Jim Smith

I notice Emi cites Villa’s ambition as a key factor

9 hours ago, NWC said:

Emi didn't even make the 23 squad against Chile yesterday! 

Should never have signed for Villa then. He was the new Messi til he signed for that bunch of jokers. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Three competitive games for that Argentina squad so far and he hasn't made the bench. Maybe he's not quite as good as we all thought? Maybe we got😮 a good deal?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

And we had proof of that very recently. If a would-be buyer came along with the right plan for Norwich City, and sold it in the right way, not just to fans but to the whole community, I don't believe S&J would stand in the way, but if they tried they simply would not be able to.

If, as we have seen, enough fans cared enough to successfully campaign against a sponsorship deal, forcing the club into an embarrassing climbdown, then the public clamour there would be in favour of a  righteous takeover would be quite overwhelming. The majority shareholding would count for nothing in the face of the voice of the people.

This is the sticking point. The only counter-argument i've seen is "Well we haven't told everyone the clubs for sale". The only time i've really seen that situation arise is in desperation from existing owners who are in a position where they have to sell.

If someone is genuinely interested, and not just a passing-by cowboy, we'd know about it.

Ok, can someone please wake me up when a player DOESN'T cite a clubs ambition for whom they have just signed for please?

I'd love to see the day a player signs for a club and says something along the lines of:

"Nuffink to do with ambition, just wanted a change of scenery. Ambition doesn't bother me. As long as they pay me good money to support my lavish lifestyle and there is a good nightlife scene in the area I am happy. After all, what is the Champions League?!! Never done nuffink for me!"

Edit: and just to emphasise this, just watch players that join the "taaaarrrn" down the rooood cite they are doing so for the clubs ambition too!! 

Edited by chicken
  • Haha 1

On 14/06/2021 at 20:28, cornish sam said:

I would rather they limit our ambition by restricting our spending to our means than Peter ridsdale esque 'chasing the dream' spending...

There are plenty of teams who have thrown money at ambition and failed, our ambition is to prove that you can do things differently, I am proud of that ambition.

Even better is that it is an ambition to do things "the right way". We won't gamble with huge debts and the existence of the club. Many of those wealthy owners that people wish we had, have essentially mortgaged the club to pay back their investment like a greedy already cash rich landlord. The club is then held to ransom by them until they get bored of it.

I am proud that our club has stuck two fingers up at that and tried to plot a course that makes us sustainable so that we can turn down silly, stupid and pathetic offers like Cullum's. We also have had investment in the club in more recent times, but they left when the going got tough... which sort of says it all really doesn't it.

Just look at the US owner of Villa... hardly helped them did he?

Also worth noting, as I have pointed out elsewhere, Buendia hasn't made the Argentina Copa America full stop. Not just the 23.

3 hours ago, chicken said:

Ok, can someone please wake me up when a player DOESN'T cite a clubs ambition for whom they have just signed for please?

I'd love to see the day a player signs for a club and says something along the lines of:

"Nuffink to do with ambition, just wanted a change of scenery. Ambition doesn't bother me. As long as they pay me good money to support my lavish lifestyle and there is a good nightlife scene in the area I am happy. After all, what is the Champions League?!! Never done nuffink for me!"

Edit: and just to emphasise this, just watch players that join the "taaaarrrn" down the rooood cite they are doing so for the clubs ambition too!! 

Ben Marshall said that? 

On 14/06/2021 at 13:46, Jim Smith said:

In his move.

Do you not think top 26 and being a stepping stone for players to move on to bigger clubs was enough?

That's code for having an owner with a s**tload of wonga.

Fact is, in time he will outgrown Villa. He should have waited further into the window, when I’m sure one of the so called big six would have offered us more money, and him a far better platform to show his quality.

Signing early in the window is best for all parties.

Villa get the player they want. We get more time to get the player we need to replace a player that was always going to leave. Emi gets a full pre-season with his new club.

15 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

Fact is, in time he will outgrown Villa. He should have waited further into the window, when I’m sure one of the so called big six would have offered us more money, and him a far better platform to show his quality.

Not necessarily. If they move for him in a year or two's time, hello, sell-on clause.

19 hours ago, hogesar said:

This is the sticking point. The only counter-argument i've seen is "Well we haven't told everyone the clubs for sale". The only time i've really seen that situation arise is in desperation from existing owners who are in a position where they have to sell.

If someone is genuinely interested, and not just a passing-by cowboy, we'd know about it.

You are not going to go to war to buy Norwich City unless you are a Norwich City fan. To that extent I agree with you. We aren’t Arsenal or Man U with all the kudos owning them brings.  interest from neutral third parties will not be to the extent they are prepared to launch a hostile takeover. At present anyone wanting to buy us knows it’s going to be a battle.

that’s markedly different though to the owners/club letting it be known they want and will facilitate investment or actively marketing the club for sale with a “can do attitude” to facilitating any deal with the right person.

11 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

I doubt it. The so called big six are - Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs.

Honestly, the only one of those teams who would take a gamble on a player in Buendia's position is Arsenal and going by the general rumours etc, I'm not sure they saw him as worth the overall £60m+ package that Villa have invested in him.

You could argue Spurs but is he really better than Son, Ali, Moura, Lamela? Lamela perhaps, Spurs are also famously tight with money and I'm yet to be convinced that they would invest in such a deal for a player who wasn't standout in his one and only premier league campaign to date. And he'd be a bench warmer behind Son and Ali at least. 

Emi is good but still has areas to work on. His free kicks and corners being one. I think he has been quite savvy actually/ he will start and play for villa whose financial backing means they are likely to be an established premiership side. He would not guarantee games at a top six side 

1 hour ago, Bradwell canary said:

As I posted in the Madison thread:

If Webber was telling the truth about him wanting to go to villa then we were better off getting rid sooner. We can all sit here and say "he could have gone to a bigger club if we waited" but one would assume that his agent had already been talking to the bigger clubs and the feedback was that it was unlikely to happen this summer. If he hadn't or the feedback had have been that there was interest then he wasn't doing his job properly... The fact no one came in and tried to gazump villa (like Leeds did with Gunn) implies that there was no bidding war to be had

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

You are not going to go to war to buy Norwich City unless you are a Norwich City fan. To that extent I agree with you. We aren’t Arsenal or Man U with all the kudos owning them brings.  interest from neutral third parties will not be to the extent they are prepared to launch a hostile takeover. At present anyone wanting to buy us knows it’s going to be a battle.

that’s markedly different though to the owners/club letting it be known they want and will facilitate investment or actively marketing the club for sale with a “can do attitude” to facilitating any deal with the right person.

The obvious example is Tony Bloom at Brighton - a lifelong fan who happened to make a fortune from playing poker and investing it, ironically enough, in online gambling. Revered by Brighton fans (who seem capable of looking beyond a short term marketing campaign). I wonder if our fanbase would welcome someone with the same history?