Sign in to follow this  
Bethnal Yellow and Green

It's Gunn-ing Home

Great signing, but where does that leave Krull? He won’t be happy with being number two? 
Is there an offer in place for Krull?

Good for him to come home, but sadly he has proven to not be good enough for the Prem and will probably spend his time on the bench looking sadly at Krul. 5 million is great value regardless, but

First team regular starter signing when

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Great signing, but where does that leave Krull? He won’t be happy with being number two? 
Is there an offer in place for Krull?

Sounds like Gunn knows he's coming as a number two and to push Krul in the same way Fahrmann did, and with the intention of being long term number one considering Kruls age.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Sounds like Gunn knows he's coming as a number two and to push Krul in the same way Fahrmann did, and with the intention of being long term number one considering Kruls age.

I thought Krull was only 31? 33 Not bad age for a keeper but certainly needs to be considered. We’re spending 5 million + on a number two keeper! Not bad to have two number 1 keepers to be honest. Can we buy a striker next please! 😉

Edited by Indy

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I thought Krull was only 31? Not bad age for a keeper. We’re spending 5 million + on a number two keeper! Not bad to have two number 1 keepers to be honest. Can we buy a striker next please! 😉

Krul is 33 and considering his injury history I wouldn't bet on him being a keeper who can continue at a high level into his late 30s like others.

• Like 1

Seems a curious one. He's on £40k a week at Southampton, and he must be taking one hell of a pay cut because that would make him possibly our highest earner, which would be unrealistic for a second choice keeper.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Seems a curious one. He's on £40k a week at Southampton, and he must be taking one hell of a pay cut because they would make him possibly our highest earner, which would be unrealistic for a second choice keeper.

Sometimes the selling clubs will pay the salary difference for the remainder of the orignial contract

• Like 1

Great signing if true, obviously means Nyland is off to pastures new as well. 

Krul is our undisputed no1, but we need to plan for the future and even if one of the younger keepers makes the grade, we need a decent experienced stopper in our ranks. Makes the whole ridiculous transfer saga where he left to Man City seem a bit silly now doesn't it? Could have been here the whole time

1 minute ago, kirku said:

Sometimes the selling clubs will pay the salary difference for the remainder of the orignial contract

I would imagine that is a very rare occurrence. Once a player leaves their contract is normally over, meaning they accept the wages at the new club. The old club will not be paying them anything. 

Imagine you quit your job for a lower paid job, your previous employment aren't going to pick up the difference are they?

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Seems a curious one. He's on £40k a week at Southampton, and he must be taking one hell of a pay cut because they would make him possibly our highest earner, which would be unrealistic for a second choice keeper.

I think we had this discussion last time.

There are other motivations as to why a player would want to move than just the salary they are on. 

For me, returning to a club he knows very well to work for a head coach who knows him and rates him highly and to have promises of opportunities to become a no 1 at that club might just be the incentive he needs to lower his wage demands.

I think it'd be a fabulous signing, and if it has the same effect as Fahrmann had on pushing Krul, then the goalkeeper position is going to be fascinating to see two very good goalkeepers vying for one spot.

Let's hope we get it done 👍

• Like 1

Good bit of business for the future, we can use him to push Krul and carry on developing for when its time to say goodbye to Tim. 

• Like 1

This is a good bit of business. He clearly loves the club from his time here on loan and the connection via his dad, he's young with a point to prove, Premier League experience and can learn from Krul and push him onwards, while giving us suitable cover if Tim does pick up an injury. Nyland is recovering from surgery and I think there was more of a sniff of "convenience" about bringing him in short term, Gunn feels like a more permanent fixture.

• Like 2

Just now, curious yellow said:

Perhaps we will loan him out for a season or two. Eventually to replace Krul. 

No chance, he's straight in to be our number two. Remember we had injuries to Krul in both of our last two seasons so we need someone ready to come in, McGovern number 3. 

I have concerns on his ability to be honest - he totally bombed out at Southampton and Hasenhutl completely lost faith in him. His loan spell at Stoke certainly seems to have some mixed reviews - so he has a lot to prove - which can be a good thing. Hopefully he can get back on track at Norwich, which is the only place he has ever really performed well. WIth add-ons that could potentially take the deal up to £10m it is an expensive deal all in.

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I think we had this discussion last time.

There are other motivations as to why a player would want to move than just the salary they are on. 

For me, returning to a club he knows very well to work for a head coach who knows him and rates him highly and to have promises of opportunities to become a no 1 at that club might just be the incentive he needs to lower his wage demands.

I think it'd be a fabulous signing, and if it has the same effect as Fahrmann had on pushing Krul, then the goalkeeper position is going to be fascinating to see two very good goalkeepers vying for one spot.

Let's hope we get it done 👍

Yeah, we did. It just seems so strange in the modern era that a player would take a pay cut, as he surely will have to do, in order make a move that's more-or-less sideways, as he's going from being a backup at a lower mid-table club to a backup at a relegation battling club- although admittedly going from number three to number two.

Fair play to him.

Good start if it is true, as he should push Krul a bit whilst also learning from him, and also it frees up Barden for a season-long loan. Livingston was mooted in dispatches, not sure they're the kind of side best suited as they're quite a direct sort if I recall correctly but Scotland would certainly provide the test in physicality and toughness you want a young keeper to have.

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

I would imagine that is a very rare occurrence. Once a player leaves their contract is normally over, meaning they accept the wages at the new club. The old club will not be paying them anything. 

Imagine you quit your job for a lower paid job, your previous employment aren't going to pick up the difference are they?

depends how keen the selling club are to get rid and how keen the player is to leave.

If we're not happy to pay £40k a week but the player isn't keen to take a big cut then sometimes a compromise is worked out.

In this case, perhaps Gunn is on £20k a week with us, Southampton keep paying £10k a week until his existing deal is out and Gunn takes a £10k a week drop to get the move. Everyone "wins"

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I have concerns on his ability to be honest - he totally bombed out at Southampton and Hasenhutl completely lost faith in him. His loan spell at Stoke certainly seems to have some mixed reviews - so he has a lot to prove - which can be a good thing. Hopefully he can get back on track at Norwich, which is the only place he has ever really performed well. WIth add-ons that could potentially take the deal up to £10m it is an expensive deal all in.

And £5m is taking up a lot of our budget for a non-priority position to be fair, especially with Nyland still a free agent and also players of a similar level like Bettinelli available on a free.

But still, it's an investment for the future in a young player who hopefully can be our number one in a couple of years.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

10 minutes ago, AJ said:

Football doesn't always marry up with the real world! And it's often paid as a lump sum, I believe.

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

Great signing if true, obviously means Nyland is off to pastures new as well. 

Krul is our undisputed no1, but we need to plan for the future and even if one of the younger keepers makes the grade, we need a decent experienced stopper in our ranks. Makes the whole ridiculous transfer saga where he left to Man City seem a bit silly now doesn't it? Could have been here the whole time

But will Nyland take his winners medal with him? 🤔

I'm absolutely delighted with this. Angus was outstanding for a rubbish team in Farke's first year. I'm not bothered that it didn't work out at so'ton, I'm comfortable he has the ability to succeed. Plenty of players don't work out at plenty of clubs but are successful elsewhere. Just look at Holty.

If there is anywhere Angus will be a success, its at Norwich City. Back up keeper has been a long term issue for us, so getting Gunn in to fill the role and potentially take over in a year or two when Krul retires is ideal really.

Really pleased.

Baffles me to be honest.

Good keeper but £5m on a backup when we're told we don't have a huge budget is...odd. I'd hope the pinkun numbers are more correct and there are add ons based on survival or appearances that could take it to £5m rather than £5m off the bat.