For the future

Who thinks we will stay in the premier league?

According to the 2019 Global Sports Salary Survey, the average pay for top-flight players is £61,024 per week. You pointing to the average salary of a particular team doesn’t detract from that. 

for a free signing then, where wages reflect the saving, the wages of josh king are not particularly extortionate. 

All this Josh King talk, I’m sure if a player becomes available the right quality, then wages will be paid, but £60k for an average premiership player isn’t worth it, he’d probably want a signing on fee too, by the time you sign him on a three year deal and signing fee it’ll be near on £10 million package! He’s just not worth that money.

Also whilst championship are getting paid on average around £29,000 per week. The top players in the championship can earn close to £70,000 per week. Which is more than king wanted 

Based on his last couple of years King is a below average Premier League performer. He's also 29 and has next to no sell on value so I don't see why telling him to do one was a negative.

Again as others said it all depends on our trasfer window. Do i think we will sign another gem? I do. Let’s be honest no one is filling that Emi void but the Forest game shows we can still win without the little maestro. I feel we were found out in the Prem last time because of our defence and teams knew how to contain Emi and wind him up. He is obviously a lot better than last time but that is a case for all the players. 

At this moment i see the two promoted clubs, Brighton, Palace, Wolves, Newcastle as the teams filling that bottom 3 slot. Naturally everyone will strengthen but Palace and Wolves for me look a shambles. Emi won’t be the only big name leaving. Can also see St Maximum of Newcastle, Zaha of Palace and neves of Wolves all moving on. Palace also have a pretty big rebuild. If we sign 5-6 solid players (one being Skipp, albeit loan) i feel we have a good chance. Just hope they are in early enough and can train and get involved with the friendlies to drum in our philosophy. 

• Like 1

I'd be pretty disappointed if we dropped a large chunk of our budget on Josh King.

Just now, Fuzzar said:

I'd be pretty disappointed if we dropped a large chunk of our budget on Josh King.

He seems to be out of the running due to his wage demands.

If we do go down (even more so if its a rock bottom finish prehaps with even less points than 2 seasons ago) then I see both Webber and Farke getting the first flight out of Norwich the second they can and abandoning what will be at that point a quickly sinking ship to be honest.

They will have done all they could with us only to end up in the same situation so I wouldn't blame them for doing so

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

They weren't if you look at data sensibly. Obviously the top 6 teams make the average look higher because they pay ridiculous sums but as an example, Newcastle average salary was about 36k per week, as was Wolves, Villa and some below that.

I think this is extremely important point.

Makes no sense to compare with top 6 salaries. If we are hiring backup striker, for sure they should not be getting above the average salary of our team or teams that we are best to be compared in sense of direct competition. When taking into that context, Josh King's salary request seems quite a lot over reasonable. Decent signing bonus is something I do understand if coming for free, but the salary request itself just seems like silly number.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

According to the 2019 Global Sports Salary Survey, the average pay for top-flight players is £61,024 per week. You pointing to the average salary of a particular team doesn’t detract from that. 

for a free signing then, where wages reflect the saving, the wages of josh king are not particularly extortionate. 

Yep, but you're not being very intelligent in your observation or manipulation of data. That 61k average is hugely inflated by a few clubs paying multiple players well over 150k pw.

It makes much more sense to look at teams like Newcastle, Wolves and Brighton who all had average salaries of around 35k pw. Some will of course be on more, some on less.

When we are talking about a 29 year old who only made around 10 substitute appearances for Everton last season - 65k in context is pretty disproportionate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yep, but you're not being very intelligent in your observation or manipulation of data. That 61k average is hugely inflated by a few clubs paying multiple players well over 150k pw.

It makes much more sense to look at teams like Newcastle, Wolves and Brighton who all had average salaries of around 35k pw. Some will of course be on more, some on less.

When we are talking about a 29 year old who only made around 10 substitute appearances for Everton last season - 65k in context is pretty disproportionate.

That is why I also pointed out that top champs wages are, for best players, £70k - which is surely what we would consider ourselves to be. 

The average wage paid to players is irrelevant really. We have a wage structure in place. We could pay players £65k a week, I'm sure. But the fastest way to financial ruin in football is not massive transfer fees, but long contracts on inflated wages. Why do that for a player who represents a fairly substantial risk in his signing in any event?

10 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

That is why I also pointed out that top champs wages are, for best players, £70k - which is surely what we would consider ourselves to be. 

This data will be slewed by the fact that top wages in the Championship will be being paid by teams that were relegated and didn't have the sense to put in relegation clauses. Because some club is paying an unsustainable wage for a player doesn't mean Norwich should then do so too. I expect once the accounts are released Norwich will have been one of the top wage payers in the Championship - which is where they should be positioned.

Yep, we will be fine

the damage of selling is overestimated by sentimental supporters

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

If it is true that we balked at Josh Kings wages then we will struggle, because they were below average for this division. Sadly I think our sustainable model only allows for champs wages and that - more than transfer fees- will see us purchase from the bargain bucket and cross fingers and hope for the best. 

this is before we plug the MASSIVE losses of skipp and Buendia 

It depends if we balked at them vs the role we expect him to play- ie would he be a back up/super sub type? If so it doesn't make sense to make them your highest paid player. 

If we are going to give someone £50-60k p/w then I'd suggest it should be someone who is going to be a week in week out starter rather than a backup striker.

Just now, king canary said:

It depends if we balked at them vs the role we expect him to play- ie would he be a back up/super sub type? If so it doesn't make sense to make them your highest paid player. 

If we are going to give someone £50-60k p/w then I'd suggest it should be someone who is going to be a week in week out starter rather than a backup striker.

That I agree with. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I think we baulked at the fact that he's a w***er

4 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

I think we baulked at the fact that he's a w***er

In that case he'll be loving the recent turn this forum has taken.

• Haha 2

I dont think that's by any means typical though, as @Bethnal Yellow and Green suggested it would be the few players from relegated clj s that didn't have relegation clauses rather than the norm. If the best players in the champs are paid 60k as a rule and we've got promoted twice under our current wage structure then Farke, Webber, Delia etc all deserve far more credit than they've already received.

My concern would be the irony of changing our midfield to be more robust only to get relegated playing less 'entertaining' football. 

8 hours ago, For the future said:

I hope this club doesn’t sell any more players this season in the premier league as it will be the same old story do well to get to the premier league and sell our good players and go down.

Depend who goes and what we replace them with? Let's see the day before we kick off

• Like 1

If we stick to exactly the same style and sign a even more small, slight technical players then I think we'll go down, possibly bottom. If we try to be more pragmatic, play like we did v man city fir example and add 4 or 5 aggressive, physical, pacy players in key positions then I think we'll have a chance luck permitting. It's still going to be extremely difficult 

8 hours ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

We don't have a chance in hell of staying up. 

With buendia gone, we need to replace that talent to some degree, and buy about six players. 

That isn't gonna happen. 

Don't bother watching then. 

Some of us like to have some faith in our club.

• Like 1

Our natural range is 16-26 so we need to be at the top end of that to stay up. Unlikely with present squad but we may be surprised.
To achieve 40 points or an average of 1 point per game would be enough and it sounds awfully easy but last time it was half that so we need to get off to a flying start.

No idea at this stage and being relegated  again is very much secondary to ensuring that the stable structure thats been built  at the club these past 2 or 3 years is not destroyed in any way.

Yes the Prem is enormously physical but this season just  gone has been  one that was physically testing to the extreme. Playing 46 league games from a September start to the first week in May and yet finish with 97 points and the title was just incredible. At least, all being well, this season coming its 38 games over a more usual season length.

But to first things first. no one should need reminding we have a small matter of 10 consecutive losses from the awful end to the last Prem season so...looking for the first point or points will be the opening priority.

If we steer clear of the injury problems we had last time and we add a few good players to the squad , I am carefully optimistic... But it is far too early to tell. The Buendia sale was a kick in the gut , but our manager has shown he is the real deal ! Given a few more weapons , I think he can keep us up...