Sign in to follow this  

It's notoriously difficult for players from foreign leagues to adjust instantly to the speed and physicality of English football. The fact that Duda wasn't able to do this is no great surprise. 

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

It's notoriously difficult for players from foreign leagues to adjust instantly to the speed and physicality of English football. The fact that Duda wasn't able to do this is no great surprise. 

Although that is true, the speed and physicality surely doesn't explain his ridiculously poor set pieces, and yet Farke seemed to give him this job. 

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Although that is true, the speed and physicality surely doesn't explain his ridiculously poor set pieces, and yet Farke seemed to give him this job. 

Well Farke let Buendia take an awful lot of free kicks last season and he was utterly gash at it. (don't tell Aston Villa though 😉 ). 

• Like 3

I thought he showed moments of quality while he was with us.

There wasn't much time to adjust and he was brought in to immediately change the tide on a failing season.

It was a big ask.

Edited by Chelm Canary
  • Like 3

Had we got him in nice and early for pre season he may have been a success. We’ll never know.

12 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

There wasn't much time to adjust and he was brought in to immediately change the tide on a failing season.

It was a big ask.

This.

He also looked like the type of player who might make a good team better but would struggle to do the same in a stuttering side. Can't have helped that he was on loan and so knew that our survival was immaterial to him.

He was going through an odd moment in his career when he came to Norwich. In the summer he'd been linked with €20m+ moves to some big clubs, but had a falling out with manager Jurgen Klinsmann. This resulted in him being benched at Hertha. He came to Norwich to get some games (it was considered quite the coup for Norwich in Germany) but shortly after he arrived in Norwich Klinsmann was sacked by Hetha and the interim coach said that Duda would be an important part of the team next season. 

Duda looked good in flashes, but was never really engaged in a relegation battle at a team he know he'd not be playing for come what may. The pandemic then caused problems with not being able to bring his family over and he was generally unhappy.

Strangely, once he got back to Hertha it then turned out the coach they had hired full time then didn't want Duda and he was sold to Koln. There is a talented footballer in there and his season with Koln was okay but it seems that the stand out season he had in 18/19 was maybe a one off.

• Thanks 1

Showed moments of promise for us and I thought his style of play would suit us, but as others have said was entrusted with turning the tide on a sinking ship that never really got going. I don't think it helped he was playing up top with Drmic when a large traffic cone would probably have been more use. Across Europe was seen as a big capture at the time but won't be the first international to come to England and struggle to make his mark. Shame his 'goal' didn't go in as I'm sure it would have boosted his confidence, never seemed to really do that well after that game.

Just goes to show, buying the wrong player almost never works out but even when buying the right player things only ever work out half the time. I recall watching a certain Mr H Kane in a Norwich shirt and thinking he will do well to scratch a living in league 1 or 2 🤣.

• Like 1

Did great against Bournmouth but then after that upon realizing his team were going down and he wast at his best in a strange country and a divison he did not understand he struggled.

Should not have surprised anyone

All he did when he got the ball was pass it no more than 5 yards sideways to another player and just stand there and ball watch. Reminded me of when Ozil downed tools for Arsenal he played the exact same way. His continued use of Duda when it was clear he couldn't be bothered is one of few very decisions that Farke has made that I just can't explain

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

All he did when he got the ball was pass it no more than 5 yards sideways to another player and just stand there and ball watch. Reminded me of when Ozil downed tools for Arsenal he played the exact same way. His continued use of Duda when it was clear he couldn't be bothered is one of few very decisions that Farke has made that I just can't explain

You're forgetting that great cross he put in...from our own left-back area for the opposition to score.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

You're forgetting that great cross he put in...from our own left-back area for the opposition to score.

Yeah, I'm so glad Giannoulis hasn't done that this season. He'd be rubbish if he had've done.

Wait a second...

15 hours ago, kirku said:

Yeah, I'm so glad Giannoulis hasn't done that this season. He'd be rubbish if he had've done.

Wait a second...

I think Dimi has been one of our best loan signings ever and another great bit of business to make it permanent by Webber. Skipp probably takes that award, but Dimi slotted into a defence that went on a run of only conceding twice (one of those the mistake you pointed out) in 8 games I think it was. Plus he immediately got forward and within minutes set up Emi to make amends. Classy!

2 hours ago, AJ said:

I think Dimi has been one of our best loan signings ever and another great bit of business to make it permanent by Webber. Skipp probably takes that award, but Dimi slotted into a defence that went on a run of only conceding twice (one of those the mistake you pointed out) in 8 games I think it was. Plus he immediately got forward and within minutes set up Emi to make amends. Classy!

While I'm not sure about "ever", I agree in general.

I was making the point that one aberration does not define a player

Edited by kirku

On 14/06/2021 at 22:30, Chelm Canary said:

It was a big ask.

This.

For me, like when Vrancic first arrived, there were clear flashes of quality. One could argue that he struggled to deliver consistently but lets not forget the context of his arrival. We wanted him in the summer but his then manager wanted to him to stay, then that manager was sacked and he fell out of favour.

Then he came to us on loan. Was thrown into a relegation dog fight in a new country in one of the worlds best leagues. This was then impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Was he better than Stiepermann? For my money, yes. He also had physicality which was lacking elsewhere. But like Rupp, it just wasn't the right time and it didn't work out that season. I do wonder what he would have been like if we had him from the start of the season or had kept him past the end of that season.

Duda is clearly a decent player, and there are some reasonable mitigating factors why he wasn't great for us, but I don't think anything can excuse his awful set piece delivery.

On 15/06/2021 at 13:34, Capt. Pants said:

The lottery of 2nd half season loans. Good player but not interested in us whatsoever.

The winter window was handled really oddly in my opinion.

Duda was a signing that seemed to suggest we thought we could still stay up. Yet we also let almost all of our defensive cover walk away and left us threadbare at the back thus really hurting our ability to stay up. Throw in Rupp who seemed like a utility player aimed more at Championship promotion and it seemed like we didn't have a coherent strategy. 

Perhaps it wasn't so much the physicality or the workload but our style of play that did not suit him. He was a key player in Hertha under the coaching of Dardai, who is known for the excessive workload he exposes players to. IN that respect there must have been  little difference to Farke's regime. However, while Dardai's teams usually run a lot around, their game is a lot less possession-oriented than ours, it was almost a hallmark of their style to win games by having less than 40% on the ball, while being fastidious  about maintaining defensive formation (or breaking them up as briefly as possible).