Sign in to follow this  
Kenny Foggo

New Players

So Buendia sold, Skipp unlikely and Max promised a move... Thats one big big hole (right hand side gone) to fill yet alone improve... Wages an issue (Buendia was only on £35k a week and he was surely top dog).. can people honestly say we will be stronger than last year? 

(Sick of sponsorship talk..back to the reason we go)

Edited by Kenny Foggo

Can anyone honestly say we won't?

Can anyone honestly say we will?

Say you will, say you won't, say you'll do what I don't

Say you're true, say to me, c'est la vie

• Like 2

Losing skipp is major problem - he shored up our defence which was poor prior to his arrival. I think we will struggle, if I am honest, to be stronger next season than we were last. We shall see..

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Athletic reported that Buendia was on £15k in the Championship with a rise to £35k in the Prem.

Do we have any good sources on what his wage at Villa will be?

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Same report say £80k at Villa.

Holy crap - that is a disgusting amount for someone to be paid for kicking a ball about (I’m aware it’s not even as high as many).  But it is what it is, unfortunately.  When is the ‘rebalancing’ of things going to happen that we used to hear about?!

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Same report say £80k at Villa.

Thanks, move makes sense on paper, no denying that.

31 minutes ago, Hucks6 said:

Was only on 35k for a championship player. How do you know that

Was on £15k in Championship went up to £35k when promoted.

Point is, we will not attract the top talent if we are £30k below the average Premiership wage. It's fine having  £30m to spend but it's the wages that will be the issue.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Point is, we will not attract the top talent if we are £30k below the average Premiership wage. It's fine having  £30m to spend but it's the wages that will be the issue.

Top Clubs attract the Top talent generally, or hoover it up once it's proved itself to be so. So your expectations need tempering,  or  you'll  be back again with the same old whinge. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I said this in another thread but got shot down. It remains the case though 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Top Clubs attract the Top talent generally, or hoover it up once it's proved itself to be so. So your expectations need tempering,  or  you'll  be back again with the same old whinge. 

Insightful as always... How do we strengthen when we have sold our best talent and can't meet the minimum requirements to be seen as a good place to forward a career? Works in the championship but not in the top flight... Strengthening is the goal after all

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Supporting your club is commendable, unquestionable blind faith is idiotic... 

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Insightful as always... How do we strengthen when we have sold our best talent and can't meet the minimum requirements to be seen as a good place to forward a career? Works in the championship but not in the top flight... Strengthening is the goal after all

Buendia is a very good example of how a career can be forwarded! He came to us a slightly overweight but promising player in the Spanish Second Division and left having being called up to the full Argentina squad. The strengthening will probably come in the form of an older player with more experience compared to similar players of that ilk before.

Put it this way, we wouldn't have got a Lukas Rupp at the start of Farke's reign.

14 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

We don't need to attract the 'top talent'; we need to attract the rough diamonds and young potential willing to sacrifice a bit of short term income for the opportunity to play and improve on the biggest stage. We have a proven track record of giving players the chance to shine and then letting them move on. I'd say that makes us a very attractive prospect to the right kind of player and it actually helps us to weed out the mercenaries who would only come for the money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Although in reality no newly promoted club attracts 'top talent' thats proven in this division because they'll always have suitors from higher up.

We should be capable of picking players proven in the other top European leagues where wages are generally considerably lower and the lure of the Premier League acts as a big pulling power. But again, in a covid climate I think alot of the bigger clubs will also be looking at these options.

• Like 1

I am very concerned we won't be as strong as  last season, but I'm willing to remain open minded closer to the start of the season. After all, Webber might play an absolute blinder and sign some amazing players that will have us all going, "Emi who?" by this time next year.

Or we might end up signing a side of Drmics. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens. 

36 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Some players might choose to come here over big wages though as we have proved to be a well managed club and we give young players a chance to grow.

But yes, for the older and more experienced players that we need now, it might be a bit of an issue

35 minutes ago, Petriix said:

We don't need to attract the 'top talent'; we need to attract the rough diamonds and young potential willing to sacrifice a bit of short term income for the opportunity to play and improve on the biggest stage. We have a proven track record of giving players the chance to shine and then letting them move on. I'd say that makes us a very attractive prospect to the right kind of player and it actually helps us to weed out the mercenaries who would only come for the money.

We need some semi polished diamonds arriving before the season starts. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

We need some semi polished diamonds arriving before the season starts. 

If we are recruiting from abroad they will need to be at least sem-polished to get a work permit

56 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Luckily there isn't a rule that says all the £30m has to be spent on transfer fees and some of it can be used for wages.

The average wage is skewed upwards due to the players at the largest clubs who make £200+k a week wages, there isn't anyone on £10 a week to balance out the outliers at the top. If Norwich can offer £30k to £40k a week to first team players then there will be a very large pool they will be able to shop in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Luckily there isn't a rule that says all the £30m has to be spent on transfer fees and some of it can be used for wages.

The average wage is skewed upwards due to the players at the largest clubs who make £200+k a week wages, there isn't anyone on £10 a week to balance out the outliers at the top. If Norwich can offer £30k to £40k a week to first team players then there will be a very large pool they will be able to shop in.

Also this season we seem to avoided the mistake of giving a bunch of unproven players at this level a pay increase.

The point is we don't have time to faff around improving players this season. They have to hit the ground running. 

The fixture list will be out soon and if that presents us with a load of games early on which on paper we should win, then win them we must. We won't have time to be polishing players. The Premier League is unforgiving in that respect.

There are good examples of players progressing well, the crown jewels, but there are examples of more such as Hernandez, Placheta and Idah and others who are well short of the required standard. Below that a layer of youngsters here already that won't even get a look in.

We need some quality now otherwise we'll have a weaker squad then last season.

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I wouldn't pay any attention to "average Premiership wage" (also it's Premier League). Mainly because the top 6-8 teams at least completely distort that.

When the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City are paying their top players £200k pw, it will distort the other teams average wage.

Lets take an example. 12 players. 4 on £35k, 4 on £50k and 4 on £75k, the average runs to be around £53k. Now add in 2 £200k players... the average suddenly becomes £90k pw. I really, really, really wouldn't go by average wages in the prem for that reason. The champions league teams have buckets of money in TV revenue and international shirt sales etc.

16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The fixture list will be out soon and if that presents us with a load of games early on which on paper we should win

Errr which fixtures would they be then 😄 

1 minute ago, chicken said:

I wouldn't pay any attention to "average Premiership wage" (also it's Premier League). Mainly because the top 6-8 teams at least completely distort that.

When the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City are paying their top players £200k pw, it will distort the other teams average wage.

Lets take an example. 12 players. 4 on £35k, 4 on £50k and 4 on £75k, the average runs to be around £53k. Now add in 2 £200k players... the average suddenly becomes £90k pw. I really, really, really wouldn't go by average wages in the prem for that reason. The champions league teams have buckets of money in TV revenue and international shirt sales etc.

This is true, but I'd still imagine us to be somewhat cut adrift from the bottom in terms of wage budget. Not sure where Brentford would factor and how willing they will be to scope up their budgets, but us two probably around a similar level - with the rest of the mid-lower prem sides plus Watford a good way clear I would imagine. 

It may *only* be a 10-15k disadvantage but its still a clear handicap, and makes it very difficult for us to fight off interest from other prem clubs for first team regulars (Angus Gunn we got despite Wolves interest but he's a no.2 keeper). 

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

It's this! Have you seen Hanley's recent statement about being shocked at the fitness requirements Farke pushed the team through. He is an excellent developer of talent because he is able to push players past their perceived limits. Tag Webber's ability to locate young talent and this team is where the young up and comers should be asking transfers to. This is the path to staying in the Prem - we need to embrace the role of an EPL established "farm club."

• Like 1