Maltesecanary

Leeds Agree Fee For Gunn

9 hours ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

No, not 'only' LDC - you can include me too.

Having a high-quality back-up keeper is imperative. It's all-to-easy to be distracted by shiny-object syndrome for the next outfield player; preventing a goal against is as important as scoring one at the other end. 

Me too

9 hours ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

No, not 'only' LDC - you can include me too.

Having a high-quality back-up keeper is imperative. It's all-to-easy to be distracted by shiny-object syndrome for the next outfield player; preventing a goal against is as important as scoring one at the other end. 

You won’t find (m)any of our supporters who don’t think we need a decent back-up keeper - the query is more so whether Gunn is that player.  For all we know our back-up keeper might be needed a fair bit so we need to be sure whoever is up to it.  In terms of Gunn, the pertinent points are that he’s gone to third choice at Saints, and ended up not being first choice when on loan to Stoke who pulled the plug on a transfer.  There are alarm bells enough to make you wonder if he’s ‘lost’ something, but I suppose if SW/DF think he’s what we need then fine.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

You won’t find (m)any of our supporters who don’t think we need a decent back-up keeper - the query is more so whether Gunn is that player.  For all we know our back-up keeper might be needed a fair bit so we need to be sure whoever is up to it.  In terms of Gunn, the pertinent points are that he’s gone to third choice at Saints, and ended up not being first choice when on loan to Stoke who pulled the plug on a transfer.  There are alarm bells enough to make you wonder if he’s ‘lost’ something, but I suppose if SW/DF think he’s what we need then fine.

Another pertinent point is that he was absolutely superb all season long when he was here before (but for some reason you've omitted that pertinent point). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toftwood said:

I love these pertinent points!

I’m sure Til can find us a photo of some.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Another pertinent point is that he was absolutely superb all season long when he was here before (but for some reason you've omitted that pertinent point). 

Yes, he did ok with us, in a lower division in 2017-18, ending 3 complete seasons ago.  I tend to think what a player does over the last 2 seasons might have more of a bearing on his current status, don’t you?  Would you honestly be chomping at the bit to sign any other player in such circumstances? I think that’s doubtful.

But Interestingly you also completely miss my final point - I said that if SW-DF think he’s what we need, then fine. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes, he did ok with us, in a lower division in 2017-18, ending 3 complete seasons ago.  I tend to think what a player does over the last 2 seasons might have more of a bearing on his current status, don’t you?  Would you honestly be chomping at the bit to sign any other player in such circumstances? I think that’s doubtful.

But Interestingly you also completely miss my final point - I said that if SW-DF think he’s what we need, then fine. 

Now this has to be the funniest post in years, sorry Branston! But what do you think of Krul? Then take a look at his last ten seasons! If your bench mark on a keeper is how a player does over the last two seasons then you can write him off too! Before we signed him….he’s now showing how a run in a team improves your game! 👍💚💛

Edited by Indy

Ah ok - it seems we are judging players only on what form they had 3-4 years ago, what they’ve done more recently is of no interest/concern?  I’ll look on with interest when other links come through to see how lenient people are then. 

But yet again - I said if DF-SW are happy with Gunn then that’s fine by me.  I can’t see anything particularly contentious in that.

Gunn is fine as a back up keeper, I'd be much happier having to rely on him than 87 year old Michael McGovern 

19 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Completely agree with you on your final point.

The point I was trying to make (and perhaps didn't make very well) was that he has shown that he can perform at a very decent level even if he hasn't been great in the last couple of seasons.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Gunn is fine as a back up keeper, I'd be much happier having to rely on him than 87 year old Michael McGovern 

I love the idea of an 87 year old backup keeper! Who was it who had the guy as their backup keeper who looked like he owned a pie shop and ate the profits, if that’s not rude? It might have been a non-league side who had a cup run a few years ago, and I think despite appearances, he was actually ok between the sticks.

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I love the idea of an 87 year old backup keeper! Who was it who had the guy as their backup keeper who looked like he owned a pie shop and ate the profits, if that’s not rude? It might have been a non-league side who had a cup run a few years ago, and I think despite appearances, he was actually ok between the sticks.

wayneshawpromo.jpg

11 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Ah ok - it seems we are judging players only on what form they had 3-4 years ago, what they’ve done more recently is of no interest/concern?  I’ll look on with interest when other links come through to see how lenient people are then. 

But yet again - I said if DF-SW are happy with Gunn then that’s fine by me.  I can’t see anything particularly contentious in that.

What? Before we got Krul your own criteria of why we shouldn’t buy Gunn is the same!

You said”  I tend to think what a player does over the last 2 seasons might have more of a bearing on his current status, don’t you? “

Well prior to signing for Norwich Krull playing record! 

2016-2017  Ajax (loan) 0 (0)
2016–2017  Ajax II (loan) 6 (0)
2017  AZ (loan) 16 (0)
2017  Brighton & Hove Albion (loan) 0 (0)
2017–2018 Brighton & Hove Albion 0 (0)
2018– Norwich City 118

18 minutes ago, Indy said:

What? Before we got Krul your own criteria of why we shouldn’t buy Gunn is the same!

You said”  I tend to think what a player does over the last 2 seasons might have more of a bearing on his current status, don’t you? “

Well prior to signing for Norwich Krull playing record! 

2016-2017  Ajax (loan) 0 (0)
2016–2017  Ajax II (loan) 6 (0)
2017  AZ (loan) 16 (0)
2017  Brighton & Hove Albion (loan) 0 (0)
2017–2018 Brighton & Hove Albion 0 (0)
2018– Norwich City 118

You do know you could get a life.

Krul was a gamble, thankfully it came off.  We are now in the PL - a guy who has shown an extremely mixed bag of form for 3 seasons isn’t necessarily what I’d go for.  BUT - and I can’t stress this enough - IF SW-DF THINK HE’S WHAT WE NEED THEN ITS FINE BY ME.

I mean, WTAF. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

You do know you could get a life.

Krul was a gamble, thankfully it came off.  We are now in the PL - a guy who has shown an extremely mixed bag of form for 3 seasons isn’t necessarily what I’d go for.  BUT - and I can’t stress this enough - IF SW-DF THINK HE’S WHAT WE NEEDS THEN ITS FINE BY ME.

I mean, WTAF. 

Why do I bother! OK you’re right, Gunn is useless because he’s not played much and by your standards shouldn’t be signed, I’m glad you accept SW is far better judge than you!

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

wayneshawpromo.jpg

Wasn't he sacked for betting irregularities, or something, shortly after that FA cup tie?

Edited by JB

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Why do I bother! OK you’re right, Gunn is useless because he’s not played much and by your standards shouldn’t be signed, I’m glad you accept SW is far better judge than you!

Can you actually read?  Or do you just see a bundle of letters and assume what they say?

To make it perfectly clear, he probably isn’t who I’d have gone for but I’m fine with it if DF-SW think he’s what we need.  Simple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

That was someone like Sutton Utd or the like in a cup game. Didn't he actually eat a pie on the bench but then got done for betting fraud as his mate bet on that happening? 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JB said:

Wasn't he sacked for betting irregularities, or something, shortly after that FA cup tie?

To try and sum it up- Betting companies jokingly allowed people to place bets on him 'eating a pie' during the match.. And would you have it some random guy went and handed him a pie which he eat

DotU2DwWtyJd8-QR1UMdc-emiU5vvAHsDuPq2Gmx

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Can you actually read?  Or do you just see a bundle of letters and assume what they say?

To make it perfectly clear, he probably isn’t who I’d have gone for but I’m fine with it if DF-SW think he’s what we need.  Simple.

Yes I can read in three languages! You just don’t like being picked up on when your point is wrong. Well leave it there as you’ve started to get all aggressive……

Edited by Indy

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes I can read in three languages! You just don’t like being picked up on when your point is wrong. Well leave it there as you’ve started to get all aggressive……

Wow, good for you…there is a huge difference between reading and understanding, though.

As to your comment - my point of view isn’t wrong it is just different to yours, but as I’ve said all along I’m fine with us signing him.  And no, I haven’t.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Wow, good for you…there is a huge difference between reading and understanding, though.

Oh Branston. In three posts you've told the lovely Indy he should get a life, can't read and now can't understand. 

Do you think that gives you a clue why your views are treated with contempt?

6 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Branston and indy - yawn! how old are the pair of you? Haha!

Well he started it! 😂😂😂👍 Detention for us?

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

I think we can agree this is horrendously dull given we are apparently arguing whether signing Gunn is a great idea or an ‘I’m-not-so-sure’ one. 

• Like 1

Well, I thought Gunn was fantastic for us while he was here, and I don’t think a good keeper suddenly becomes a bad keeper. We’ll get the best from him.

However if it wasn’t Angus Gunn I might be inclined to question it a bit more, but that’s irrelevant cos it is Angus Gunn, he’s the son of a city legend (an actual city legend, no one of these new fangled everyone’s a legend types of legend), and is a proper city fan to boot. It’s a match made in heaven and he should sign on. 

I want a couple more season from Krul though at least!

Indeed, I get that he’s got a lot to prove, but if the money is correct at an initial 2.5 million in the current climate not too much
I was impressed with Barden and he’s certainly in need of a full loan season to get regular games for his development, but would hope at 20 years old might make an impact in the next couple years.

Edited by Indy

Not sure I’m ok to reply given my views are treated with contempt…

..but Barden did look a good prospect, a decent loan could see him pushing the first team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not sure I’m ok to reply given my views are treated with contempt…

..but Barden did look a good prospect, a decent loan could see him pushing the first team.

It’s a message board we all have views it’s just talk, if we’re in a pub we’d just laugh and move on!

Agree, but in a couple years we need a replacement for Krul too, so a decent younger number two is on our shopping list.

Edited by Indy