king canary

The NCFC 'what could have been XI'

Just on the ‘past their best’ - Dejan Stefanovic would be there, excellent player in his day….sadly just a year or two before he was with us!

Edited by Branston Pickle

12 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Did we actually sign Rufur before finding out we couldn't play him?

My memory fails me atm

...yep, a work permit fail. #earlybrexit

In recent years Domagoj Vida

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Just on the ‘past their best’ - Dejan Stefanovic would be there, excellent player in his day….sadly just a year or two before he was with us!

Thought he looked really good, but then suffered a serious injury?

Memory may be failing me, but I'm sure he looked really assured and we were saying that he was just what we needed at the time.

Admittedly the bar was set quite low at that time with the amount of dross we had.

• Like 1

Are we going for an XI of the best players linked with us, as some of those mentioned were utter dogshoite. Lucas Biglia has got to be in the best XI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Rap/grime legend Kano

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/robinson-kane.htm

I believe he was in the same U13's team as Ian Henderson.

Wow, just noticed this line on there..

Not your steortyped DJ hoodlum, Kano passed his GSCEs and has an A level in graphic design.

What a bizarre and condescending sentence. He's won a Mobo!

Essentially, "oh look a black man who didn't get kicked out of school at 13"

Wait until he finds out that JME has a first class degree.

12 hours ago, king canary said:

That one is true but apparently he was already playing for Man U and Fergie used to send youngsters out to other clubs just to experience what it was like. So while he was here there was no chance of him ever actually signing.

Wasnt Kit Carson involed in this one? Will try to find the link but I think he'd managed to get him to Norwich for a trial and tried to sign him. The line I remember is that he tried to get him to sign but he shyly said, 'Sorry I've already signed for Man Utd'

Lucky escape for Becks perhaps

I seen to remember Norwich were heavily linked with a striker called Vladen Lukic. I remember putting this in a letter I wrote to John Deehan when I was a little kid.

Also remember being linked with Pascal Simpson.

Also remember being glued to Teletext as a kid when we were signing Simon Howarth, then he failed a medical

On 14/06/2021 at 10:49, king canary said:

Imagine a striker force of Hartson and Sibierski with Elmander just off them.

The lack of pace would be something else.

They would need pace to chase the bad touch they all have 👀

On 14/06/2021 at 10:04, lake district canary said:

Still playing at 38, despite that hunchback.......

You’ll be having the WOKE brigade on your mentioning Hunchback it’s now the bad back posture 

On 14/06/2021 at 09:25, PurpleCanary said:

If we had got  Toivonen we would have stayed up. Dean Windass - the probable cause of O'Neill leaving.

I had always believed that O'Neil left because Chase offered him a substantial  (£10m springs to mind) transfer budget as part of the deal to get him & O'Neil said he would take 3 months to have a good look at what he had before spending any money.

When he went back to the Chairman for the money three months later, Chase reportedly said that he 'didn't recall anything about transfer funds being made available'.

O'Neil's subsequent actions showed what he thought of that.........

Dean Windass may have been one of the players O'Neil wanted funds for, but I can't recall exactly from so many years ago.  

On 14/06/2021 at 12:11, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Did we actually sign Rufur before finding out we couldn't play him?

My memory fails me atm

From memory, didn't he have a brother, both from New Zealand and he left us, ended up at Bayern Munich and became European Footballer Of The Year?

No fault of the club, just didn't tick all the boxes for a work permit.

39 minutes ago, Cornwall Canaryfan said:

I had always believed that O'Neil left because Chase offered him a substantial  (£10m springs to mind) transfer budget as part of the deal to get him & O'Neil said he would take 3 months to have a good look at what he had before spending any money.

When he went back to the Chairman for the money three months later, Chase reportedly said that he 'didn't recall anything about transfer funds being made available'.

Dean Windass may have been one of the players O'Neil wanted funds for, but I can't recall exactly from so many years ago.  

From my memory it was just Windass that was the reason for O'Neills departure. 
Chase agreeing to £10M seems quite unlikey, and a high figure. 

A quick google search, returns lots of Windass references, and Chase / O'Neill not getting on, due to O'Neil playing things out in the press, rather then the board room. It also refers to liking to get his own way & be centre of attention, so a clash of ego's too id suspect.   

46 minutes ago, Cornwall Canaryfan said:

I don't think there is much doubt Windass was one of the targets, and probably the main one. And what wasn't obvious at the time, but became apparent later, was that the money just wasn't there to back up a promise of funds for transfers, if one had been made. O'Neill joined in June 1995 and resigned in December, and in March 1996 the banks forced the fire sale of Ward and Newsome.

On 14/06/2021 at 10:35, Fiery Zac said:

Hartson 

Some past it players were still great ..

To be fair Molby was class even then although not very mobile.

David Rocastle was another past his best but still oozed class. 

I suppose Dion Dublin was past it too but another good player.

2 hours ago, glory.win or die. said:

Dublin, whilst initially frowned upon as past it when he signed was absolutely class for us. 

Great example to the youngsters, and put in a decent shift too. 

On 14/06/2021 at 09:49, king canary said:

We had some high quality near misses under McNally didn't we? Toby Alderweirald and Kamil Koulibaly have both had amazing careers and both seemed really close to signing.  

Alderweirald was another one that visited and didn't fancy it wasn't he?

Derek Riordan used to be my favourite regular linked to player. Seemed like we were linked with him all of the time for a good 2-3 years.

On 14/06/2021 at 22:40, The Great Mass Debater said:

I seen to remember Norwich were heavily linked with a striker called Vladen Lukic. I remember putting this in a letter I wrote to John Deehan when I was a little kid.

Just had a flashback to being a kid in 1995, I probably wouldn't have thought about this since then but as soon as you mentioned that name it took me back, I can't remember whether he was being touted to sign the summer before we got relegated or after Gunn got injured, we sold Robins and were struggling for goals.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Derek Riordan used to be my favourite regular linked to player. Seemed like we were linked with him all of the time for a good 2-3 years.

Yeah Riordan was always mentioned. Wasn't Clinton Morrison another for a few windows?

• Like 1

On 16/06/2021 at 18:16, glory.win or die. said:

Wonder what a 'big name XI' might look like...in terms of the most famous names to have played for us at the time of playing?

Corrigan

Helveg    Dublin   Steve Walsh?

Rocastle  Molby  Peters  Huckerby

Channon   Chivers  Cottee

Subs..Asa Hartford, Martin O'Neill, Hartson