king canary

Clearing out the dead wood

Understandably there is a lot of talk about high profile departures like Buendia and possibly Aarons. However I do wonder what chance we have of shifting out the reasonably well paid deadwood (maybe a harsh term) and how that could affect their budget. The players I've got in mind are...

• Drmic
  • Trybull
  • Klose
  • Leitner
  • Heise

I'd wager that between them, these guys are likely taking home north of £100k p/w. Clearing these guys out can potentially free up wages for one or two decent Premier League players.

Heise already seems to have a permanent move sorted which is a good start. Drmic could also put himself in the shop window with a decent Euro's to convince a team to take a punt on him.

However Klose and Trybull both seem to have not done enough to impress their loan clubs to make their moves permanent. Trybull particularly is a concern- some reports suggest Blackburn were basically only covering 10% of his wages, suggesting he was tough to shift even last season. Leitner I've no idea what is happening- he's barely played for 18 months and must have a terrible reputation by this point.

I'd add Stieperman and even a Hugil or Hernandez to that list.

Thankfully a lot of these shoulf still be on their championship wage.

First question is "how long left on their contracts?" and then "is it worth a contract termination / letting them go on a free to save the wage bill?"

Drmic was probably the highest earner of those five as he came with a fair rep but also as a bit of a fallen angel sort.

6 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I didn't include those as they were at least involved last season and I can see some sort of role for them this (Stiepermann was the closest to being on it). However if you add those three I think we're more likely talking north of £150k pw

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

First question is "how long left on their contracts?" and then "is it worth a contract termination / letting them go on a free to save the wage bill?"

Drmic was probably the highest earner of those five as he came with a fair rep but also as a bit of a fallen angel sort.

Yeah Leitner and Klose seem like the most likely to go that way- both one year left on their deals and may be open to to settling for football elsewhere.

21 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Hernandez would have to be taken out of norwich at gunpoint kicking and screaming for him to leave us. Him leaving is about as likely as Norwich and Ipswich joining to form one team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Indeed, getting rid of those players should add £5m to our playing budget in saved wages alone (but it's worth mentioning that Drmic isn't actually in the Switzerland squad, by the way)

Is he not? Balls.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hernandez would have to be taken out of norwich at gunpoint kicking and screaming for him to leave us. Him leaving is about as likely as Norwich and Ipswich joining to form one team.

I like Onel but with the likely arrival of another pacey winger type I could absolutely see us moving him on. Unlike Cantwell and Buendia he didn't impress in his Premier League season and he was a bench player last season even after his injuries.

I'd be heartbroken to see Hernandez leave and legitimately think he still has something to offer! Zimmerman and Hugill will be kept around, I suspect, as safe backup options + good dressing room characters. Stieperman is probably gone. As are all 5 listed by the OP if possible.

• Like 2

If we couldn't do it last season, it's going to be even more difficult now. We're probably going to have to cut our losses and pay them off if we can. 

Pity because some decent talent there. 

2 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

I'd be heartbroken to see Hernandez leave and legitimately think he still has something to offer! Zimmerman and Hugill will be kept around, I suspect, as safe backup options + good dressing room characters. Stieperman is probably gone. As are all 5 listed by the OP if possible.

I think Zimmerman is sightly dependent on what we do with Omobamidele. 

It's pretty clear we're planning on signing a central defender. If we do then Zimbo may be kept as 4th choice to allow Omobamidele a season on loan. However if we decide to keep him then Zimbo would likely be 5th choice and on his way out.

20 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I like Onel but with the likely arrival of another pacey winger type I could absolutely see us moving him on. Unlike Cantwell and Buendia he didn't impress in his Premier League season and he was a bench player last season even after his injuries.

I think that’s a bit harsh on Onel if I’m honest. I may be wrong but didn’t he (like many others) fall victim to our injury curse that season? As a result he never really got going, just as last season, but a fit and match sharp Onel Hernandez is very much a handful for any defender at any level I’d say. Don’t forget, we need a squad not just a first 11.

56 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I think Hugill is very much part of the first team picture. 3rd choice or plan B entirely likely, but important to us all the same.

I cant see us getting a fee for Hernandez that would make it worth selling above having him as an impact option.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think Hugill is very much part of the first team picture. 3rd choice or plan B entirely likely, but important to us all the same.

I cant see us getting a fee for Hernandez that would make it worth selling above having him as an impact option.

Having spoken to Webber the pinkun journalists pretty much said we'd be open to selling. Presumably not going to force him out but what's the point of having a 30k p/w (complete guesswork) cheerleader.

That chat was also confirmed that we want a smaller squad hence my suggestion of Hernandez and Stieperman.

Honestly can't believe that Leitner is still on our books.

What sort of money/contract must he be on for us not to have terminated his contract and let him go? He's never going to play for us again, so it's a huge waste of money.

It’s really sad that football along with other sport is so weighted to the players, if they want to move they move if they’re ****e they get paid regardless! Funny business isn’t it.

But Kingo is probably right those players will probably never pull on a Norwich shirt again, but still take the money.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Having spoken to Webber the pinkun journalists pretty much said we'd be open to selling. Presumably not going to force him out but what's the point of having a 30k p/w (complete guesswork) cheerleader.

That chat was also confirmed that we want a smaller squad hence my suggestion of Hernandez and Stieperman.

I would swap Placheta to go out instead of Onel,  alternatively put Placheta out on a loan back to the championship to see if he can get upto speed in a lower half championship team then take another look at him next summer, if no improvement with regular playing then move him on. Think Onel is worth another go in the premier.

2 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Marco is well liked by Farke so doubt he'll be going anywhere, especially as we just lost an attacking player, Marco is one of our best through ball threaders now Mario and Vrancic have left. Hugill was definitely signed to be here longer than a season. Hernandez maybe but again, a good weapon to have off the bench and looked good in the prem at times last time around. 

Didn't Wild Bill Hickock clear out Deadwood with his girlfriend "Calamity" Jane Canary?

Where is Bill these days, btw?

Unless a season out injured has improved Stieperman as a player I doubt being Farke's mate will do him much good here. He was one of the ones I was most excited about seeing if he could step up and he clearly didn't. Stiepermnann has been here a while now and Webber knows the importance of keeping squads fresh. Again, he's also said about wanting a trimmed down squad this year.

I think Hugil was signed to help get us up, obviously he did even if it was mostly as a cheerleader. Like I said I doubt we'll push him but I certainly got the impression he's for sale listening to Paddy Davitt. He'll want to stay and fight for his place but the likelyhood is he'll be behind Pukki, Idah and this new wide player we're looking to sign.

They were keen on saying how much they rate Idah, I think he'll be the second choice forward and the guy we bring on to hold it up if we need that for the last 10 mins.

Put put this on another thread eariler...harsh in some cases, but gives you an idea...

Marco Stiepermann AM 25,000 2022
Timm Klose CB 25,000 2022
Josip Drmic CF 22,500 2022
Onel Hernández LW 22,000 2023
Moritz Leitner CM 20,000 2022
Tom Trybull DM 20,000 2022
Rocky Bushiri CB 15,000 2021
Jordan Hugill CF 13,250 2023

Do you ever get the feeling "we're doing it wrong"? I'd have Emi over these 8, and that still leave us bumper wages left over for 2 decent players (AM/ST?)

Is a smaller squad on bigger wages backed up with blooding youth* when needed the better solution?

(*It worked with Omobamidele this season. That alone could save us £5/10m)

You could arguably add these 2 to the list.

Sam Byram                          RB    20,000    2023
Christoph Zimmermann    CB    19,500    2023

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spencer 1970 said:

Is a smaller squad on bigger wages backed up with blooding youth* when needed the better solution?

This is literally what they want to do.

How the flip is Leitner on a contract until 2022, when he hasn't been anywhere near this club for 2 whole seasons! 

1 minute ago, spencer 1970 said:

Put put this on another thread eariler...harsh in some cases, but gives you an idea...

Do you ever get the feeling "we're doing it wrong"? I'd have Emi over these 8, and that still leave us bumper wages left over for 2 decent players (AM/ST?)

The numbers for Bushri there make me question wherever you got the info from to be honest. £15k pw for a player we signed from Belgium for the youth team?

Leitner fell out with the club pretty early on his contract. Doesn't magically get shorter because of that.

Considering Emi would have been on 35k had he sstayed this season I doubt a lot of those are too far off. Looks a bit like a Football Manager estimate on Bushiri though I must say.

13 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

If only they all asked to leave..

Didn't Leitner and Trybull have problems at their previous club(s) ? Them being the cause of the problems. I suspect that's why they have been frozen out. Zimmerman is not up to PL standard, though not through any lack of effort, and I am not sure Hanley will be first choice.

Unfortunately, for every diamond we find, it is inevitable we will be stuck with a dud. Even clubs who spend tens of millions on a player sometimes find they have a failure on their hands. As did West Ham, until they were able to unload Hugill onto us. 22 minutes over 3 games for WHU before he was sent out on loan. We will definitely lose shifting him on. Maybe Kings Lynn might take a punt. He truly is that bad.