KeiranShikari

A couple of inclusivity ideas, feel free to add your own

Following football is getting more and more expensive and during this pandemic low income families have been hit especially hard. Many young kids will never have experienced the thrill od a Carrow Road atmosphere on match day and long term fans have been driven away. As an inclusive club shouldn't we be doing something about this?

Football is the world game and Norwich is an increasingly diverse city yet our fanbase is still incredably white (like seriously, don't season food correctly white). Why is this and why aren't the club (or it's fanbase) doing anything about it?  I'd suggest advertising in mosques, predominantly black churches and in schools.

We have a couple of thousand casual tickets available for every game and honestlty a community club such as ours should be doing more. I'd suggest we scrap selling these to casual day trippers and give/sell at lower prices to the aforementioned marginalised groups and perhaps others.

Thoughts?

Edited by KeiranShikari
  • Confused 1

I’m sure the club does and will do what it can, I think tickets are given out to community groups etc,  but those ‘casual day tripper’ tickets go to members, almost exclusively.  I’m not sure they would particularly like their chance of a ticket to be massively diluted.  

Were we a club like, say Ipswich, with swathes of empty seats (🙂) then absolutely fair enough, but when we sell out every week to ‘legitimate’ supporters it gets a lot more tricky.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I like the idea in principle that some tickets go to people who would be deserving of them, so good idea.

Low income and real Norwich fans maybe?

Would be good for the recipients and good for club image. 

Nice idea, but this is a business and a self funded one at that.

At the moment demand outstrips supply. Not going to happen.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Following football is getting more and more expensive and during this pandemic low income families have been hit especially hard. Many young kids will never have experienced the thrill od a Carrow Road atmosphere on match day and long term fans have been driven away. As an inclusive club shouldn't we be doing something about this?

Football is the world game and Norwich is an increasingly diverse city yet our fanbase is still incredably white (like seriously, don't season food correctly white). Why is this and why aren't the club (or it's fanbase) doing anything anything about it?  I'd suggest advertising in mosques, predominantly black churches and in schools.

We have a couple of thousand casual tickets available for every game and honestlty a community club such as ours should be doing more. I'd suggest we scrap selling these to casual day trippers and give/sell at lower prices to the aforementioned marginalised groups and perhaps others.

Thoughts?

So you’re suggesting selling at a lower cost based on someone’s religion or skin colour?  Are you sure?

• Like 1

The idea's a good one, I'd put a different emphasis - now as I live 200 miles away I won't know, but the question is what does Norwich do regarding encouraging kids along, either to football matches or indeed just getting into football? I think that's a pretty obvious line in - if kids are from more impoverished families who might not be able to afford gear, then free shinguards / boots etc. and bring stuff like free / cut-price tickets later.

I'd prefer a focus on the more impoverished here as no doubt you'll also catch a not inconsiderable proportion of people from mixed population groups in there. They'd probably want to come, but struggle to afford it, and they'd probably be more grateful.

2 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

So you’re suggesting selling at a lower cost based on someone’s religion or skin colour?  Are you sure?

As an introductoy welcome to the party. I didn't word the opening post very well.

I would say create more ways for people from lower income environments (regardless of the colour of their skin) through our community outreach to come to Carrow road on a matchday but, yeah, go the “don’t season food white” route if you like eh pal

You sound like a guy who has been so involved in American politics recently you’ve actually blurred the lines and don’t understand that this in a separate country. You think Boris is trying to stop Mexicans at the border or something. We have plenty of problems of our own to solve.

Is this site the onion?

• Like 1

I think a good option would be to give family discounts. We do kids for a quid here and there. Try doing something like that more often. I think a family ticket at Norwich would still be inordinately expensive for many.

In Germany the season ticket costs are very low and this has really cemented the family or community feel at games. 

Doing something like that could help with inclusivity.

While we're selling out, the really nice gesture to help genuine struggling families attend the games would probably not be something the club would entertain. It's a respectable thought though.  I can't agree with the positive discrimination suggested here in getting cheap tickets based on ethnic background. That would be quite divisive. 

• Like 1

I agree perhaps a section of the ground should be set aside for woke fans to make sure their many sensitivities can be taken care of 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Go to games which do not involve the first team like pre season friendlies which are affordable. A good introduction for children  ......or ......areas of safe standing to be created for this demand.......or  build a bigger stadium.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Nice idea, but this is a business and a self funded one at that.

At the moment demand outstrips supply. Not going to happen.

Really?

Never known any other business throw £5 Mill away.

Great idea,

I live away from Norwich so struggle to get to home games but do get to 15 or so away games per season.

I'm White

Mid thirties

No religious beliefs

And can afford a ticket.

Naturally this puts last in queue for a ticket.

How long does it take to convert to Islam?

Edited by CDMullins
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m sure the club does and will do what it can, I think tickets are given out to community groups etc,  but those ‘casual day tripper’ tickets go to members, almost exclusively.  I’m not sure they would particularly like their chance of a ticket to be massively diluted.  

Were we a club like, say Ipswich, with swathes of empty seats (🙂) then absolutely fair enough, but when we sell out every week to ‘legitimate’ supporters it gets a lot more tricky.

I agree, but doing it at a time when we really don't have to would have more of an impact than doing it when we were desperate for fans.

Rebuild the city stand with 10k more seats, loosen membership and guarantee x number of casual tickets 

• Like 1

Really interesting idea but until we are in a position to expand the capacity of the ground I think this only has limited possibilities.  It was thanks to people like Andy Cullen in the 90's that led to ideas like 'kids for a quid' which attracted a whole generation of young supporters, the majority of which (I assume) still attend today.  This  was at a time when we had a cracking team but not getting full houses.  What has happened in terms of attendances in the last 20 years (for a team that has been up and down and back) from the Prem to League 1 is nothing short of astonishing.

• Like 1

Slightly different focus, but this is wonderful from Walsall. They designed a third kit (with Errea) with the names of all fans who didn't ask for season ticket refunds.

Obviously, it would be bigger in our case, I suspect... but as gestures go towards fans, this is a laudable one.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "BBC SPORT Walsall FC Official @WFCOfficial A NOD TO OUR FANS Here is the commemorative third kit which features the names of our season ticket holders who left their money in the club!"

Great shame now when we play an away game the club takes most of the first team squad. My early days at CR involved watching the First team next week the Reserves

Pity we cannot play against other reserve teams at CR

• Like 1

II do often wonder if Norwich should introduce a dress code for the ground to ensure those that have differing gender identities should feel at home. Attached is some idea what I mean 

7B3C9EA2-75AA-4905-BD05-6243EFED08F6.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

II do often wonder if Norwich should introduce a dress code for the ground to ensure those that have differing gender identities can be ridiculed by those of us who are intolerant to people who don’t conform to our outdated ideas of what is normal. Attached is some idea what I mean 

7B3C9EA2-75AA-4905-BD05-6243EFED08F6.jpeg

Fixed it for you.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Great idea,

I live away from Norwich so struggle to get to home games but do get to 15 or so away games per season.

I'm White

Mid thirties

No religious beliefs

And can afford a ticket.

Probably not that long, but once you’ve converted you’re not allowed to change your mind!

Whilst he's visiting RAF Mildenhall maybe we could get President Joe to make a statement promoting inclusivity at the club. Maybe get him to paraphrase some of his famous inclusive comments during the election campaign while wearing a City shirt. "If you're having a problem figuring out if you're for City or not, you ain't black". Or maybe  "Poor kids are welcome at Carrow Road just as much as white kids".

3 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Great idea,

I'm White

Mid thirties

No religious beliefs

And can afford a ticket.

Gender fluid i assume ?