said I am the voice of the fans or in a majority. Like Jim says, I know a lot of people, who don't waste time being insulted on here, who have worries about our model.

There are lots of real positive aspects to our club that I have applauded on countless occasions. There are areas of concern that remain.

One issue is that a significant hole in the £5m sponsorship deal, is not great & nor really acceptable when you have been promoted to the most watched league in the world & are self funding. It's a failure that will hit the player budget.

Hopefully all those that complained (I was one) will put their money where their mouth was & pay for shirts to help the budget!

Also, Seems Ben left because of the shift in financial focus away from his desire to improve Carrow Road to the 1st team finances. That I think is a good thing (Not Ben leaving).

Financial loss is irrelevant? Ok! I would suggest it is not to a self funded (fan funded) club.

If Lotus is part of the new sponsorship, do people have any worries about their parent company and use of labour from camps in China? Or is it just semi-naked woman that is unacceptable?

A genuine question. I think both are not acceptable. 

37 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I wasn’t keen on the BK8 sponsorship I will admit. But I will be less keen if we are now told we have to sell another poster due to a £4m hole in our budget. 

Sell a poster ?

The club would happily sell several on here but might find they're a bit short plugging the £4m hole 😀

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Also, Seems Ben left because of the shift in financial focus away from his desire to improve Carrow Road to the 1st team finances. That I think is a good thing (Not Ben leaving).

The EDP summarised it like this:

Fuelled it would appear by an acceptance the bold vision he had to transform the footprint in and around Carrow Road, with stadium expansion taking the capacity up to 35,000 and Norfolk-leading conference and entertainment facilities as part of a drive to make it a multi-purpose venue, would have to wait.

That is not just a bold vision (35,000 capacity as opposed to, say, an increase to about 31,000?) but an very expensive one as well. At any time, and even more so in a pandemic that may or may not end. He really cannot have been surprised that the plan was shelved.

12 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

unlike others on here, I do not and have never said I am the voice of the fans or in a majority

Has anyone on here claimed to be "the voice of the fans or in a majority"? I think you'll find that like yourself, all the posters on here claim nothing more than to be putting forward their own strongly held views about what is in the best interests of the club. That's what a forum is all about isn't it?

55 minutes ago, Felixfan said:

It really is pathetic if a Premier league club cannot get a £5 million + shirt sponsor as this was the minimum about 3 years ago.

Notwithstanding the ethical considerations it should still be possible.

I do agree with this. It seems quite a jump to go from a £5m a year deal with BK8 to only being able to get a "seven figure sum" that does not plug the majority of the gap. I hope that they will have scoured the market so as to minimise losses. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Has anyone on here claimed to be "the voice of the fans or in a majority"? I think you'll find that like yourself, all the posters on here claim nothing more than to be putting forward their own strongly held views about what is in the best interests of the club. That's what a forum is all about isn't it?

I never asked those who disagree to prove they are right by staging a protest / show of force etc. as is alway the case on here. I have also never told them to go and support another club (that's particularly stupid).

It would be interesting if our local media did a poll with the questions of funding etc. They won't as they don't want to upset the owners or board. They are very much the mouth piece for the club, just as the Telegraph is Johnsons.

Putting forward strongly held views is the idea on this forum and its mildly enjoyable at times.

14 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I do agree with this. It seems quite a jump to go from a £5m a year deal with BK8 to only being able to get a "seven figure sum" that does not plug the majority of the gap. I hope that they will have scoured the market so as to minimise losses. 

Just remind me, how many figures are there in £5,000,000? Sticking strictly to why bailey has said we may have got £2,499,999 from the new sponsor.

There is also a reason why most clubs are sponsored by gambling firms, only them and massive multinational conglomerates are willing to throw that kind of money at sponsoring a football club. Realistically, what is the ROI on sponsorship of a small premier League team? The aim of such sponsorship can only be brand recognition or association with a successful, recognisable team. We are not going to be the latter next year, and for brand recognition internationally we are only going to get big audiences for a dozen matches against the big 6. So, who do you think would be willing to sponsor us for £5m pa other than gambling firms, who our fanbase have rallied so hard against?

56 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Jim, either the BK8 deal was morally right or morally wrong, in keeping with the club's values and images or contrary to them. If, as I believe, morally wrong, then the financial loss becomes irrelevant.

A fun historical analogy - during world war two there was a British commander in the Med who had a decision to make as whether to carry on sustaining heavy losses of ships to evacuate troops or stay safely in port, and he went to sea, of course, saying:

‘It takes the Royal Navy three years to build a new ship. It would take 300 years to rebuild a tradition.'

Can it be as black and white as that though Purple? Most companies do things that some people would regard as morally wrong. Who now decides which moral compass applies with a given sponsor?

Are the parent company/backers of Lotus in China squeaky clean? If a group of our fans are offended by them then does that rule them out as well? Or is offending that group for cash ok because they are maybe not so vocal or don;t have the same platform to get to the club? Surely we either have to take a stand that any sponsor has to be morally unquestionable regardless of whether that means we can't bring in the same revenues or we accept that football sponsorship tends to come from certain industries such as betting where certain marketing or other practices may not be as we would like? 

I've already said I wasn;t keen on the BK8 sponsorship as I think the brand is a bit grubby in terms of how they market themselves. I would prefer an alternative sponsor if there are vaible alternatives. That said, we already significantly disadvantage oursleves through being "self funded" and so if we are going to further disadvantage ourselves through a morale crusade then its only going to make things even tougher.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

That said, we already significantly disadvantage oursleves through being "self funded" and so if we are going to further disadvantage ourselves through a morale crusade then its only going to make things even tougher.

Self-funding has hardly been a choice, it was a necessity failing the intervention of a beneficent billionaire investor. Further, the self funding model has proved to be one of the most succesful and effective in the club's history. Finally, I would be massively surprised if £5m in lost revenue would turn out to be the difference between success and failure (and as others have pointed out, who knows how much we would have lost from other sponsors, actual and potential, had we continued with BK8).

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

If Lotus is part of the new sponsorship, do people have any worries about their parent company and use of labour from camps in China? Or is it just semi-naked woman that is unacceptable?

A genuine question. I think both are not acceptable. 

Lotus?  The producer of expensive supercars for the capitalist elite?  I’m not sure that will go down well with some sections of our support.

45 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Presumably our negotiating position is somewhat weakened, given the timeline.

However, based generally on what you post about how this, that and the other should or shouldn't be done re all things NCFC, I imagine you are a phenomenally successful and wealthy businessman in your own right, with sufficient wealth to buy the majority of shares yourself and show us all how to run the club better than the current incumbents.

Or you're just a run of the mill, classic back-seat driver, spouting on on an internet forum.

11 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Presumably our negotiating position is somewhat weakened, given the timeline.

However, based generally on what you post about how this, that and the other should or shouldn't be done re all things NCFC, I imagine you are a phenomenally successful and wealthy businessman in your own right, with sufficient wealth to buy the majority of shares yourself and show us all how to run the club better than the current incumbents.

Or you're just a run of the mill, classic back-seat driver, spouting on on an internet forum.

It's a forum about NCFC opinions, Jim's are as valid (more classy out as well imo) as yours or anyone else, regardless of job wealth etc.

15 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Archant group (publishers of the EDP)  seem to have been overlooked! 

Saving it for the Christmas party.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

My moneys on Bill considering he's very much a fringe poster these days...... 

2 hours ago, Felixfan said:

It really is pathetic if a Premier league club cannot get a £5 million + shirt sponsor as this was the minimum about 3 years ago.

Notwithstanding the ethical considerations it should still be possible.

Given there's every chance we will come bottom again then I can imagine we're not necessarily that attractive a sponsorship option for all companies. Albeit the ones who are happy to promote their product with wiener-based shenanigans are probably less likely to have such qualms and just be happy to get their brand name displayed any which way... But since we seem to have, rightly IMHO, dismissed those firms then our options would seem to not be all that wide.

5 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Is there a sponsor out there that will please everyone?

Kettle Chips - made in Norwich 

4 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Kettle Chips - made in Norwich 

Oh, yes. Sea salt and balsamic vinegar for me, please. 🙂

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Self-funding has hardly been a choice, it was a necessity failing the intervention of a beneficent billionaire investor. Further, the self funding model has proved to be one of the most succesful and effective in the club's history. Finally, I would be massively surprised if £5m in lost revenue would turn out to be the difference between success and failure (and as others have pointed out, who knows how much we would have lost from other sponsors, actual and potential, had we continued with BK8).

£5m is the cost of 3 and a bit Emi Buendias. 😜