Sign in to follow this  
Bethnal Yellow and Green

It's Gunn-ing Home

22 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

I Think Krul will Maybe Leave 

If he plays well in Euros maybe bigger sized team maybe interested 

at his Age also one last big Move for the Pension pot 

Nah. Not happening this season.

I hope he pushes Krul and makes it to number 1. But then I like my keepers to be able to dive with their arms fully out-stretched - handy for saves in the corners. 

Happy to see him back.....we do have rather  a lot of keepers. May be we can play a back five solely of custodians.

Edited by MORDENCANARY
Added comment

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I have concerns on his ability to be honest - he totally bombed out at Southampton and Hasenhutl completely lost faith in him.

Southampton also managed to wreck Fraser Forster though, then he came good at Celtic. Perhaps they just aren't very good with keepers at that club. 

23 minutes ago, MORDENCANARY said:

Happy to see him back.....we do have rather alot of keepers .

I'm guessing this means Nyland will be off.

And Angus Gunn being homegrown is a bonus, Nyland is of course not homegrown.

A minimum of 8 players in our 25 man squad have to be homegrown. We've just lost Skipp, and who knows if we flog Cantwell or Aarons, so it will definitely be a factor in our decision to resign him. 

3 hours ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

Suddenly when the money is being spent on Angus gunn, the Asian gambling and girls problem... 

Vanishes. 

Fickle morals. 

This makes no sense... Are you saying the complaints from the fans could only be validated if they derailed every single thread to complain about it, even threads such as this one which bear absolute no resemblance with the sponsorship topic?

30 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Kruls replacement in a year or so. Hope he regains his confidence from a poor saints spell.

Succession planning. When Angus takes over as no 1 we will have Barden and Mair as his back up. Both really highly rated and we have already seen what a good job Daniel Barden did last season. We won't have to worry about keeper position for quite a few years me thinks. 

This signing make sense, as we need an experienced back up keeper. Neither McGovern or Barden are PL standard if needed over a longer period.

What we have, and it will be known by Angus, is a terrific record in developing keepers. Mathews, Rudd and Steer most recently, and now Barden. All being local lads.  Which suggests Norfolk has an ability to produce good keepers, or realistically the club does, from raw material.

I believe the thought of both the club and Angus in this is he will be at a club where he can get things going again. We signed Krul, who looked to have been finished, yet within a few seasons he is not only probably playing the best football of his career, but back to playing for his country.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Baffles me to be honest.

Good keeper but £5m on a backup when we're told we don't have a huge budget is...odd. I'd hope the pinkun numbers are more correct and there are add ons based on survival or appearances that could take it to £5m rather than £5m off the bat.

Clearly a sign that they expect the budget to grow shortly ...

39 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm guessing this means Nyland will be off.

And Angus Gunn being homegrown is a bonus, Nyland is of course not homegrown.

A minimum of 8 players in our 25 man squad have to be homegrown. We've just lost Skipp, and who knows if we flog Cantwell or Aarons, so it will definitely be a factor in our decision to resign him. 

Good point actually.

3 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Clearly a sign that they expect the budget to grow shortly ...

Is that because BK8 have had a rush of new customers ?

58 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Is that because BK8 have had a rush of new customers ?

No but they are receiving a % of the recent boom in frankfurter sales in the Norfolk area, most supermarkets are reporting empty shelves.

happy with taking Gunn, improves our match day squad for not a lot of money in relative terms and has potential to either be a number 1 in future or re sale without loss, decent business but probably the easiest position to sort this summer.

• Haha 1

Seems a pattern forming for new permanent signings...Gibson, Gianoulis, Gunn. That has given me a good gee up to the start of this close season. Hope Angus can agree personal terms, a very decent addition to the keeper stock and hes coming home to.

2.5m up front for a keeper of Angus's quality is an absolute steal. Krul & Gunn competing for that number 1 shirt is such depth. McGovern has also proven to be useful. Excellent business. Krul maybe has 1 or 2 years left with us so this is long term thinking. Amazing signing! PS - Krul is my favourite player right now. He cannot leave. He won't leave. Norwich rebooted his career. He's said that he'll never walk out on us because of that.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Southampton also managed to wreck Fraser Forster though, then he came good at Celtic. Perhaps they just aren't very good with keepers at that club. 

Isn't their goalkeeper coach the guy who was our goalkeeper coach under Hughton?

Just looked; he's now their assistant manager. 

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Isn't their goalkeeper coach the guy who was our goalkeeper coach under Hughton?

Just looked; he's now their assistant manager. 

Pretty boy Dave Watson

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Or perhaps Celtic are in a really poor league. 

Underwhelming.

Averaging 20 games a season over the past five years.

Conceded almost 1.5 goals per game over that period.

Clearly not established himself at PL level.

Overpriced and overpaid. 

Too many looking at this with green tinted glasses.

Perhaps we are already planning for the Championship.

2 hours ago, unique said:

Underwhelming.

Averaging 20 games a season over the past five years.

Conceded almost 1.5 goals per game over that period.

Clearly not established himself at PL level.

Overpriced and overpaid. 

Too many looking at this with green tinted glasses.

Perhaps we are already planning for the Championship.

Poppycock.

£2.5m up front this is costing us. With various "unlikely" add ons that will take it up to £10m. 

If we end up paying £10m it will be because Gunn has been an incredible success. If that's the case, he'll be worth an absolute fortune to the club and far more than £10m paid. 

Prior to Southampton, Gunn was getting into England squads, being spoken of as England's great goalkeeping hope of the future. That was because of how he had done here, with Farke as his coach, playing regularly in a side he was trusted and comfortable in.

He's not had that since. The goal of the club will be to find that Angus Gunn again. If we do, we'll have our new number one for the next 10 years.