king canary

The NCFC 'what could have been XI'

After seeing someone mention Linvoy Primus in another thread, I was thinking who would make a team of players who were strongly linked with us but never actually signed?

Obviously the strike force has to be Shola Ameobi playing next to Quagliarella. Primus in central defence. Carl Cort doesn't count as he actually signed for us in the end.

Who else makes the cut?

• Like 1

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

Alderweireld, can't remember Ameobi being linked with us. 

It was the Roeder years, when he came we were constantly linked with Ameobi on here and in the wider press. I swear to this day I did see him at Carrow Road but nothing ever came of it.

Reminds me of the Sensible Soccer team, that contained the team we could have had, if we'd kept hold of them... 

Just now, king canary said:

It was the Roeder years, when he came we were constantly linked with Ameobi on here and in the wider press. I swear to this day I did see him at Carrow Road but nothing ever came of it.

To be fair I'm getting on these days, memory not what it was but I just don't have any recollection of links 😂

Fabio Quagliamodo, or something. Only linked briefly, don't know whatever happened to him... 

There's a guy who I only discovered through FM that was in Norwich City's academy before moving to Chelsea and then Bayern Munich.

Always turns into a superstar. 

Bright Arrey-Mbi

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

If we had got  Toivonen we would have stayed up. Dean Windass - the probable cause of O'Neill leaving.

Koulibaly. According to McNally a done deal (fee, wages etc) until Napoli pulled the plug at the last minute because they couldn't get a replacement in.

13 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

To be fair I'm getting on these days, memory not what it was but I just don't have any recollection of links 😂

Just to check, I stuck 'Ameobi' into the search bar at the top (just topic titles) and got 4 pages worth of threads from 2008 mainly 😂

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Koulibaly. According to McNally a done deal (fee, wages etc) until Napoli pulled the plug at the last minute because they couldn't get a replacement in.

We had some high quality near misses under McNally didn't we? Toby Alderweirald and Kamil Koulibaly have both had amazing careers and both seemed really close to signing.  

• Like 1

Sure Ive seen somewhere that Becks had a trial here - not sure how true that one is though. 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Sure Ive seen somewhere that Becks had a trial here - not sure how true that one is though. 

That one is true but apparently he was already playing for Man U and Fergie used to send youngsters out to other clubs just to experience what it was like. So while he was here there was no chance of him ever actually signing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yup, was going to say him.

How about a ‘well past their best’ XI - Walsh, Cottee, Molby, Fairclough, Corrigan, Stuart spring to mind 

Edited by Branston Pickle

18 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Becks mentioned it on the Graham Norton Show when he was on the couch with Hugh Jackman. Graham was asking them both about their connections to NCFC. 

26 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

How about a ‘well past their best’ XI - Walsh, Cottee, Molby, Fairclough, Corrigan, Stuart spring to mind 

Hartson 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Elmander

Imagine a striker force of Hartson and Sibierski with Elmander just off them.

The lack of pace would be something else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Just to check, I stuck 'Ameobi' into the search bar at the top (just topic titles) and got 4 pages worth of threads from 2008 mainly 😂

Oh man, wasn't it the mysterious Good News Gordon who caused a proper froth with his "Ameobi is in the building" post...?