Sign in to follow this  
Bethnal Yellow and Green

It's Gunn-ing Home

1 minute ago, alex_ncfc said:

Nah I wasn't convinced, once Krul got going after a few games in the following season I thought he looked head and shoulders better than Gunn and was relieved we hadn't shelled out to sign him on a permanent deal. He also didn't look convincing in the Premier League for Southampton.

Really? What didn't convince you? He hardly made a mistake all that season (I think I remember 1).

58 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good for him to come home, but sadly he has proven to not be good enough for the Prem and will probably spend his time on the bench looking sadly at Krul. 5 million is great value regardless, but

First team regular starter signing when

How has he proven not good enough?   He's still young for a keeper and hasn't had a great deal of opportunity yet.  He's certainly a massive improvement on McGovern and still has plenty of potential.     

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Nope, not really. There's possibly an argument that his parry for the first goal wasn't a great one, although anyone who's played in goal will tell you parries in wet / greasy conditions are often just a case of getting a hand on it and hoping somewhat, and there's possibly an argument that he could have kept out the third, as well struck as it was. The others were poor defending and also excellent finishing.

I could agree that it's the kind of rout that can shake a goalie's confidence though.

The goalkeeper's union is strong with us TGS. 😄 Although we did have different goals down as minor errors. 

In all seriousness though I don't think it takes a GK union to realise he didn't have a howler that game. 

Again I agree that it could easily have knocked him mentally. He probably felt like a hologram afterwards. Could've found platform 9 and 3 quarters by running and jumping straight through the wall. 

• Haha 1

Its a significant upgrade in the goalkeeper department at number 2 with a long term view to being number one at 2.5m initial fee.

Absolutely fantastic business and a position worth strengthening considering Krul has had an injury or two with us during seasons as well.

• Like 2

I think it is win win. A local knows the club yes £5m for back up but how many games did Tim miss last season ?

Oh and just in case it hasn't been said, bye Nyland! His only contribution being to hand his Championship winner's medal to Teemu at least showed a touch of class.

6 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

The goalkeeper's union is strong with us TGS. 😄 Although we did have different goals down as minor errors. 

In all seriousness though I don't think it takes a GK union to realise he didn't have a howler that game. 

Again I agree that it could easily have knocked him mentally. He probably felt like a hologram afterwards. Could've found platform 9 and 3 quarters by running and jumping straight through the wall. 

Out of interest, which ones did you see as minor errors?

There's an argument on eight that he didn't get the wall position right and mangled his position a bit too.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Out of interest, which ones did you see as minor errors?

There's an argument on eight that he didn't get the wall position right and mangled his position a bit too.

I gave a summary in the prior page, basically just one goal; the third one, it was quite close range but near to his body (though that can still just be as hard to reach at those kind of ranges), he managed to get a hand to it but not enough. Its probably one he will think he may have done a bit better with if he'd managed to set himself a microsecond earlier, but far from a bad error either way and maybe even a bit harsh.

I didn't think the first goal you highlighted was his fault - he pushed the shot wide from the goal but it was just unfortunately that Chilwell was steaming out from a wide angle.

And I didn't expect him to get close to the Maddison one from that range unless he makes a pre-step to the non-goalkeeper's side, but that is always used against the keepers when they do it and the player goes the other way so... Not for me 

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I gave a summary in the prior page, basically just one goal; the third one, it was quite close range but near to his body (though that can still just be as hard to reach at those kind of ranges), he managed to get a hand to it but not enough. Its probably one he will think he may have done a bit better with if he'd managed to set himself a microsecond earlier, but far from a bad error either way and maybe even a bit harsh.

I didn't think the first goal you highlighted was his fault - he pushed the shot wide from the goal but it was just unfortunately that Chilwell was steaming out from a wide angle.

And I didn't expect him to get close to the Maddison one from that range unless he makes a pre-step to the non-goalkeeper's side, but that is always used against the keepers when they do it and the player goes the other way so... Not for me 

Then we agreed, as I queried three! 😉

Form is temporary class is permanent.

When we signed Krul his career was in the doldrums after an injury and having slipped down the pecking order at Brighton. 

Thank goodness we did sign him, he's been magnificent. 

Although it didn't work out at Southampton for Gunn- that doesn't make him a bad keeper. 

Gunn is still young by keeper standards and he could still be a future England #1 if he can recapture his best from and kick on.

It's an English player on the bench too- how much does it cost to buy an English player who could play premier league football?

£5m is a bargain. 

• Like 1

Makes a lot of sense, but this will be seen as his career going backwards from Southampton. He is only a couple of years ahead of Mair and Barden in development terms - I think this is potentially a very short term deal to allow them to get loans (for which of course we will get fees to offset the cost of Gunn). I don't see Gunn ever taking over as number one unless he improves hugely while he's with us.

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Yes so you did! Missed that

If anything, I'd argue with number three that many goalies might have tried with their legs, especially the likes of De Gea. The really funny thing with number one was that the ball was hit across him (he's shuffled left into position then Leicester cracked it off to his right) and he's reacted well to get to that, and oddly, if he'd only got his fingertips to it, he'd probably have tipped it round the post so Chilwell's surge would have been rendered moot.

If you get that much hand on a ball, it's often hard to parry it, odd as it sounds.

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

If anything, I'd argue with number three that many goalies might have tried with their legs, especially the likes of De Gea. The really funny thing with number one was that the ball was hit across him (he's shuffled left into position then Leicester cracked it off to his right) and he's reacted well to get to that, and oddly, if he'd only got his fingertips to it, he'd probably have tipped it round the post so Chilwell's surge would have been rendered moot.

If you get that much hand on a ball, it's often hard to parry it, odd as it sounds.

Yeah I'm with you. I always think similar when you get say a reserve keeper come in and make what looks like a worldie save. Is it a worldie save objectively or would the first choice keeper have had a better starting position, faster reactions and better athleticism - making it a more comfortable looking save? Quite hard to judge and compare saves due to these variables! 

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

I'm absolutely delighted with this. Angus was outstanding for a rubbish team in Farke's first year. I'm not bothered that it didn't work out at so'ton, I'm comfortable he has the ability to succeed. Plenty of players don't work out at plenty of clubs but are successful elsewhere. Just look at Holty.

If there is anywhere Angus will be a success, its at Norwich City. Back up keeper has been a long term issue for us, so getting Gunn in to fill the role and potentially take over in a year or two when Krul retires is ideal really.

Really pleased.

Me too.

OK if it wasn't Angus, would we be as pleased? Possibly not, but it is.

Really good news after a rubbish few days.

Hope we can get the personal terms over the line.

• Like 1

I Think Krul will Maybe Leave 

If he plays well in Euros maybe bigger sized team maybe interested 

at his Age also one last big Move for the Pension pot 

8 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

I Think Krul will Maybe Leave 

If he plays well in Euros maybe bigger sized team maybe interested 

at his Age also one last big Move for the Pension pot 

I think its unlikely, I think Gunn needs to get back up to speed again and Krul only signed a new contract back in December. There is the talk of cultural architects within the philosophy of the club and we cant get rid of one of the main ones, especially with Tetty having already left.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Krul gets a nice deal to be a 3rd choice keeper at somewhere like Man U or Chelsea in the future, not this season but maybe in a year or two depending on Norwich’s fortunes. He is homegrown and known to have a good character and would be a good person to have around in any squad. 

1 hour ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

Suddenly when the money is being spent on Angus gunn, the Asian gambling and girls problem... 

Vanishes. 

Fickle morals. 

Just on here for an argument aren’t you.

How has the problem vanished? It’s still rumbling on other threads.