Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

One of the greatest goal to ever be scored at the Euros

Just now, It's Character Forming said:

Fair comment.

No disrespect to David Marshall, but Rinat Dasayev was also a far better goalie, and he was beaten all ends up right there.

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

WTF was Marshall doing in the centre circle?

Looking for his next contract........ ☺ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I don't suppose Hanley will much like that being repeated everywhere for the next 20 years......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I don't suppose Hanley will much like that being repeated everywhere for the next 20 years......

Possibly not, but he can't be blamed for Marshall going for an afternoon stroll

Cracking finish from the lad though, great composure to find the net from there when many would have shanked it high and wide

Edited by AJ

45 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

Nothing to see here...

Aging Scottish keeper beaten by shot from the dark side of the moon

Guy who scored in his interview said he noticed the keeper standing further up during the first half and was looking out for it 2nd.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Guy who scored in his interview said he noticed the keeper standing further up during the first half and was looking out for it 2nd.

I wonder how common it is for players to have clarity of mind to pick up on that kind of a signal?

It's kind of...almost creepy. Like you prey on a specific weakness. Amazing stuff.

23 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Good spot then, he was obviously ready to give it a go as soon as the ball broke toward him.

Reminds me of David Seaman conceding that goal to Brazil.

1 minute ago, It's Character Forming said:

Good spot then, he was obviously ready to give it a go as soon as the ball broke toward him.

Reminds me of David Seaman conceding that goal to Brazil.

Or Zaragoza.

14 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Van Basten and Gazzas were better. What the hell was David Marshall doing??? 

To this day I don't think I've seen a better goal than the van Basten volley. How the hell did it go in? Cross was too deep, Soviet keeper was in top form, Marco had some ankle issues (didn't he always?), ridiculous goal on a huge stage. Took people, including the Dutch boss Michels, a few seconds to realise he'd cracked it in. Still unbelievable, 33 years later

• Like 4

Nothing will top Van Basten it was an amazing strike, but Schick’s was an outstanding strike, I couldn’t help but jump out my seat, got a lot off looks! 😉

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

Have Scotland seriously not got any better Goalkeeping options than this old dinosaur who nearly got relegated to league 1 this season ??

15 minutes ago, Mike w said:

brilliant from own half. just got to be perfect to score from that distance

He was just in the Scotland half when he shot. 49.7 yards from goal I think the caption said! 

Van Basten's goal was an entirely different kettle of fish, I would not compare the two.  Shik's goal was not just long range, he also bent it like Beckham. Even if Marshall would have stood closer to the goal (let's say at the edge of the box), he would have had little chance, because of the curve in the ball's flight, which made it extremely difficult to calculate the point of any possible interception (while running backwards).      

• Like 1

Several goals better but was still impressive to see,  so many efforts roll before landing, or fly high wide and ugly.

I thought Marshall had a decent game (so did Hanley) but both goals came through defensive lapses.    As for Marshalls odd high starting point for me it was a team tactic - try to squeeze space for the opponents so that scotland werent open to the ball over the top;  Marshall was regularly a long way out,  enough for the striker to notice it esp,  it just failed in a very costly way when teh one in a hundred accurate effort came off.    

Apparently (according to Rob Green on MOTD last night) goalkeepers are told to be there by the coach, so they can play as sweeper. Given that Rob Green is hardly a tournament goalkeeping master, a very large piece of salt with that.....