Sign in to follow this  
Bethnal Yellow and Green

It's Gunn-ing Home

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Baffles me to be honest.

Good keeper but £5m on a backup when we're told we don't have a huge budget is...odd. I'd hope the pinkun numbers are more correct and there are add ons based on survival or appearances that could take it to £5m rather than £5m off the bat.

Wonder how much of a psychological affect this match might have had on Gunn.. Don't wish to blame him all for it given Southampton went down to 10 men too and all but.. A lot of those attempted saves were very awful, pretty much a 'My grandma could have saved that' tier, fair to say not his finest 90 minutes as a keeper, and he was in and out of the squad since then and never really looked settled or happy in goal after this match

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Baffles me to be honest.

Good keeper but £5m on a backup when we're told we don't have a huge budget is...odd. I'd hope the pinkun numbers are more correct and there are add ons based on survival or appearances that could take it to £5m rather than £5m off the bat.

Baffled by £5m for a quality back-up to a 33-year-old in the most important position in the team out of a transfer budget of seven, eight or nine times that?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Baffles me to be honest.

Let's not forget Southampton paid around £10M to sign him from Man City just a few years ago...

27 minutes ago, AJ said:

Imagine you quit your job for a lower paid job, your previous employment aren't going to pick up the difference are they?

My current employer also didn't pay my previous one a transfer fee, although they probably should've done.

I wish they'd chucked in Dave from IT on a season long loan as well, would've made my first year much smoother.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

Great signing....will give Krul a break in cup games

Usually we do only have two of those though!

Just now, alex_ncfc said:

How incredibly underwhelming.

Don't think he's anywhere near Krul's level to be honest. 

We've gone from McGovern to Nyland to Gunn as #2 and it's underwhelming? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I have concerns on his ability to be honest - he totally bombed out at Southampton and Hasenhutl completely lost faith in him. His loan spell at Stoke certainly seems to have some mixed reviews - so he has a lot to prove - which can be a good thing. Hopefully he can get back on track at Norwich, which is the only place he has ever really performed well. WIth add-ons that could potentially take the deal up to £10m it is an expensive deal all in.

Fortunately we have a track record of turning players' careers around after a down turn from initial promise!

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Baffled by £5m for a quality back-up to a 33-year-old in the most important position in the team out of a transfer budget of seven, eight or nine times that?

Yes.

Even in the days of Premier League financial largess you don't see many teams spending that much on a backup keeper. For example Palace have Jack Butland who cost them £1m, Burnley have Peacock Farrell who cost £2.5m etc etc. Also 33 isn't that old for a keeper- I'd expect Krul has a minimum of 2 or 3 seasons left in him. 

The fee in Bethnal's most recent tweet seems more reasonable. However I will say if we're confident spending this much on a position that isn't an immediate need it does suggest we've got a fair whack to spend. 

Edited by king canary

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes.

Even in the days of Premier League financial largess you don't see many teams spending that much on a backup keeper. For example Palace have Jack Butland who cost them £1m, Burnley have Peacock Farrell who cost £2.5m etc etc. Also 33 isn't that old for a keeper- I'd expect Krul has a minimum of 2 or 3 seasons left in him. 

The fee in Bethnal's most recent tweet seems more reasonable. However I will say if we're confident spending this much on a position that isn't an immediate need it does suggest we've got a fair whack to spend. 

Disagree a bit with that last sentence, I'd have said a back-up goalie was a key spot as we know McGovern's in the building as a number three, and it frees up all the youngsters for a season-long loan for quality seasoning.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes.

I think there have been signs of fallibility in terms of pure goalkeeping, no matter how crucial he is in other areas, and I would be surprised if he lasted as long as you imagine. But even so I think it good business.

11 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Bit more details on the fee. Seems it is back loaded, with some unrealistic add-ons.

10 million for him seems a yikes, even more so for a bench player. I get the sentiment, I get the 'he could replace Krul!' but 10 million for him? Really? When 'we won't be spending more than ten million on one player' is a factor?

6 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

How incredibly underwhelming.

Don't think he's anywhere near Krul's level to be honest. 

He was excellent for us in the year on loan. Always composed, excellent with his feet, commanding at corners,  and made some exceptional saves. I don't think those skills just disappear.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes.

I think those are actual back ups though, whereas Gunn is being signed to be our number one in maybe 2 seasons time. Its also worth remembering that whilst Krul will always be our number one, he has missed matches in the last two seasons and so we need a bit more about us than McGovern or a inexperienced Barden.

Perfect signing.

Angus was a great talent, got a good move,  hasn't kicked on, knows the club, has the chance to calibrate and improve as Krul's understudy and prove himself as a 1st choice Prem keeper in a couple of years time. Everything fits the profile.

Can't wait for the hypocrites to start moaning about us actually spending some money

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wonder how much of a psychological affect this match might have had on Gunn.. Don't wish to blame him all for it given Southampton went down to 10 men too and all but.. A lot of those attempted saves were very awful, pretty much a 'My grandma could have saved that' tier, fair to say not his finest 90 minutes as a keeper, and he was in and out of the squad since then and never really looked settled or happy in goal after this match

One of the most abject defensive displays you're likely to see, Gunn is possibly at fault for a couple of of the goals but he was left high and dry by his defenders for most of them.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

10 million for him seems a yikes, even more so for a bench player. I get the sentiment, I get the 'he could replace Krul!' but 10 million for him? Really? When 'we won't be spending more than ten million on one player' is a factor?

Unlikely add-ons.

Like "he plays for England".

Like Norwich getting into the Champions League. 

(Like Norwich avoiding relegation?!)

Basically, if the add-ons are ever met to the point where we're paying £6-7m for him, he'll probably be worth far more in terms of a forward transfer fee or just in terms of his contribution to our on-pitch success that it'll seem like value for money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

The tweet pretty much confirms Norwich won't be spending £10m on him - there is probably an add-on if Norwich get in the Champions' League for example. If that happens, having to give Southampton £1m isn't going to be an issue really. If Norwich stay up an Gunn players 50 games for Norwich, then I'd expect the fee to reach the £6/£7m mentioned in the tweet.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Urm, it says unlikely add ons. So unless we make it to Europe or he starts for England, this will be a 5 million transfer spread out over a season or two.

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The tweet pretty much confirms Norwich won't be spending £10m on him - there is probably an add-on if Norwich get in the Champions' League for example. If that happens, having to give Southampton £1m isn't going to be an issue really. If Norwich stay up an Gunn players 50 games for Norwich, then I'd expect the fee to reach the £6/£7m mentioned in the tweet.

Ahh, makes more sense. Misread it, my bad. I'll use 'long day and it's hot' excuse

Just now, horsefly said:

He was excellent for us in the year on loan. Always composed, excellent with his feet, commanding at corners,  and made some exceptional saves. I don't think those skills just disappear.

Nah I wasn't convinced, once Krul got going after a few games in the following season I thought he looked head and shoulders better than Gunn and was relieved we hadn't shelled out to sign him on a permanent deal. He also didn't look convincing in the Premier League for Southampton.

14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

23 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

See that’s weird, I know it’s a humiliating scoreline but I remember watching the highlights expecting to see an absolute howler from Gunn but surprised to see that he really couldn’t do much about the goals.

Which of the goals exactly are ‘my grandma would save that’ type of howler???

• First goal, decent save and pushes it wide, unfortunate that Chilwell was following up from a wide angle. Not his fault
  • Second goal, driven low and hard from around the penalty spot through a few players. Not his fault
  • Third goal, squeezes past him, probably will feel like he could’ve done a bit better with it but by no means a howler.
  • Fourth goal, smashed from point blank range into the roof of the net. Not his fault
  • Fifth goal, 1 on 1 situation and Vardy tucks it into the top corner from very close range. Not his fault
  • Sixth goal, another 1 on 1 from point blank with Perez who tucks it into the corner. Not his fault
  • Seventh goal, point blank header from Vardy, don’t think he had enough time to get the cross from that close in from Chilwell. Not his fault
  • Eight goal, Maddison freekick into the top corner on the non-goalkeeper’s side. Not his fault
  • Nineth goal, Vardy penalty. Not his fault

I make it one goal that was probably his fault, and even then it wasn't THAT bad. 

I know its easy to jump down the goalkeepers throat for being part of such a scoreline, but I think a mixture of extremely efficient finishing and a terrible backline in front of him is what created the freakish scoreline.

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Nope, not really. There's possibly an argument that his parry for the first goal wasn't a great one, although anyone who's played in goal will tell you parries in wet / greasy conditions are often just a case of getting a hand on it and hoping somewhat, and there's possibly an argument that he could have kept out the third, as well struck as it was. The others were poor defending and also excellent finishing.

I could agree that it's the kind of rout that can shake a goalie's confidence though.

Great character and did well for us when he was here. Imo couldn't live up to the big transfer fee and never really got going at So'ton.   Coming home to Norwich initially as competition for Krul will be great for him and us, as he will undoubtedly rediscover his confidence overtime working with such great characters as Krul and McGovern.

Win win all round. Love it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It says add-ons are unlikely to be met, so its probably going to be closer to the £5million mark.