Maltesecanary

Leeds Agree Fee For Gunn

11 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I mean we’ll find out if Gunn has love for the club. He already left once, if he chooses Leeds I think you can dispel any idea of love for our club.

Most people don’t love their employers, the romanticism fans have is pretty naive. 

Or the views that some have about people not loving the football club they were brought up with is pretty cynical.

2 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

I know for a fact that he is house hunting in this area 

His dad has also previously liked tweets from fans saying they'd like him back. I say previously - since the end of the season but before the rumours. Might be nothing, but I suspect he would have just ignored it and not responded at all if it was untrue.

19 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I mean we’ll find out if Gunn has love for the club. He already left once, if he chooses Leeds I think you can dispel any idea of love for our club.

Most people don’t love their employers, the romanticism fans have is pretty naive. 

Why is it that when ever someone tries to stick a knife in they always get things wrong.

Angus Gunn has left the club twice, once as a youngster when he moved to Man City to follow his dad who got a job with Man City - so understandable. The second time was when his loan to us came to an end.

I love my employers... a bit different though. My employers are taxpayers and I take great pride in knowing I am working for society.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Let's take love out of it then. Football vs Money.

It would be fantastic if Angus chooses us.

I'd take it one stage further....football v Leeds........ 🙂

40 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I wouldn't be disappointed to see Cantwell/Dowell/Idah as the three across the pitch and able to show that they can be effective. 

I’d be horrified if that was our 3 across the pitch as that’s guaranteed relegation right there.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I'm not too worried about the Emi thing.  Very disappointed at the time,  with the way and where he went, but we'll adapt to what players we have or can get and will move on.  We'll probably get one or two attacking midfielders in, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see Cantwell/Dowell/Idah as the three across the pitch and able to show that they can be effective. 

Adam Idah with all his assists and chances created when playing out of position is not the answer

The initial fee is about what we paid for Farhmann on loan. Sounds like the £5-10m add ons will be based on big achievements so that's not a big issue.

He's a known quantity, it feels like a fairly safe way to spend some of the budget. With the ability to challenge and one day take over from Krul the transfer is quite appealing to me. That and we do need a decent second choice keeper in case Krul does get injured.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Hopefully this is nothing more than a rumour.

Yeah, Banarama have heard that and so has Graham Parker.....

4 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Would be disappointing to be out gunned by the feeder club 

Lol, those were the days,

They've been behind us for 20 years and in one season have gone so, so far clear of us.

It's actually embarrassing.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Surely all clubs wanting to stay in the PL need a strong GK lineup?  To me this makes perfect sense and would be an important statement of our intent. 

Only LDC could label the signing of a 2nd Gk as 'A important statement of our intent'

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I'm not too worried about the Emi thing.  Very disappointed at the time,  with the way and where he went, but we'll adapt to what players we have or can get and will move on.  We'll probably get one or two attacking midfielders in, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see Cantwell/Dowell/Idah as the three across the pitch and able to show that they can be effective. 

And then he surpasses himself.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Edited by CDMullins

12 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Only LDC could label the signing of a 2nd Gk as 'A important statement of our intent'

Considering how many people were crapping bricks at the thought of McGovern going between the sticks when Krul went down with that thigh injury, I'd say a strong 2nd choice goalie, who is home-grown to boot, is a sign of being pretty serious in transfer dealings when it comes to rectifying team weaknesses.

Also great for Barden as he should now get a nice, season-long loan to see where he's at.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Considering how many people were crapping bricks at the thought of McGovern going between the sticks when Krul went down with that thigh injury, I'd say a strong 2nd choice goalie, who is home-grown to boot, is a sign of being pretty serious in transfer dealings when it comes to rectifying team weaknesses.

Also great for Barden as he should now get a nice, season-long loan to see where he's at.

Lol,

Typical 'lil old Norwich mentality,

You think any other club have looked at the potential signing of Gunn and gone 'Norwich are signing Gunn, they really mean business this year?'

9 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Lol,

Typical 'lil old Norwich mentality,

You think any other club have looked at the potential signing of Gunn and gone 'Norwich are signing Gunn, they really mean business this year?'

Doesn't matter what other clubs think. As Webber would say, ignore the noise.

Sorting out squad imbalances and weaknesses is never a bad thing in theory. Performance in practice determines how well they did it. Especially as it looks like (unless this gazump is true) the business is done early. Now let's hope there's a new centre-half and a new midfielder coming in sharpish.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Doesn't matter what other clubs think. As Webber would say, ignore the noise.

Sorting out squad imbalances and weaknesses is never a bad thing in theory. Performance in practice determines how well they did it. Especially as it looks like (unless this gazump is true) the business is done early. Now let's hope there's a new centre-half and a new midfielder coming in sharpish.

Completely agree,

But my original point still stands, signing Gunn is clearly not 'an important statement of our intent'

3 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Completely agree,

But my original point still stands, signing Gunn is clearly not 'an important statement of our intent'

I dunno, he's in quick. It's not just a squad imbalance that needed rectifying (and you did agree on that bit!) but considering the fact the window's only just opened, I'd reckon Webber's after being finished earlier than usual so that the newbies have more time to gel. Where I would agree is that there are other signings that would be far clearer statements.

5 hours ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

Wouldn’t be to fussed losing out to Leeds. Did ok here, not been overly amazed especially as he won’t be dislodging Krul anytime soon. Will be brought in as Number 2 and with the rumoured fee inclusive of add on’s being £10m i feel that money could be used else where. 

I can not understand why Angus Gunn not coming to Norwich City as he would have a good future here and to put on the pink in that he is coming back to Norwich is very strange 

3 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

If both bids have been accepted then the decision is with the player.

If Gunn wants to return then an agreement can be made on wages. If he chooses Leeds then that's ok and it wasn't meant to be.

Sums it up for me…..if he signs then great, if not then it’s not the end of the world. 

He did well for us and it probably encouraged Southampton to pay so much for him .... which they seemed to subsequently regret (I don't know the details.)

Players are sometimes a good fit for clubs and sometimes not whatever the fee. It is not normally the case with 'keepers though ... unless you remember Marshall's experiences at Ipswich .... so may be, just may be, he's not quite of the quality some assume.

It does seem a lot to pay for an understudy.

However and should Krul get injured it would be risky to rely upon a young Barden (Mair, Oxborough?) as much as we are led to accept their promise.

Barden did seem a cool dude when called upon ... and made decent saves and collects as well. Did he put a foot wrong?

What's Ruddy doing for next season?

Ed. Just found out he's free. Why do we need to pay a fortune for a successor to Krul when we have invested a lot into a stable of young goalkeepers who just need a bit more time and experience. We need a decent temp.

Edited by DannyGirl

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

We'll probably get one or two attacking midfielders in, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see Cantwell/Dowell/Idah as the three across the pitch and able to show that they can be effective. 

You ‘wouldn’t be disappointed’ if - after a promotion winning campaign - we sold our best player for a record fee and didn’t even make a signing in the same or similar position? That would be truly terrible!

51 minutes ago, DannyGirl said:

Ed. Just found out he's free. Why do we need to pay a fortune for a successor to Krul when we have invested a lot into a stable of young goalkeepers who just need a bit more time and experience. We need a decent temp.

And still lives locally 👍

15 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

As a point of interest is there any law of the game that would prevent a team playing multiple keepers? For example can only one player nominated as a goalkeeper be allowed to handle the ball?

Yes that's correct, although with the prior agreement of both teams they can play Monkey Rush, where anyone who is the last man back can handle in the box.

1 hour ago, DannyGirl said:

He did well for us and it probably encouraged Southampton to pay so much for him .... which they seemed to subsequently regret (I don't know the details.)

Players are sometimes a good fit for clubs and sometimes not whatever the fee. It is not normally the case with 'keepers though ... unless you remember Marshall's experiences at Ipswich .... so may be, just may be, he's not quite of the quality some assume.

It does seem a lot to pay for an understudy.

However and should Krul get injured it would be risky to rely upon a young Barden (Mair, Oxborough?) as much as we are led to accept their promise.

Barden did seem a cool dude when called upon ... and made decent saves and collects as well. Did he put a foot wrong?

Have to say, I thought we might see Ruddy back here. Would provide decent back-up for a couple of years until Barden is considered ready. I'm sure he wouldn't be too demanding for wages, assuming that he still lives in the area and he has had a few good years of earnings.  

I can see though, that Gunn sits in the middle of the age range between  Krul and Barden so probably provides a more solid "chain"

Edited by Mark .Y.