cambridgeshire canary

CLUB STATEMENT- BK8 CONTRACT TERMINATED

6 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Good stuff, a lot of clubs would have dug in and spent the cash.

This is going to trigger a few people on here. They'll be more offended that the deal is cancelled than the people who were offended by the deal in the first place.

I'm offended that people find it offensive that the deal has been cancelled, and I was also offended by the deal in the first place.

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well I'd rather just look at our owners, who aren't murky, and yes I do see hypocrisy... from them.... Delia and MWJ have had a lot to say about ethics and values over the years. 

I don't believe for a moment Smith and Jones, or probably any of the directors, knew about the crude sexualisation of women or the links to hardcore p o r n. I would imagine the board was told this was just another betting company, and they assumed due diligence had been done and it was no better or worse, morally speaking, than Dafabet or suchlike.

30 minutes ago, king canary said:

I've said before, he's a sad sack low level **** poster trying to bring his hilarious edge lord act from 4chan and reddit to a Norwich city forum. Best ignored at this point.

This. It's just tedious and dull now.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don't believe for a moment Smith and Jones, or probably any of the directors, knew about the crude sexualisation of women or the links to hardcore p o r n. I would imagine the board was told this was just another betting company, and they assumed due diligence had been done and it was no better or worse, morally speaking, than Dafabet or suchlike.

Hey, don’t let facts get in the way of a bash at the owners 

27 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Never assume......check.....

Call me shallow. I’m more concerned with who’ll be wearing the shirt on the pitch come kick off on the first day of the season than whats on the front of it!

Don’t suppose the club will get that right either!

6 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

We don't know the exact figures, but when put in perspective we basically bought Angus Gunn for what was going on the shirt. In other words, shirt sponsors are often not huge income streams. If we find another one for, say, £3.5million then the net loss re. just that sponsor would be £1.5million.

However, what would we have lost from sponsors raising objections? It's feasible, but not absolutely certain, that we could have lost more than that from those smaller sponsors when all added together. As you rightly said, reputational damage and possible knock-on effects could have had a far greater impact down the line.

I suspect sponsors carried far more weight than fans, but either way, it is very much to the club's credit that they changed course. No need for heads to roll, mistakes can easily be made, particularly across cultures. Mistake was admitted, owned, let's move on.

Shirt sponsors are massive income streams for many clubs - some of top six etc. more than £30 million. We were bottom of the pile last time in the PL and we don’t seem very good at securing a lucrative deal with the right company.

Just now, Felixfan said:

Shirt sponsors are massive income streams for many clubs - some of top six etc. more than £30 million. We were bottom of the pile last time in the PL and we don’t seem very good at securing a lucrative deal with the right company.

In absolute figures it is a tidy sum, but I was referring to the proportion of income. Even £30 million won't buy you one Buendia. It'll probably get you Virgil van Dijk's left leg. As a standalone sum, it's tidy. As a proportion of all income generated, it's a relatively small proportion.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

In absolute figures it is a tidy sum, but I was referring to the proportion of income. Even £30 million won't buy you one Buendia. It'll probably get you Virgil van Dijk's left leg. As a standalone sum, it's tidy. As a proportion of all income generated, it's a relatively small proportion.

All I was trying to say was that we need to be better at it and a better commercial director may be the way forward.

45 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Call me shallow. I’m more concerned with who’ll be wearing the shirt on the pitch come kick off on the first day of the season than whats on the front of it!

Don’t suppose the club will get that right either!

You’re shallow…but as (within reason) I pretty much agree with you that makes at least two of us.  

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Hey, don’t let facts get in the way of a bash at the owners 

Errrmmm....

On 08/06/2021 at 23:34, TeemuVanBasten said:

If there are 'crisis meetings' I suspect it will be Delia and her husband, two white as white brilliant moral people who are probably less than pleased about this deal

Whatever fits your agenda hey pal?

Not bothered reading this thread, looks like it’s gone a bit off track. 

Ultimately in the long run this is a good move by the club, in terms of reputation in and outside of the club. I’m proud and whilst the hole for the sponsor money is a concern, we will likely have someone step in and cover at least some of it.

Personally I’ll do my bit and buy a new shirt for the first time in the world, in this world of super leagues etc we need to back our club when it shows a bit of gumption and does the right thing, even if not the most financially beneficial. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Errrmmm....

Whatever fits your agenda hey pal?

What agenda Is that, then? I don’t have one.  Meanwhile, you were having a go at and accusing Smith and Jones of hypocrisy without any backup.

8 hours ago, FatCanary said:

'Heads will roll'

Come on.

This is so 'angry mob' it hurts.

Heads don't need to sodding roll. They listened to you angry lot and they apologised.

There is a hell of a lot more we have to be grateful for to the people currently running our club.

There is no need for anybody to be sacked and I personally want to make it known (not that they read this board) that the work of our present custodians I am delighted with and I hope this model continues in its guise for many years.

Are you saying you think it would be fair for you to lose your job every time you make a mistake?

This is a Club that believes in giving people chances. Where's the Community spirit in pitchforking for people's jobs?

Makes me sick.

But it's the 3rd massive cocktail up Kensell has overseen - he's worse than Matt Hancock, god knows how he survives as well.  Two peas from the same pod.

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

But it's the 3rd massive cocktail up Kensell has overseen - he's worse than Matt Hancock, god knows how he survives as well.  Two peas from the same pod.

My eyes rolled so hard at the bit in bold I swear on presumed non-existent deities that they now have bloody six-packs! 😉 

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

What agenda Is that, then? I don’t have one.  Meanwhile, you were having a go at and accusing Smith and Jones of hypocrisy without any backup.

If you want me to rephrase it then....

"I feel like the executive team have contradicted or contravened the values that Delia and MWJ hold dear and so often make an effort to communicate and I suspect they would be disappointed".

I hope that clarifies my position, although thought I'd been making it pretty clear who I was attributing blame to when I started the thread "bye bye Ben Kensell" and that if I was blaming Delia you might have expected to see a thread called "bye bye Delia", but obviously that wasn't clear enough for you.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

…you didn’t say this then?
“Well I'd rather just look at our owners, who aren't murky, and yes I do see hypocrisy...
 from them.... Delia and MWJ have had a lot to say about ethics and values over the years. “
Ok, fine.🤷‍♂️

This long, sad decline in football began when they let women into football Never should have been allowed. Women's place in football is to make the half-time cup of tea. Unless they're Benny Hill type girls and then they should be on the pitch at half-time.

Didn’t the announcement video claim that other ‘champions of England’ had partnered with this lot? Man City? Will be interesting to see how they handle it. As well as other clubs partnering with the likes of BK8 etc going forward. 

4 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

This long, sad decline in football began when they let women into football Never should have been allowed. Women's place in football is to make the half-time cup of tea. Unless they're Benny Hill type girls and then they should be on the pitch at half-time.

Weak attempt. And that's when you've only got Real Buh as competition in the incel troll tournament. 

13 minutes ago, AB3 said:

Didn’t the announcement video claim that other ‘champions of England’ had partnered with this lot? Man City? Will be interesting to see how they handle it. As well as other clubs partnering with the likes of BK8 etc going forward. 

Not Man City according to Wiki. Google BK8 and I can't find a single club sponsored by this lot. I think they may have made that up or it got lost in translation.

image.png.996ed845dd23f0088159910107570519.png

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Absolutely this ^^^   They pride themselves in letting the professionals run the club and the board not interfere unless absolutely necessary.  I would guess this would be one of those "absolutely necessary" occasions. 

Would be nice to have a sponsor to be proud of though, although none would be preferable. Respect to Gippeswyk for the one year sponsorship by Carers Trust, and Swansea (University) - my fav was WBA years ago, The Health Council I think, although simply “ Sandwell “ on the shirt was super. Having said that Anything healthy might be a tad virtuous for some. 

If we are going back in history to topple statues, accuse cricketers of juvenile outbursts and arrest people for protesting then there is probably not a shirt sponsor available without a skeleton in the cupboard that we could accuse of something.

This one was a joke and bad research. Lets hope the next is less contentious.

The right decision. It was a shocking failure of due diligence. It raises some troubling questions on the business acumen of the management team at the club. I'm sure (or at least I hope) those tough questions are being reflected on.