Jim Smith

I notice Emi cites Villa’s ambition as a key factor

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

Surely it's fairly obvious though that our finances do put a limit on our ambitions? Or at least realistic, shorter term ambitions which is generally what players will care about.

Of course they do in the realistic football world. I've never argued that. We can't spent 40m on an Emi Buendia.

But Jim made it clear he felt the club placed a limit on ambition regardless of finances which is more nonsensical rubbish. If we could win the prem without spending money why wouldn't our club want that?

19 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

But that is a lie... As quoted by the Pink un

"At various AGMs during the last four years, the ambitions of the club have been outlined, which has included the aim to become an established club inside the top 26 of English football."

It's crystal clear. Even the Pink Un have articles asking if it should be set higher. Or maybe the journalists are making us stuff? 

Are you being purposefully thick? Why should it be my responsibility to explain basics to you. 

What you've just quoted is crystal clear. That we have set a minimum expectation of being in the top 26. The top 26 includes, by its very nature and definition,  the top, winning place in the Premier league, champions league places, Europa places, top half, mid table, bottom half...the top 26 includes the utmost highest position. 

It is by definition therefore not a limit or cap but a minimum expectation. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Are you being purposefully thick? Why should it be my responsibility to explain basics to you. 

What you've just quoted is crystal clear. That we have set a minimum expectation of being in the top 26. The top 26 includes, by its very nature and definition,  the top, winning place in the Premier league, champions league places, Europa places, top half, mid table, bottom half...the top 26 includes the utmost highest position. 

Afraid I have to agree with Jim and Kenny on this one, Hoggy. It is typically parochial of our owners to limit their ambitions to this planet. There is a whole footballing galaxy out there just waiting to be conquered, but you would never know it from the way the Stowmarket Two speak...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Afraid I have to agree with Jim and Kenny on this one, Hoggy. It is typically parochial of our owners to limit their ambitions to this planet. There is a whole footballing galaxy out there just waiting to be conquered, but you would never know it from the way the Stowmarket Two speak...

Beautifully put it really is very distressing how they are grinding the club into the ground with their lack of ambition

36 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Of course they do in the realistic football world. I've never argued that. We can't spent 40m on an Emi Buendia.

But Jim made it clear he felt the club placed a limit on ambition regardless of finances which is more nonsensical rubbish. If we could win the prem without spending money why wouldn't our club want that?

They have chosen to limit our ambition by choosing to limit our financial strength. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

They have chosen to limit our ambition by choosing to limit our financial strength. 

I would rather they limit our ambition by restricting our spending to our means than Peter ridsdale esque 'chasing the dream' spending...

There are plenty of teams who have thrown money at ambition and failed, our ambition is to prove that you can do things differently, I am proud of that ambition.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Ah the insults... When you state an ambition, you set the target / highlight what you would most want to achieve. For example, I'd like to win a cup or I'd like to be in the top 10. Our club, have stated on many occasions that our ambition is Top 26. Zoe Ward 2019 said it... If they hit top 26, everyone can pay themselves on the back. I, along with countless others, think it should be higher. 

Ever heard of the term, shoot for the stars you might land on the moon... Ours seems to be, let's see if we can get a bus to Wymondham.

Try to keep it civil, there's a good chap! 

1 minute ago, cornish sam said:

I would rather they limit our ambition by restricting our spending to our means than Peter ridsdale esque 'chasing the dream' spending...

There are plenty of teams who have thrown money at ambition and failed, our ambition is to prove that you can do things differently, I am proud of that ambition.

For every failure there are examples of sensible investment (which is needed to survive at top flight). 

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

For every failure there are examples of sensible investment (which is needed to survive at top flight). 

I would argue that for every example of sensible investment there are three of failure.

Disregarding that though, I am proud of our ambition to take a different path and hopefully show that football isn't just about who has the biggest cheque book, but can still be the game I fell in love with 35 years ago...

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Queue the multiple explanations of why looking for additional investment will result in financial ruin and the club playing Kings Lynn in 4 seasons time from the hoards of posters whose  dreams have been slowly eroded away year after year until such time they welcome the pain and suffering caused by their captors like a warm security blanket 

• Like 1

i think Emi said " i have Supported Villa since i was growing up in Argentina , in fact i have a Great Grandma who was born a few streets away from the Ground and that is why i had to sign ,it is in my Blood "

• Haha 1

Just now, cornish sam said:

I would argue that for every example of sensible investment there are three of failure.

Disregarding that though, I am proud of our ambition to take a different path and hopefully show that football isn't just about who has the biggest cheque book, but can still be the game I fell in love with 35 years ago...

That's fair enough. I just want us to have some kind of cheque book... We could achieve so much more with the 1st team. Being competitive in the top flight would make me proud. I remember when Chase ruined a great opportunity to be up there, I hope this generation doesn't experience the same...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

That's demonstrably false.

You list successes.

I'll list failures. Then we will work out the odds on performing better than we are now.

Then we can work out which one of us is happy to gamble the entire clubs future and at what odds.

Thats completely fair, right?

6 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

We have zero ambition beyond looking good and being respected in the community. Those are not bad in themselves but really need to be matched on the pitch, which, to me seems to be more and more becoming secondary by the day.

6 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

We all know our club has zero ambition and won’t have under the current ownership 

why would any player with ambition to win a big trophy ever stay or join us

God you lot are a grumpy bunch

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Queue the multiple explanations of why looking for additional investment will result in financial ruin and the club playing Kings Lynn in 4 seasons time from the hoards of posters whose  dreams have been slowly eroded away year after year until such time they welcome the pain and suffering caused by their captors like a warm security blanket 

No one has ever said that.

Read my above post.

There's posters on here with significant background in investment, finance and even football who seem to have a much better hold on the likelihood of investment, and the likelihood of how it would shape our club. No one can speak with certainty but basic research over the past 20 years will give us a solid indication.

7 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

In his move.

Do you not think top 26 and being a stepping stone for players to move on to bigger clubs was enough?

Would he still have been impressed by their ‘ambition’ if they hadn’t offered him £80,000 a week?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Would he still have been impressed by their ‘ambition’ if they hadn’t offered him £80,000 a week?

A fair point..

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No one has ever said that.

Read my above post.

There's posters on here with significant background in investment, finance and even football who seem to have a much better hold on the likelihood of investment, and the likelihood of how it would shape our club. No one can speak with certainty but basic research over the past 20 years will give us a solid indication.

I have been successful in my field for over 40 years and all businesses need to to keep their best talent and have a workable cash flow in which to carry out well thought out plans..

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I have been successful in my field for over 40 years and all businesses need to to keep their best talent and have a workable cash flow in which to carry out well thought out plans..

If you think it sensible to compare football to pretty much any other working business model then I'd question it.

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If you think it sensible to compare football to pretty much any other working business model then I'd question it.

Professional football is a business. I agree it is a more volatile business to be in but no reason to try and achieve your goals (I am not suggesting our current board are not, not trying to achieve what they want). 

10 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Ah the insults... When you state an ambition, you set the target / highlight what you would most want to achieve. For example, I'd like to win a cup or I'd like to be in the top 10. Our club, have stated on many occasions that our ambition is Top 26. Zoe Ward 2019 said it... If they hit top 26, everyone can pay themselves on the back. I, along with countless others, think it should be higher. 

Ever heard of the term, shoot for the stars you might land on the moon... Ours seems to be, let's see if we can get a bus to Wymondham.

Try to keep it civil, there's a good chap! 

You're supporting the wrong club, you should be grateful for how we're run. It's amazing. Most Norwich fans actually think they've been spoilt over the last decade or so, lots of promotions, drama, great players, late goals - rarely ever is it  boring, most clubs in the pyramid would kill to be in our position. 

We all want top 10, but appreciate that under the current football structure, it's nearly impossible, outside a plucky one-off like Sheffield U. We don't have the money, and I'd rather keep the soul of my club intact than sell it to some oil tycoon with shady connections that do business in a human rights hell hole. The reality is, even Arsenal can no longer attract top players. But hell, we could break the bank, 35 mill gets you a player like Emi but spend another 10 mill and you get greatness like Timo Werner...

Norwich City FC has tons of ambition, but its measured, and intertwined with reality, our over all objective is being sustainable, not being a Portsmouth or countless others that have been wreckless and can only dream of being in our position.

Edited by Wardogz
  • Like 2

Try talking to WBA fans with their 'wealthy' Chinese owner...or Wolves fans who have won less than us under their wealthy owners and are now selling their best players.

Or Spurs fans who are now having to consider selling their best player to fund their stadium they cannot fill... or Arsenal. Man U, Man City, Chelsea fans who nearly saw their club move lock stock and barrel to somewhere else in the World for their 'home' matches and ignore their 'legacy' fans altogether.

1 hour ago, Wardogz said:

You're supporting the wrong club, you should be grateful for how we're run. It's amazing. Most Norwich fans actually think they've been spoilt over the last decade or so, lots of promotions, drama, great players, late goals - rarely ever is it  boring, most clubs in the pyramid would kill to be in our position. 

We all want top 10, but appreciate that under the current football structure, it's nearly impossible, outside a plucky one-off like Sheffield U. We don't have the money, and I'd rather keep the soul of my club intact than sell it to some oil tycoon with shady connections that do business in a human rights hell hole. The reality is, even Arsenal can no longer attract top players. But hell, we could break the bank, 35 mill gets you a player like Emi but spend another 10 mill and you get greatness like Timo Werner...

Norwich City FC has tons of ambition, but its measured, and intertwined with reality, our over all objective is being sustainable, not being a Portsmouth or countless others that have been wreckless and can only dream of being in our position.

The minute you said "you should support another club" I stopped reading, as no one, especially some random stranger on a forum, tells me that. When you've done at least 3 seasons home and away including Friendlies, see us win and lose at Wembley in competition for trophies, been abroad, stood on the River End, see us finish 3rd in premiership..... its my club you don't get to say otherwise. I have seen excitement and drama you probably couldn't cope with...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

The minute you said "you should support another club" I stopped reading, as no one, especially some random stranger on a forum, tells me that. When you've done at least 3 seasons home and away including Friendlies, see us win and lose at Wembley in competition for trophies, been abroad, stood on the River End, see us finish 3rd in premiership..... its my club you don't get to say otherwise. I have seen excitement and drama you probably couldn't cope with...

Yet, seemingly you have learnt nothing

1 hour ago, Wardogz said:

not being a Portsmouth or countless others that have been wreckless and can only dream of being in our position.

Pompey are always a really interesting one when people discuss ambition.

On one hand they've spent the last decade in the bottom two leagues and have experienced huge financial difficulties.

However, since the turn of the millennium, they've had the same amount of Premier League seasons as us (7 vs 7), have a higher finishing position than we've managed (8th vs 11th), two FA Cup finals, one FA Cup win and have played in Europe.

I'm not saying the earlier 10 years makes the later 10 years worth it but there is certainly a part of me that would take watching my team lift the FA Cup in exchange for the risk of a few years in League One. 

• Like 1

I have always said that to see City win the FA Cup would make me a happy contented man.

Unless there is a huge financial crash in football, the chances of seeing us anywhere near the top 4 of the PL again is zero.

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

And despite your wealth of exposure you still don't get it....

P.S you did read my whole post.

Edited by Wardogz

6 minutes ago, duke63 said:

I have always said that to see City win the FA Cup would make me a happy contented man.

Unless there is a huge financial crash in football, the chances of seeing us anywhere near the top 4 of the PL again is zero.

Same for me.

I've said before, I am envious of Fulham fans for what they got to experience on that UEFA Cup run, or Boro fans for their League Cup win and time in Europe. I'm too young to have really enjoyed our games v Munich and Inter and wasn't born when we lifted the League Cup last time. 

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

Pompey are always a really interesting one when people discuss ambition.

On one hand they've spent the last decade in the bottom two leagues and have experienced huge financial difficulties.

However, since the turn of the millennium, they've had the same amount of Premier League seasons as us (7 vs 7), have a higher finishing position than we've managed (8th vs 11th), two FA Cup finals, one FA Cup win and have played in Europe.

I'm not saying the earlier 10 years makes the later 10 years worth it but there is certainly a part of me that would take watching my team lift the FA Cup in exchange for the risk of a few years in League One. 

The risk isn't just limited to League One, it could be financial ruin and no club. 

We could spend 100 mill next season, quadruple the wage bill, but we'd still be favourites for the bottom 3, only this time, the consequences of relegation could be devastating. 

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Same for me.

I've said before, I am envious of Fulham fans for what they got to experience on that UEFA Cup run, or Boro fans for their League Cup win and time in Europe. I'm too young to have really enjoyed our games v Munich and Inter and wasn't born when we lifted the League Cup last time. 

If you’re envious of Middlesbrough because of one League Cup win nearly 20 years ago, you really need to talk a long hard look at yourself. If you would seriously swap what we’ve done in recent years for what they have , then I suggest you are crazy.