Maltesecanary

Leeds Agree Fee For Gunn

10 hours ago, CDMullins said:

And then he surpasses himself.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Get over yourself.  I said we will probably get people in. Whatever way you look at it, seeing Idah/Cantwell/Dowell on the pitch at the same time is likely to happen at some stage.  Are you aware of how highly Idah is rated? 

11 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Only LDC could label the signing of a 2nd Gk as 'A important statement of our intent'

Are you aware how important having a good back up goalkeeper is? 

Well, the last time we were in the top flight where we lost the main goalie for a prolonged period of time, relying on a callow youngster, we got relegated. Gunn got injured, Marshall stepped in, and we went into free-fall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, the last time we were in the top flight where we lost the main goalie for a prolonged period of time, relying on a callow youngster, we got relegated. Gunn got injured, Marshall stepped in, and we went into free-fall.

We were lucky last season that McGovern grew into the role when Krul got injured, and Barden did great when McGovern did likewise... But that was the Championship. I don't think anyone in their right mind would expect them both to fare so well should similar happen in the Prem. 

Getting Gunn in for £2.5m up front is a cracking bit of business and leaves plenty for, to quote Roeder, "new heroes"... 😘

I don't think this potential signing is just about this season. Krul has publicly said he sees himself playing in the Netherlands before his career is over; he's 33. I know we've got him on a long contract, but if he's told the club that in a year or two he wants to head to Holland, are they going to stand in his way after all he's done? Given his injury record, he's unlikely to be a keeper who plays til he's 40 so has a limited window in which to achieve his goals.

So Gunn may be a number 2 for this season, maybe the next, but also a future number 1. Mentored by Krul, he'll only get better. I understand the logic for signing Ruddy this season, but then we'd be at square 1 in a year or two. This signing could sort out the GK position for years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Evil Monkey said:

We were lucky last season that McGovern grew into the role when Krul got injured, and Barden did great when McGovern did likewise... But that was the Championship. I don't think anyone in their right mind would expect them both to fare so well should similar happen in the Prem. 

Getting Gunn in for £2.5m up front is a cracking bit of business and leaves plenty for, to quote Roeder, "new heroes"... 😘

Precisely how I see it. Not surprised that Billing's name is getting touted as obviously Webber will know him well. £15m seems a bit high for him, but mebbe Webber can play hardball or Bournemouth are in some financial distress and need quick readies...

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I don't think this potential signing is just about this season. Krul has publicly said he sees himself playing in the Netherlands before his career is over; he's 33. I know we've got him on a long contract, but if he's told the club that in a year or two he wants to head to Holland, are they going to stand in his way after all he's done? Given his injury record, he's unlikely to be a keeper who plays til he's 40 so has a limited window in which to achieve his goals.

So Gunn may be a number 2 for this season, maybe the next, but also a future number 1. Mentored by Krul, he'll only get better. I understand the logic for signing Ruddy this season, but then we'd be at square 1 in a year or two. This signing could sort out the GK position for years.

You'd think it would be with the linger view in mind. I think I'm right in saying even at £2.5m it would be the most we've ever spent on a keeper?

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

You'd think it would be with the linger view in mind. I think I'm right in saying even at £2.5m it would be the most we've ever spent on a keeper?

That's a really good point.

Krul was a free, Gunn a loan, Ruddy a few hundred thousand from Everton. How much did Mark Bunn cost? Can't imagine that was £2.5m. David Marshall? Wasn't he a mil or more from Celtic?

Edited by Terminally Yellow

Mark bunn was over a £1m but as Bethnal said, loan fees can be quite expensive and loaning a decent backup for a couple of years could easily be more than £2.5m reported for Gunn. Think it would be a shame if he went elsewhere but probably based more on the good value of the deal rather anything else.

13 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

That's a really good point.

Krul was a free, Gunn a loan, Ruddy a few hundred thousand from Everton. How much did Mark Bunn cost? Can't imagine that was £2.5m. David Marshall? Wasn't he a mil or more from Celtic?

Maybe Grant spent more on keepers in that weird season where we started about 5 different keepers.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Must be close, but like you say, with the longer view in mind I wouldn't be surprised if our keeper lineup from 2023 for a good few seasons is Gunn, Barden plus an experienced, near retirement pro signed for nothing.

So it's pennies if it does that, even with the add-ons.

It's also a testimony to Webber and the set up, looking at creating a better future that probably won't feature him. Who was the philosopher who said society is great when man plants trees under the shade of which they will never sit?

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

The team as a whole collapsed. To infer that the relegation was down to Marshall is unfair. In his first league start he produced the finest display of goalkeeping I've ever seen from a Norwich keeper. One K Keegan stood on the touchline shaking his head in disbelief as fantastic save followed fantastic save.  

The 'commitment' to spend £5M on a back up keeper who (unlike outfield players) in all probability will spend the entire league campaign on the bench is / was a waste of valuable cash when far more important priorities exist all over the pitch at the moment. It reminds me of when Worthy squandered £600k on a THIRD choice keeper in the summer of 2004. Back then (and by our standards) that was a very sizeable fee. Just imagine if we had used that to crank up the fee for Dean Ashton and bought him then instead of the following January! As it was the first choice goalie (one R Green) played every minute of every league game!      

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Are you aware how important having a good back up goalkeeper is? 

You clearly don't know what 'a important statement of intent' is.

You're a troll.

Leeds already have a 'back-up' keeper so unless he's on his way I don't quite understand why they'd pay £5 million for someone who may not even get on the bench.

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

The team as a whole collapsed. To infer that the relegation was down to Marshall is unfair. In his first league start he produced the finest display of goalkeeping I've ever seen from a Norwich keeper. One K Keegan stood on the touchline shaking his head in disbelief as fantastic save followed fantastic save.  

The 'commitment' to spend £5M on a back up keeper who (unlike outfield players) in all probability will spend the entire league campaign on the bench is / was a waste of valuable cash when far more important priorities exist all over the pitch at the moment. It reminds me of when Worthy squandered £600k on a THIRD choice keeper in the summer of 2004. Back then (and by our standards) that was a very sizeable fee. Just imagine if we had used that to crank up the fee for Dean Ashton and bought him then instead of the following January! As it was the first choice goalie (one R Green) played every minute of every league game!      

Sort of agree with the thrust of your first paragraph, but would point out that we had a fundamentally similar problem last time in the Premier League when our team collapsed due to a dearth of centre-halves. That wasn't necessarily a criticism of Marshall's performance, but having an inexperienced keeper in the ranks is something that can psychologically hinder a team regardless of the performance of the rookie in question. Knowing we have a solid number two is a big thing to have, especially as Krul is a bit vulnerable to injury.

As said, plenty of fans were nervous when his thigh went last time out with the thought of McGovern being number two, and that was in the Championship, not the Premier. Not to mention Gunn is also an age where he can learn from Krul and hopefully step up in time. At the same time, this also frees up Barden, Oxborough, Mair, etc. for quality loan time and seasoning to see where they lie.

This is a good move for depth and succession planning with a keeper who already knows the area and is home-grown to boot.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Farhmann’s loan free was reported to be €3m. 

Was it?! 

Blimey. 

30 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

The 'commitment' to spend £5M on a back up keeper 

It's only £2.5m up front though, isn't it. Even if it wasn't, I'm of the view that £5m to secure NCFC's goalkeeper for the next 10 years is a decent investment. And it's just a Brucie bonus that he has so many links to the club, is a son of a legend, came through the Youth academy and was not too long back an England prospect. 

• Like 3

Let us worry about outfield players. Have enough goalies to start the season anyway. Injuries apart have gaps to fill urgently BUT with the right type of players.

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

remind me - who was the reserve goalkeeper we sold before Gunn got his xmas injury?

Personally getting A Gunn here would be an excellent acquisition to our squad, short and long term and certainly if that happens at the fee suggested then well done SW for seeing and seizing the opportunity.

There is no doubt a good keeper in there and one that you could see performing really well for a club like us especially given his connections. Losing Krul next season due to injury does not bear thinking about and I for one can only see positive if this happens.

Another passionate, aggressive and dominant Gunn in goal for NCFC, is all good in from my view.

46 minutes ago, Thingy said:

Gunn isn't good enough to be a regular starter in the PL.

Exactly this.

Currently third choice at Southampton. Hope Leeds sign him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thingy said:

Gunn isn't good enough to be a regular starter in the PL.

He was, at Southampton until that infamous 9-0 defeat, Pink Un stating he had started 21 of 22 Premier games. Also yes lets get this Topic correct, the title of which says Leeds agree a deal...nowhere  is there any evidence of this, reports just saying Leeds are highly interested etc etc...there is a big difference between being interested and a Pink Un report laying out a deal and structure of the deal.

I agree with Lakey in that this IS an important position within a squad and if we can get Angus  in for even a sum that may eventually reach perhaps 6 mill then i think its a super deal and i personally rate Angus highly. Get it done.

• Like 2

It will be a test of his priorities. If he leaves Southampton because he isn't playing to go to Leeds where he'll have little chance of playing then it's about the money. At City, he could provide genuine competition for Krul and has a better chance of playing.

Edited by Yelloow Since 72

Just reading through this thread and people are perhaps not appreciating that the typical 25 year old keeper has their best years ahead of them, John Ruddy was at Motherwell at 25, Nick Pope was the Burnley number 3 after having just done half a season at Charlton in the Championship.Emi Martinez was a backup keeper at Getafe on loan from Arsenal, and wasn't a first choice anywhere until he was 28.

David Seaman didn't get an England cap until he was 25, and his big Arsenal move until he was 27, and he retired a legend.

Often the keepers who burst onto the scene at a young age actually fall off the radar, like Butland who went backwards, and Hart who was finished at the top level at 29. A lot of keepers establish themselves later on, and then play on to 36/37 rather than the 33/34 you see from outfield players. A 25 year old keeper is similar in many ways to a 21 year old outfield player.

25 is young for a keeper. Webber has talked a lot about succession planning, trying to have a players replacement already in the door when a player leaves, and it wouldn't surprise any of us if Tim Krul perhaps leaves in a year to play in Holland, or retires in two years.

Angus Gunn impressed at Stoke last season before getting injured. I like the idea of having a strong number 2 as a succession plan.

Oxborough, Barden, Mair all have a future in the game, in the same way that Arnold, Lewis, Rudd, Steer did, but I do think that Gunn is the real deal. He believes it too, why do think he hasn't buckled and agreed to play for Scotland? 

Unless he signs for Leeds, at which point he's sh*t and we've dodged a bullet, because I hate Leeds and I'm petty like that.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

On 12/06/2021 at 22:03, CDMullins said:

Only LDC could label the signing of a 2nd Gk as 'A important statement of our intent'

No, not 'only' LDC - you can include me too.

Having a high-quality back-up keeper is imperative. It's all-to-easy to be distracted by shiny-object syndrome for the next outfield player; preventing a goal against is as important as scoring one at the other end. 

• Like 1